2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

national speed limit

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/05, 07:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just read where people are talkin about bringing back the 55 limit.
This would kill my fun for sure. Have a super ride and not be able to gas it. I would have to sell mine for sure as I would go bankrupt paying fines and have to resort to jail time like I did way back in the 50s when I refused to pay a fine for going too slow trying to reach the edge of the road after motor died with a bad fuel pump. I told the A-H cop this but he couldn't care less. Four week ends I was guest of San Diego County bastille. Super nice judge too. I am an avocat of if you do the crime expect to pay the fine but some things are beyond reason.55 mph speed limit is one of them. My GT will go up for sale the same day its enacted if it comes to that. Wonder what the fine would be for going almost triple the speed limit.

Weigh In on this Stand Bangers. What do you think? Sell yours?
Old 5/2/05, 07:51 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What's that have to do w/ Pres Bush?

Edit to add:
I don't think it'll happen. We'll see further govn't intervention into fuel conservation and new fuel sources first. People would rather have oil derricks off the Gulf Coast of Florida before they'd accept a 15mph decrease in the nationwide speed limit (it's 70mph in FL). Environmentalists might love it though.
Old 5/2/05, 07:51 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt it will happen unless there is a real gas shortage... right now the market is all speculation.
Old 5/2/05, 07:57 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That happened up here in the early 70's with the oil embargo and for safety reasons .The most I have seen up here in the west is 60 mpr/100kpr since then and a lot of roads still have 55mpr/90kpr on them .
Old 5/2/05, 08:00 PM
Bullitt Member

This will never come about do to the fact all the shipping companies and the US mail will hurt for it also. Packages will back-up. They have to buy more trucks which use more gas then before.
Old 5/2/05, 08:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I don't that'll ever happen. Worse case scenario, they crack down and give tickets for minor infractions of the existing speed limits. Just my .02
Old 5/2/05, 08:09 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
55 MPH limit doesn't seem to slow too many people down in PA.

Since the President had nothing to do with this, I removed it from the title.
Old 5/2/05, 08:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

1) What’s the source? Sounds like more politically motivated BS from a source such as Move On Org.
2) The President doesn't set the federally mandated speed limit.... Congress does.
3) One of the main issues of perceived shortages: more than 50 boutique gasoline’s required by various states.

These boutique gasoline’s re-set production requirements, multiple set-ups for the limited number of refineries, added charges, reduced production, etc..
Why???? IMO People who are really Preservationists and not Environmentalists got their egocentric politicians to meddle, generate more restrictions, laws and make a huge impact on the auto enthusiasts. If they had it their way there would be no V-8s, Muscle cars, pre-1970 auto or anything along those lines. …. O.K… I’m off the soap box
Old 5/2/05, 08:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

In Virginia, localities have the authority to increase the speed limit which some are doing. I know that on a road to Richmond from here (125 miles) you have 55/60/65 MPH limits. Of course, it can be a PIA since it can change like 3 times in 15 miles in one spot. IMO I am sure there are those who will be pushing a 55 National Limit along with 40 MPG CAFE Limits and wanting everyone to drive an electric golf cart.
Old 5/2/05, 08:49 PM
Cobra Member

Ain't gonna happen. I realize that most of you are too young to have been around in the early 70's when we had our first so called gas crisis, but the guv actually mandated a 50 mph speed limit at first before magnanimously raising it to 55. Can you imagine crawling across the Great Americn West at that speed, or anywhere else?

Maybe we should all get tax credits when we buy a bicycle.
Old 5/2/05, 08:56 PM
I lust for a M24

In FL the interstates are 70mph. I've been told by a statey that they normally don't pull anyone over 'just' for speeding unless they're doing 82mph. Now I just set my cruise at 80.
Old 5/2/05, 09:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Around here interstates are 70, highways are betweem 55 & 65....not that anyone pays any attention to them.

Personally I think that speed limits shoud be done away all together (except maybe keep them inside city limits)
Old 5/2/05, 09:09 PM
I lust for a M24

I say no speed limit in the left lane on 3 lane interstates. All other interstates slow traffic in the RIGHT lane or automatic license suspension for not yielding way. And automatic punishment by AR-15 for speeding in neighborhoods where kids are playing.
Old 5/2/05, 10:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

2) The President doesn't set the federally mandated speed limit.... Congress does.
No kidding. A Republician Congress & a Republician President = whatever the Pres wants he pretty much gets.

Sure the Pres can veto & Congress can override or Congress can pretty much refuse to pass it all together. Either way chances of that happening are slim to none.

Either way IMO the Republicians are all backwards. And the Democrats aren't that much better (this from someone whose WHOLE family are democrat). But that's another discussion for another day & another place.

Now ~ BOT ~ IF by some freak chance they do pass that. The day they do will be the day my mom, my grandpa (86), & myself go & buy mopads or something. Because I had rather spend money on those than on the fines we would ALL rack up.

The speed limit now is 70 on the interstate, 45-65 on HWY 70, 55 on HWY 104N, & 40-65 on HWY 412. All of which I travel frequently & ALL of which I rarely travel at (or below) the posted speed limit.

Again all of the politicial stuff is JMO. No harm meant.
~*~Kera~*~
Old 5/2/05, 10:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Mongoose@May 2, 2005, 8:51 PM
I just read where people are talkin about bringing back the 55 limit.
This would kill my fun for sure. Have a super ride and not be able to gas it. I would have to sell mine for sure as I would go bankrupt paying fines and have to resort to jail time like I did way back in the 50s when I refused to pay a fine for going too slow trying to reach the edge of the road after motor died with a bad fuel pump. I told the A-H cop this but he couldn't care less. Four week ends I was guest of San Diego County bastille. Super nice judge too. I am an avocat of if you do the crime expect to pay the fine but some things are beyond reason.55 mph speed limit is one of them. My GT will go up for sale the same day its enacted if it comes to that. Wonder what the fine would be for going almost triple the speed limit.

Weigh In on this Stand Bangers. What do you think? Sell yours?
Buddy, I'm glad you have a set speed limit above 55 (for now), in the state of PA it has ALWAYS been 55. I got pulled over at 107 and was nailed with a $265.00 ticket. I WAS stupid and shouldn't have gone that fast. there is no need to be driving super fast on highways with other people on it. Go that fast LEGALLY at a track, just not on the streets.

Matt
Old 5/2/05, 10:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@May 2, 2005, 7:54 PM
What's that have to do w/ Pres Bush?

Edit to add:
I don't think it'll happen. We'll see further govn't intervention into fuel conservation and new fuel sources first. People would rather have oil derricks off the Gulf Coast of Florida before they'd accept a 15mph decrease in the nationwide speed limit (it's 70mph in FL). Environmentalists might love it though.
I just reported what I read nothing more or less but when it says Pres might enact 55 mph limit who is the pres? I was not trying to make a political statement here. I read it on the WEB tonight. If I could remember where I would post it if that is allowed. Was it Carter not congress the did it back in the 70s or did he just take the heat for it?
Old 5/2/05, 10:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

It would be a hard sell to go back to 55mph national limit. It has been shown that it doesn't save gas and it increases the number of accidents per miles driven. Of course, if the goal is for Bush and his buddies to sell more gas, then perhaps we will see a lower limit. There have certainly been plenty of other dumb ideas pushed through. :notnice:

Personally, I think it's just hot air.
Old 5/2/05, 11:06 PM
Bullitt Member

The enviromentalists want to set the speed limit to 15 MPH so everyone on bikes and runners will pass those who drive their car and people will give up the automobile.

darn tree huggers!
Old 5/2/05, 11:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

who cares if they lower the speed limit? it won't slow me down, I think most people will keep driving the same speed they alway have driven....What are they going to do? give everybody on the road a speeding ticket?
Old 5/3/05, 01:17 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by mobster@May 2, 2005, 11:09 PM
who cares if they lower the speed limit? it won't slow me down, I think most people will keep driving the same speed they alway have driven....What are they going to do? give everybody on the road a speeding ticket?
Yep They did it before. TN and KY were making a killing on fines. Funny thing. The fuzz did not pay much attention to trucks and station wagons back then. So a truck with a few hay bales in the back and station wagons could go like a bat as long as you were not passing cars but two door hardtops got a close eyeball and if it was red they tailed you at a distance. If it was a Vett they radioed your position ahead. They even set up pay your fine on the spot and no ticket. Good ole boys for sure. Been there done that! They are still doing it today. I was doing 85 in a 70 on the interstate. State trooper tried to do a Make Your own case deal on me saying I was doing 95 in a 70. I said not a mile over 80. I paid for doing 80 on the spot.

Quick Reply: national speed limit