Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new stang broke down on first day

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/06, 07:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
new stang broke down on first day

I picked it up and about 40 miles later it would not start. It turns over but will not start. No rain. The engine did not get wet. I did not even beat on it one bit. They drove it from another dealership about 200 miles. Older guy drove it. They washed it and refilled the tank. I drove it home. I drove it to work. It sat most of the day. When I got in and started it after work, I drove about ten feet and it died. Nothing after that. Called a tow truck and had it flat beded to the dealership. They said they would not get to it till monday.
Has any one else had this kind of problem with their 06 gt??
Any ideas what might be wrong? My first thought is bad gas but I supose it could be some sort of module under the hood.
Old 9/9/06, 07:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe they filled it with diesel. Some kid did it at my work. Never know. Dumb luck though man, dont let it get your spirit down.
Old 9/9/06, 07:49 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks man, sorry. Let us know what ends up being the issue. I don't recall hearing another story like this. Has to be something dumb.
Old 9/9/06, 07:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm I wonder if somehow the fuel pump cutoff was activated...the reset switch is on the drivers kickpanel isn't it?
Old 9/9/06, 08:18 PM
Bullitt Member

A few have hit potholes that kick the cut-off in.I'm sure the dealer will check that 1st .Dont lose your cool yet.I'll bet it's just the cut-off.
Good Luck !and please post your progress.

-John
Old 9/9/06, 09:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jay_wx
Hmm I wonder if somehow the fuel pump cutoff was activated...the reset switch is on the drivers kickpanel isn't it?
Could be a possibility. I forgot about that cutoff.
Old 9/9/06, 09:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1200custom
Could be a possibility. I forgot about that cutoff.
Yup, I remember reading about a member here that had the same problem and all it took was to reset that switch.

Or, I wonder if the gas cap is loose?...
Old 9/9/06, 10:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
car will run with a loose gas cap... just throws error codes and lights up an idiot light (or message in message center)

fuel cutoff is a good guess
Old 9/10/06, 01:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by jay_wx
I would rather it be from bad gas over some like that or any thing else for that matter. I really didn't hit any bumps at more than an idle. I am sure I will find out monday. It had to go back to have a few nicks fixed any way and they are fixing them on monday also..... hopefully

It will be like getting a new car twice
Old 9/10/06, 06:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hey, I had the same problem with my Stang and it turned out to be a broken circuit relay that led to the fuel injectors. I suggest you ask the techs to check that out. It stopped my car dead on the highway a few times, and I was roally pi$$ed. Search some of my early posts from Dec 05 to find which exact circuit it was. I couldn't believe one little relay pin could disable the whole darn car!!!!!!
Old 9/10/06, 06:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Darth Stang
Hey, I had the same problem with my Stang and it turned out to be a broken circuit relay that led to the fuel injectors. I suggest you ask the techs to check that out. It stopped my car dead on the highway a few times, and I was roally pi$$ed. Search some of my early posts from Dec 05 to find which exact circuit it was. I couldn't believe one little relay pin could disable the whole darn car!!!!!!
it was the same problem a couple of times?? Man that sucks big time. How long has it been since it was fixed last time? How long did it take them to fix your problem? I know its not a wide spread problem as I have searched the boards for a while before I bought the car. Not even the gm guys have any thing bad to say about the newer stangs .... so it must be good LOL
Old 9/10/06, 07:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

found your thread Darth
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=41148
Thank-you I will pass the info along to the dealership.
Old 9/10/06, 07:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

No problem, it happened 3x and then it wouldn't start again at all. It would always happen while I was driving though, so i would be chugging along at 70 and then BAM!!....dead stick. Since it was fixed, nothing but smooth sailing.
Old 9/11/06, 09:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

They just called and said the fuel pump failed. They have one on the way. Hopefully it will be done today!!
Old 9/11/06, 09:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
They just called and said the fuel pump failed. They have one on the way. Hopefully it will be done today!!
Hmmm...I wonder if it's actually the fuel cut-off and they don't have the snap to check it. They may have assumed the pump has failed.
Old 9/11/06, 11:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I hope not. That is pretty stupid in my book ..... the fuel shut off switch that would shut it self off for no reason or form a few bumps. I understand why they need one but it going off from hitting bumbs is kinda crazy. Maybe incorparate it into the bumpers or when the air bag is activated that makes more sense to me.
Old 9/11/06, 11:27 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If my memory is working (Mondays, so...) the offical procedure for diagnosing any fuel related problem has reseting the fuel cutoff switch pretty much the first thing on the list.
Old 9/11/06, 12:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
I hope not. That is pretty stupid in my book ..... the fuel shut off switch that would shut it self off for no reason or form a few bumps. I understand why they need one but it going off from hitting bumbs is kinda crazy. Maybe incorparate it into the bumpers or when the air bag is activated that makes more sense to me.
You could lightly slap the rear fender on my '95 Taurus SHO and it would trip the fuel cut-off. The strange was that going over rough road surfaces wouldn't do it!
Old 9/12/06, 12:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by AWmustang
car will run with a loose gas cap... just throws error codes and lights up an idiot light (or message in message center)
How long does this take to happen? I had an idiot not put my gas cap back on and I drove like 10-15 miles before putting it back on. No idiot lights or warnings the whole trip
Old 9/14/06, 08:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

My stang wouldn't start last weekend when I was leaving a car show. Luckily, there was a guy there that knew where the reset for the Fuel Cutoff was located on a S197 (Driver's side kick panel). Pushed the button and it started right up. I have no idea what caused it to kick off. It was running fine when I backed the car into the parking space. The only work recently done, was the night before, when I put on my new 07 engine cover and new Granatelli Strut Tower Brace. I did have to drop the cover a little by putting the rear legs of the cover under the fuel rail brackets. The car ran fine the next morning, until it was time to leave the car show.

Quick Reply: new stang broke down on first day