2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help--Dead Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 1/9/06, 10:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, My 1 month old Stang just had it's first hiccup. While driving in traffic, probably about 40MPH, the throttle stopped responding. Totally dead pedal, not even in "limp home mode", just stopped. Car was still running, and i manged to coast over into the emergency lane. When I stopped, still dead pedal. Turned off car, tried to restart, no joy. Tried about 12 times, got out, looked at the engine an checked throttle body connectors (BTW, engine is still nice and clean, only 1250 miles). Nothign seemed out of the ordinary, went to talk to a roadside assistance guy, resigned myself to having to get towed, and then it started up after 10 mins.

Before that, the CEL and TCS lights came on while trying to start it, and it wouldn't catch. I'm really concerned because this happened without warning while I was driving ( thank god it was not during 'spirited driving') and right now taking it to the dealer seems worthless because it works just fine. Hopefully someone here has had this happen. And before the wisenheimers chime in, i tried the search, but everytime I tried to open a topic I got the cannot find server message. This car has been great, and it's great again, but I need to know if I need to do some pre-emptive maintenance.

TIA

-Darth

:jedi:
Old 1/9/06, 11:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Bummer.

Take it to the dealers. They may be able to recover codes. At least get it documented if you have furhter problems
Old 1/10/06, 12:15 AM
FR500 Member

and if this continues, its a lemon.....but thats definitely something ur dealer will take care of for FREE
Old 1/10/06, 01:19 AM
FR500 Member

[quote=Darth Stang,January 9, 2006, 9:51 AM]

You can buy a fairly inexpensive code reader at your local auto parts store and check the codes yourself. Just plug & play. Comes with simple directions. Then you'll have the reader at your disposal for the future also.

Paul
Old 1/10/06, 05:12 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The problems I read about these stangs are just unbelievable.Is this normal for all car manufacturers or what.? Getting very discouraged. hope you get your problem resolved.Good luck
Old 1/10/06, 06:30 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hopefully it has nothing to do with the Xcal tune and the dealer can figure it out.
Old 1/10/06, 07:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Boltzman@January 10, 2006, 6:15 AM
The problems I read about these stangs are just unbelievable.Is this normal for all car manufacturers or what.? Getting very discouraged. hope you get your problem resolved.Good luck
Every car is going to have issues. This is where we talk about them. Going to honda or toyota forum and reading in the their tech section will be the same.

FYI, I've got 15000kms on my GT, and haven't had a single issue.
Old 1/10/06, 09:41 AM
Cobra Member

I'm not going to deny that manufacturers have problems with cars, but I've owned more than one Honda and have previously owned a C5 Corvette with a wireless throttle. I couldn't even tell either car doesn't have a throttle cable, and they were (are) completely stock.

I've even spent time on the GTO and LS1 forums, who now also have cableless throttes, and I don't think I've ever seen a complaint about cars stalling after running on the hwy at speeds, not slowing down after letting off the gas, etc. Ford definately doesn't have the bugs worked out of this system.

Hopefully they will correct the issues.
Old 1/10/06, 10:02 AM
Cobra Member

under normal circumstances .. unless youve read problems from 250,000 different people then your reading from a extremely small % ... people dont normally post hi my name is jason and my mustang has no problems
Old 1/10/06, 10:14 AM
Team Mustang Source

FYI, I don't have the XCal 2 yet, those are my planned mods, the car is bone stock.

I'm hoping the Xcal 2 will prevent these kinds of issues actually...

-Darth

Old 1/10/06, 10:18 AM
FR500 Member

My name is Tony, no problems except the strut clunking, which was fixed per the TSB.

There is a TSB out there on the throttle position sensor, I'd look in that direction and see if the symptoms are similar, if they are I'd print out that TSB, and take it back to the dealer
Old 1/10/06, 12:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Which TSB is that, I checked the Sticky, it wasn;t there, please post a link if you know where to get it, thanks!

-Darth

Old 1/10/06, 01:16 PM
FR500 Member

This is the one that probably fits yours.

http://www.bradbarnett.net/mustangs/galaxi..._15throttle.pdf

Now it's supposed to be for vehicles built way before yours, but sounds similar to what you're experiencing. A new throttle postion sensor is installed along with a new PCM calibration.
Old 1/10/06, 04:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks man, I'll see if this works!

-Darth

Old 1/10/06, 06:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by lodom@January 10, 2006, 11:44 AM
I'm not going to deny that manufacturers have problems with cars, but I've owned more than one Honda and have previously owned a C5 Corvette with a wireless throttle. I couldn't even tell either car doesn't have a throttle cable, and they were (are) completely stock.

I've even spent time on the GTO and LS1 forums, who now also have cableless throttes, and I don't think I've ever seen a complaint about cars stalling after running on the hwy at speeds, not slowing down after letting off the gas, etc. Ford definately doesn't have the bugs worked out of this system.

Hopefully they will correct the issues.
My workplace has a 1999 GMC Savana that had an electronic throttle replaced under warranty. You'd pull up to a light or intersection, stop and wait for traffic. At any unexpected time applying the throttle would give nothing but the vehicles idle. The only way to reactivate the throttle was to shut the engine off and restart. Very dangerous in heavy traffic.
Old 1/12/06, 12:11 PM
Cobra Member

Was the truck repaired?

I wasn't suggesting that other manufacturers dont' have problems. It just seems more widespread on the Mustang than the other cars I've seen. 05 was the first year the GTO had the system, and I didn't see any serious complaints right from the start. It is weird driving a car that won't downshift when you give it gas or slow down when you let off the gas in an automatic version. I'm just saying the cars I've owned with the system have performend flawlessly, except for the Mustang.

All cars seem to be ooing to this system due in par to the tigher emission requirements.
Old 1/12/06, 09:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, the throttle assy was replaced under warranty.

I myself, think the mustangs throttle response is simply Ford's conservative programming for emissions and engine wear longevity. I just noticed the other day upon cold start and instant driving while the PCM's in "open loop" the throttle response was perfect. Hopefully they'll come around to owners complaints and offer a reflash tsb to address this annoyance.

I've never driven an automatic yet but could imagine it being more tempermental to the throttle response than my 5 spd.
Old 1/13/06, 08:02 AM
Team Mustang Source

Okay, Wanted to bump this back up, it happened again this morning, except this time I realize that the whole engine shut off, not just the throttle. I was doing about 65 on the Beltway heading for an exit when I got the dead pedal and then noticed the whole board was dead, even had problems getting the brake to engage. Steering was real hard (no power), but I managed to coast about 1/3 mile to an empty parking lot where I waited 5 mins and after a few tries it started strong. I was thinking (more like hoping) it was bad gas, but I just filled up today. I'm going to add some water remover, but now I'm looking for anyone who has had their car shutoff on them while driving.

Also, called a dealer, they said technician would have to be there when it happens to diagnose, is this BS? Doesn't the mustang have a datalog they can check?

-Darth

Old 1/13/06, 11:06 AM
FR500 Member

Damned dealerships, they **** me off when they take that attitude. Yes, they can access the computer and trace back.

Too bad you don't have the X-Cal now, you'd be able to grab the codes it's spitting out. If you want you can go to any Auto Parts store and pick up an inexpensive code reader and carry it with you.

When dealing with problematic dealerships like that. My best advise is to not let them talk at all. You tell them what they're going to do, don't let them tell you anything.

I'm just lucky I guess, I got a good dealership that doesn't try to give me the runaround.
Old 1/13/06, 07:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

[quote=Darth Stang,January 13, 2006, 10:05 AM]
Okay, Wanted to bump this back up, it happened again this morning, except this time I realize that the whole engine shut off, not just the throttle. I was doing about 65 on the Beltway heading for an exit when I got the dead pedal and then noticed the whole board was dead,

Before you take it to the dealer, have you checked your battery terminals and the main cable terminal to the power distribution box for tightness? It sounds more like a major power failure when more than one circuit is involved. You did mention 'whole board', what I'll assume is the instrument cluster. You might take note next time exactly what's dead so the dealership can narrow down the non-functioning circuits if you have to take it in.

Quick Reply: Need Help--Dead Throttle