2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP! Can't get car inspected

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/08, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NEED HELP! Can't get car inspected

I haven't searched entirely on this issue, so I am looking for assistance.
I took my car in for my yearly state inspection recently. When the inspection station hooked
their computer up to mine, they told me that they cannot inspect my car.
The reason they gave is that my car has not completed a trip. Their computer can talk to mine, but cannot gather information to complete the inspection.
They asked if the battery had been recently disconnected. I had told them no, but thinking about it, it may have been when I had some body work done recently on my car. To make sure that this station was feeding me a bunch of crap, I took it to another station and they said the samething. I took it to my dealership and they said the samething. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.....
Old 7/8/08, 06:51 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

yeah you need to drive it like 20 or 40 miles after disconnecting the battery, i heard that before

I specifically have heard about people having this issue after they flash the tune right before they bring the car in for inspection. The solution was to drive it and let the computer reset itself
Old 7/8/08, 07:12 AM

Yea, I was told that too. Unfortunately, I had put close to 500 miles on my car since getting my car out of the shop before taking it to get inspected and still get the same issue.
Old 7/8/08, 07:47 AM

hmm doesn't sound right. Who made your tune? He might have some better input and understanding of what is going on. He'll have some better suggestions than what you see here. This is a tune related problem I would say.

Is this the first time you had that inspection with that tune? The only other suggestion I would have is to just put your stock air box back on and put your stock tune back in. Your tuner might suggest otherwise. It sounds like your computer is stuck in some kind of loop since you flashed it?

Last edited by dustindu4; 7/8/08 at 07:49 AM.
Old 7/8/08, 08:07 AM

That was my thinking too. It is the first time I've gotten the car inspected since flashing the tune back in March. the dealership did tell me I had to incomplete codes showing up on my computer, so this maybe the issue too. One was dealing with the O2 sensor and the second was with the catalytic converter. I may just re-flash it back to stock and put the stock hardware back on tonight and see what happens later in the week when I try to get it inspected again. THANKS!

Last edited by kryptonite; 7/8/08 at 08:10 AM.
Old 7/8/08, 10:12 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you get these incomplete codes during an emissions check, it means the car hasn't finished some monitor test that it started when the computer was reset. Depending on how you're driving or what ambient conditions are, some tests just won't complete no matter how long or far you drive. If you're going to put it back to stock anyway, then go to the dealer after, tell them it failed inspection, and get them to get all the monitors executed and/or clear the incomplete codes and bypass them.
Old 7/8/08, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check with your tuner to see if the rear O2s are turned on. The PCM uses the rear O2s for the self check and if they're turned off the the "ready for test" will NEVER be set.
Old 7/8/08, 11:03 AM

Thanks for the info. I may do that before pulling the hardware and de-tuning my car.
Old 7/8/08, 11:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

I agree with Keystone, a few of your sensors are probably turned off in your aftermarket tune. That means they will never be "ready", no matter how much you drive. Either set it back to stock and drive around for 50 miles, or contact your tuner and have him turn send you a new tune with the sensors turned on...then drive around for 50 miles.
Old 7/15/08, 06:06 AM

Well, I thought I would update everyone on my situation. I pulled everything off the car and returned it back to stock tune. Dealership ran diags on the car and found a bad MAF caused the car to run real rich. So that got replaced.
Then the throttle response was off. Dealership couldn't find the issue, so they are replacing the PCM, under warranty.
Old 7/15/08, 01:33 PM

make sure you get the PCM strategy code from them so you can get your SCT updated to run on it. If you try putting your tune back in your car wont start