2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

NightMARE In the Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12/13/04, 03:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I learned how to drive/first car was a Supercharged 90' Cougar XR7. Passed my driver's test in a blizzard. I'm used to this rear wheel drive...right?

But let me tell you...This car was insane to try to get home after work! It's snowing like crazy out there and I barely made it up a SLIGHT hill on RT 91. I was so embarrassed, it was bad let me tell you. Turned 2 careful turns on the backroads and almost ended up in the ditches. Thank God for traction control. This car is worse than the Cougar in the snow, but yet when I tried to do a little doughnut (purposely) in the parking lot...It hung on just fine. I got her home and apologized to her.
Old 12/13/04, 04:05 PM
Jackass

Sigh, I read about all these people with their cars in the snow. Ford should hurry up and give me mine. I can give her a nice home. It was 83ยบ last Friday here! Heh, sorry for the rant.
Old 12/13/04, 04:05 PM

I don't know, I just took one out in the snow and icy streets and was very impressed with how well it held the road. The traction control seems to work extremely well with this car. I think a lot of people will start to realize that maybe Ford didn't make a bad choice fitting the car with these particular tires.

Try this, from a stand-still, traction-control on, accelerate moderately. The 05 will get you going A LOT quicker and easier than the previous Mustang, regardless of what tires it (the previous model) has.

When my 05 comes in, I won't be scared to drive it all winter. I probably won't, but I wouldn't scared.
Old 12/13/04, 04:06 PM
GT Member

I hope you just can't drive
cause we get lots o snow here
Old 12/13/04, 04:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Snowtires will help a lot too... They are worth every single dime!
Old 12/13/04, 04:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I can drive. I'm a great driver. We just have some blizzard action and icy streets here tonight. It seems to grab better when I accelerate harder, but it was horrible going up the hill. It just wouldn't grab the road, like the tires were full of snow and ice. But the traction control does work wonders.
Old 12/13/04, 04:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Maybe it's the type of snow you guys get, but I've already been through a couple of snowy and icy days here in Colorado and the Stang passed with flying colors.
Old 12/13/04, 04:32 PM
Queen Of Nascar

I don't think anyone is going on ice in a stang....just my opinion.
In the rain my new car does alot better than any previous Stang I've had, but ice and snow...no thanks...not moving mine.
Glad you got her home safe, be careful out there.
Old 12/13/04, 04:40 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm taking the Navigator tomorrow if it's still snowing, cause I don't want anything to happen to my Shelby. I think she would have been able to get up the hill if not for all the ice under the snow.
Old 12/13/04, 04:54 PM
V6 Member

I've driven my 2000 in the snow in Calgary, Alberta and sometimes we get lot's. Even on the worst days when you can feel snow hitting the bottom of the car it wasn't terrible. Then again I've always driven bad snow cars, 69 camaro etc. My 2000 has no traction control so I can't see the 2005 being any worse. When you get snow under the ice even a 4X4 has problems with hills(ala my 2004 sport track). It was probably more the road conditions then the actual car. There are some days were any car at all is extremely difficult to drive.
Old 12/13/04, 04:58 PM
Bullitt Member

that story is exactly why I moved to California.
My GT will get to play on dry pavement 365 days a year. (except for that one week out of the year when it rains)

I bet it breaks your heart having to SCRAPE the snow off of her.
Old 12/13/04, 05:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Use the Navigator - it's better suited to snow. Leave the Mustang parked (preferably under cover) until the Spring. It's not worth it.

No matter how good the traction control is, you can't get past the simple laws of physics that are working against you: a rear wheel drive, high horsepower car that's light in the rear and has wider, performance oriented tires. Cars set up like that don't handle snow well.
Old 12/13/04, 05:32 PM

SNOW-yuck! You should see the people down here in S. Florida all bundled up today. We have back to back cold fronts-it's actually in the low 40's. Yet-still no snow.
Old 12/13/04, 05:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If your going to drive it in winter, you should call up TireRack or DiscountTire and order a "Snow Tire Package". This includes a set of 4 Snow Tires mounted and balanced on a set of wheels of your choice.

I drove my 1998 Mustang (V6 / 5-Speed with added Traction Lok but no ABS or Traction Control) through 6 winters and have just begun to drive my 2004 (equipped the same) through winter # 7. I was tempted to get Traction Control & ABS on the '04, but figured I never wished I had it on the '98 (130k miles), why would I need it now ?? Also NEVER added any weight (I.E. sand bag or 2 in trunk) to aid traction !!

First 4.5 Winters I had Bridgstone Blizzaks ... they were absolutely AWESOME in Snow (car was almost more fun than on DRY pavement), AWESOME on Ice, but a little scarry on dry pavement.

Ran something over and trashed one tire halfway thru winter 5 so instead of getting just 1 new tire, I got a set of 4 Dunlop Wintersport M2's. These are higher speed rated than the Blizzaks (H vs. Q or 130 vs. 99 MPH), and handle on dry and wet pavement better than most "All Season" tires. The trade off is not as good of Snow & Ice traction as the Blizzaks ... but still 10 times better than an All-Season. Figured since 70-80% of my winter driving ends up being dry pavement, I'd rather have more confidence there. But no way would I ever go back to one set of All Season tires !!

With Snow Tires on this Mustang, I'd rather drive it (more confident) than my wife's Front Wheel Drive Minivan with regular All-Season tires and ABS. That is the kind of differene these tire make ... add the ABS & Traction Control that many of you have and the "Winter Driving Experience" should be that much better.
Old 12/13/04, 06:35 PM
Bullitt Member

If there is ice on the road you or anyone else will not get traction, not even 4X4's.
Only way to get traction is if you have studded tires, which are not legal in ohio.
Old 12/13/04, 06:37 PM
Bullitt Member

How is it, compared to the last gen Mustang? When I bought my 02, people went on and on about how bad mustangs were in the snow. I live in the Canadian prairie, where we get poo loads of snow. When all was said and done, my 02 didn't handle any worse than some half ton trucks. Sure, it didn't cut though the snow, like my front wheel drive pontiac, but was/is still drivable in the snow.

I can only assume, that the 05, with a 235 vs a 255 tire, would do better in the snow.
Old 12/13/04, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Stick two sandbags over the rear wheels and you'll be fine. Keep them as close to the suspension as possible. Never had problems in my 98 or 01 in the snow after adding them.
Old 12/13/04, 06:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Well seeing that its in Ohio, we are having a big storm right now ...

My Mustang is happily parked in the garage ... no way itll go out in this stuff.

300HP plus snow = spinning tires and DJ in ditch
Old 12/13/04, 07:06 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Never ever ever ever drive a mustang in the snow with factory tires. That is just suicidal.

I put Michelin X-Ice tires on my car and drove home from work today after 3 inches of snow fell with no issues. A lot of the intersections were ice and I was smiling all the way home.
Old 12/13/04, 07:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@December 13, 2004, 8:09 PM
Never ever ever ever drive a mustang in the snow with factory tires. That is just suicidal.

I put Michelin X-Ice tires on my car and drove home from work today after 3 inches of snow fell with no issues. A lot of the intersections were ice and I was smiling all the way home.
How much would a set of four 17"'s cost of those?

Quick Reply: NightMARE In the Snow