Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never thought I would buy a Ford...

Search this Thread

Old 7/16/05, 08:21 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi folks,

This is my first post here after doing some major lurking.

Just wanted to say that I took my wife and son to a dealer a couple weeks back to check out the mustangs. I test drove a V6 and it was cool. Told the guy that if he got a GT in to give me a call so I could come in and check it out. That call came yesterday, so we went back. Turns out the GT was there but it was already sold so I couldn't take it for a spin but I did sit in it.

Didn't buy anything, but as we were pulling away my wife said "can I just tell you something, that is a beautiful car. You should go ahead and order one!"

So I think I just might!

The dealer said he could order one for me at MSRP. No deals. He also said that I would have to put down a non-refundable deposit. Finally, he said I could probably get one by September because it would be one of his first allocations. You think he's yanking my chain?

Any other tips you guys might have for me?

By the way, as the name of the thread suggests, I've never owned a Ford, never thought I would even consider it. Nothing against Ford, they just didn't make anything that appealed to me. I've always owned GM or Chrysler, mostly pickups or SUV's. But that new Mustang is so damned nice, I've never been this excited about a new car from any maker.
Old 7/16/05, 08:26 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Welcome Bill!
Glad you love the Stang

He sounds kinda fishy to me
I'll leave this up to the experts on here.

Hope you get a Stang soon
Old 7/16/05, 08:30 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

The non refundable deposit thing troubles me............. :notnice:
Old 7/16/05, 08:31 PM
FR500 Member

Welcome. I would question any dealer that requires a non-refundable deposit. There are plenty of dealers out there. I would get to know a few more!
Old 7/16/05, 08:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Welcome Bill!

I sold Acuras and Mercedes for many years. Doesn't make sense why he'd require a non-refundable deposit. It's not like if you cancel he's gonna be stuck with the car! Besides, deposits are ALWAYS refundable regardless if you sign a purchase order stipulating it is not. At least, that's how it is in Jersey.

Good luck with your purchase, hope it goes smoothly for you.
Old 7/16/05, 08:40 PM
GT Member

Wow you guys are fast! I was thinking the same thing. Obviously if I backed out (which I do not plan on doing) he would have no problem selling the car, probably with a hefty markup! So that bothered me. Are any dealers offering anything below MSRP nowadays?

One other thing this guy said was that he couldn't give me a price because I have to come back on a weekday between 9-5 so he could punch it in the computer. This was Friday around 6:30. Does that sound odd to you?
Old 7/16/05, 08:52 PM
GT Member

By the way Mike (Blackhat97), I grew up in Bergen County.
Old 7/16/05, 09:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Non refundable deposit policy indicates a shady dealer for sure. As was mentioned above, go elsewhere. There are plenty of dealers that can probably get you the car faster anyway without a ransom note. What happens when he says in September "uh, sorry but your car will not be available until January..." You walk away and he keeps the $500? :notnice:
Old 7/16/05, 09:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hey neighbor Where in Bergen? I'm a Bergen County transplant. Moved to Leonia in 2000 where I'm on the fire dept there and a couple years ago bought a home in Bergenfield. I grew up in Rockland County (Suffern).

If you don't mind taking the trip to Rochester NY, Karpro sells 'em for $200 below invoice I believe. At least he used to and offered me that price but I already had mine ordered through a buddy of mine locally. If I didn't I woulda been at his dealership: http://www.vanbortelford.com

This guy doesn't know what he's talking about. He can only give you a price, which he said was going to be at MSRP, during M-F 9-5?? Go to Ford.com and build your Mustang and it'll give you MSRP and invoice.
Old 7/16/05, 09:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree with the rest of the guys......look elsewhere......I had put down $500 on an order and cancelled it the next day......got my refund back, too, although I had to call the dealer about 3 times to get it!! :nono:
Old 7/16/05, 09:15 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by blackhat97@July 16, 2005, 10:12 PM
Hey neighbor Where in Bergen? I'm a Bergen County transplant. Moved to Leonia in 2000 where I'm on the fire dept there and a couple years ago bought a home in Bergenfield. I grew up in Rockland County (Suffern).

If you don't mind taking the trip to Rochester NY, Karpro sells 'em for $200 below invoice I believe.
HAHA, man your killing me. I grew up in Hillsdale and I went to college in Rochester (RIT)! I'm definitely going to try another dealer. Not sure about Rochester, although that would be a great road trip. Especially the way back! I'll check out the link. What made you check there? By the way, aren't the prices on ford.com for the 2005 model?
Old 7/16/05, 09:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

evilernie Posted Today, 11:18 PM

HAHA, man your killing me. I grew up in Hillsdale and I went to college in Rochester (RIT)! I'm definitely going to try another dealer. Not sure about Rochester, although that would be a great road trip. Especially the way back! I'll check out the link. What made you check there? By the way, aren't the prices on ford.com for the 2005 model?
hahaha small world eh? Well that will be a very nice road trip home and you could really make a trip out of it and visit your old RIT haunts When I first joined this board Karpro was very active and helpful to the members here; offering advice and guiding us through our ordering processes, how to deal with bad dealers etc. I do believe some members purchased cars from him. Although I didn't buy from him I'll gladly steer anyone his way based on my dealings with him.

I think you're right about the pricing on Ford's website. '06 isn't out yet so yeah, it wouldn't be there There are members on here who have '06s on order who may be able to give you an idea and there is a section on the main page for '06 info. You may want to search in there as well.

EDIT: ISELLFORD has a sticky in this section titled "06 ordering guide"
Old 7/16/05, 09:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by evilernie@July 16, 2005, 9:24 PM
Hi folks,

The dealer said he could order one for me at MSRP. No deals. He also said that I would have to put down a non-refundable deposit.

Hello, welcome aboard! The prices on Mustangs are coming down, there are lots of reports of people getting them far below sticker price now. Some dealers are honoring X plan on them now, so the deals are out there. Shop around and you should be able to get 1000+ below sticker. What you quoted above doesn't necessarily mean they're out to rip you off, it's just typical dealer-speak. They always go for the moon initially to see if you'll bite. You could probably negotiate down from there, just make it clear to them that if you don't get to where you want, you'll shop elsewhere. I hate negotiating with dealers, but unfortunately that's life unless you're buying a Saturn.
Old 7/16/05, 10:13 PM
Cobra Member

Order one. It is one of the best things I have ever done.

As for the dealer, the point of charging MSRP and not budging, not giving any deals, etc. is based on the fact that the car is in super high demand. On the flip side, the point of taking a non-refundable deposit is so that the dealer won't get stuck with a low demand order if the buyer backs out. He can't have it both ways. If he demands the non-refunable deposit, he should be willing to deal on the price, well under MSRP, and vice-versa. He is trying to have his cake and eat it to. There is absolutely no reason to demand a non-refundable deposit on the GT. He will sell it in a heartbeat, at MSRP if not higher, were you to back out. My advice, for what it is worth, is to order the car, but not with this dealer. You may have a hard time finding it for under MSRP, but this guy is shady. The deposit would be a deal breaker for me.
Old 7/16/05, 10:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by John SCB@July 16, 2005, 10:03 PM
There are plenty of dealers that can probably get you the car faster anyway without a ransom note. What happens when he says in September "uh, sorry but your car will not be available until January..." You walk away and he keeps the $500? :notnice:
Faster than september? prolly not. but I still would shop elsewhere, no need for a deposit.
i offered my dealer one, he didnt want it. said you cant build a bad GT. meaning he knows he can sell it.
Old 7/16/05, 11:09 PM
Cobra Member

You might want to check out the Ford salesman forum. I'll bet you can get a better deal through them and there are some close to you.
Old 7/16/05, 11:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Also check this thread post from Carlos at Yeomans ford in daytona beach, he has been getting alot of people over at that forum Gt's at MSRP and recently a few on X plan. He can have the car drop shipped to your local dealer, i think its like 500. or you can go pick it up in daytona.

seems totally legit, and you can follow the thread with the people that ordered from him, and have orders in. He gets em fast too. dont ask me how

thread here
Old 7/17/05, 07:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

For driving about 4 hours south, you can get a GT with no mark-up from Crossroads Ford in ary, NC. If you sign the purchase agreement and spitulate a refundable deposit (full amount) you won't have any problems.
Old 7/17/05, 09:18 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To get a good deal, you have to shop around and be patient.

With the non-refundable deposit, I don't think your sales guy is genuine and will probably give you a poor sales experience.

Go from dealer to dealer to find the best price. The ones who are selling below MSRP probably have a bit of a lineup, but if a good deal is important to you, a few months won't be critical.
Old 7/17/05, 09:22 AM
GT Member

Wow, thanks for all the replies everyone! I will do some shopping around.

Quick Reply: Never thought I would buy a Ford...