2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Worst Nighmare

Search this Thread

Old 4/13/05, 05:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, as some of you saw in my last post I put on some stripes on the car last Thursday.

So, Friday started out to be a great day. I left the my office around 3PM to go get my car washed. I then head to Knoxville, TN an hour away from where I live (Chattanooga, TN) to meet up with some friends and my father to celebrate his B-Day. I arrive at a bar, by the name of Michaels, start having some drinks and just enjoying myself. After a couple of drinks my father wanted to show his friend his new Mercedes so we walked out to his car. As we were outside a guy walks out that we short of know and gets in his truck (F-150)and starts pulling out. Needless to say we see him backing up towards my car and BAM on my passengers door. At this point I am left with my mouth open, not believing what just happened. To make a long story short the guy that hit my car was pretty drunk so I am feeling sorry for him and thinking about just exchanging insurance information. As the this situation proceeds he then states that his not sure that he did anything wrong and that no one saw him. At that point I called the police and they end up arresting him because he was drunk. I still felt sorry for him as he is in his late 50;s and talk the police into giving him just a PD rather than DUI. It was crazy, 8 police cruisers showed up. Half the people from the bar are outside or glued to the window. By the way...not one little scratch on his car. :bang:

Since Monday I was dealing back and forth with my insurance company and his as well. I found out through my insurance company that he was denying everything-I should have let him get a DUI. But it all worked out and my car is going in the shop Monday and the other insurance company of the guy that hit me is paying for everything including a rental. I wish it would be the new Mustang or any Mustang. They will have my car for 3-4 days. The good thing though is that they are replacing the entire door even though its repairable. Total cost is $1600.00

I was sick to my stomach but I hope the Ford dealership that I am taking the car to fixes it perfectly to where I cant even tell.

Has anyone had to paint their Satin Silver. If yes was the result what you hoped for? I have heard that silver is a hard color to match.

Any tips of anything I should tell the dealership thats doing the repairs? I have thought about telling them to be carefull and not scratch anything in the inside of the car as they are replacing the door.
Old 4/13/05, 05:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

One more pic.
Old 4/13/05, 05:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Picture from the day before the damage.
Old 4/13/05, 05:10 PM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ouch!! hope your stang gets fixed ok...
Old 4/13/05, 05:12 PM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

BTW, love the ponies behind the window... very cool
Old 4/13/05, 05:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

That really stinks! It's a good thing you happened to be outside to witness it, otherwise you'd be the one paying. They're only replacing the door? What about the damaged panel...how do they fix that? Sorry, don't know much about body shop stuff. Good luck!
Old 4/13/05, 05:16 PM
I lust for a M24

That really stinks man... nightmare indeed. I'd be sick to my stomach. Replacing that door's the best thing to do. Are the replacing the whole door shell or just the skin? As for a tip for the bodyshop, just making sure they're blending your fender and quarter. All that info should be on your estimate. Color match shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure your left an right stripes match up when you pick up the car.

Edit: Just relooked at your photo. Nevermind about blending the qtr, they'll take care of that when they repair that dent.
Old 4/13/05, 05:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Color matching is a bigger issue on silver cars that are over a year or so were the color has bleached out a little to it's final shade. it is also more noticible on the hood/trunk where the sun beats down. you won't have too much to worry about, dealers normally do a pretty good matching job.
Old 4/13/05, 05:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@April 13, 2005, 7:19 PM
That really stinks man... nightmare indeed. I'd be sick to my stomach. Replacing that door's the best thing to do. Are the replacing the whole door shell or just the skin? As for a tip for the bodyshop, just making sure they're blending your fender and quarter. All that info should be on your estimate. Color match shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure your left an right stripes match up when you pick up the car.

Edit: Just relooked at your photo. Nevermind about blending the qtr, they'll take care of that when they repair that dent.
Replacing the whole door. At 1st they talked about just the skin but there was a minor dent right behind the skin on the inside of the door so thats when they decided to replace the entire door. They have inculded new stripes but I will not let them put them on. I am thinking about maybe leaving the stripes off for about a month untill the paint dries extremely well.
Old 4/13/05, 05:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by outdoorstom@April 13, 2005, 7:16 PM
That really stinks! It's a good thing you happened to be outside to witness it, otherwise you'd be the one paying. They're only replacing the door? What about the damaged panel...how do they fix that? Sorry, don't know much about body shop stuff. Good luck!
They pull the metal out as much as possible and then cover up the rest with some kind of material. I obviously dont know much myself as you can tell.
Old 4/13/05, 05:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

David, I'm so sorry to hear about your car! Please give us updates and post pic's when you get it back
Old 4/13/05, 06:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
David, sorry to hear. I have the same color combo. My bumper was damaged
in transit and had to be replaced by the dealer. I stressed over the paint match issue but in the end I was worried for no reason. It matches absolutely perfect.

Good Luck!
Old 4/13/05, 06:17 PM
FR500 Member

dam hit and runners
Old 4/13/05, 06:19 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally posted by RaGsHoCkEy88@April 13, 2005, 7:20 PM
dam hit and runners
I don't know what's worse... a hit and runner or a drunk.

One thing's for sure, if he was denying it the next day, he sure is one heck of a loser!
Old 4/13/05, 06:20 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the worst is the guy tried to weasel his way out of it despite the fact you cut him a huge break.
Old 4/13/05, 06:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm really bummed for you - it rots to have your car hit. Isn't it ironic that you actually help this guy out, and he turns around and tries to stick it to you -- twice. I'm glad that you were out there and saw it, you ended up protecting what is yours. Sad to say, I think this other person will do it again, sounds like he does not care about much.
Old 4/13/05, 07:08 PM
GT Member

That's terrible man, sorry to hear that.
I think you were feeling way to sorry for him.
Glad to hear that his insurance is paying.

I was in the same situation a few weeks ago but
the lady that ran into me wasn't drunk and admitted
to everything. My car is fixed and good as new.

I hope your wait is short and the repairs are done right.
Old 4/13/05, 07:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by os121@April 13, 2005, 6:56 PM
I'm really bummed for you - it rots to have your car hit. Isn't it ironic that you actually help this guy out, and he turns around and tries to stick it to you -- twice. I'm glad that you were out there and saw it, you ended up protecting what is yours. Sad to say, I think this other person will do it again, sounds like he does not care about much.
Alas, only too true. He'll get a small fine, have to go to AA or something and end up hitting some other poor sod.

Ah, bring back the good ol' days where someone clearly in the wrong like this could be pistol-whipped to within an inch of his life, then, when the cops turned up, they'd give him another seeing-to!

Just pray he only dings cars and doesn't eventually take out a family of four.

:edit:

Kudos to you for keeping your cool. If it were me, the guy would've been in big trouble the moment he copped that attitude.
Old 4/13/05, 08:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

I would like to thank everyones concern and sympathy. I really appreciate it. Its nice to be able to get on here and get some support with people that I can relate to.

I guess the other thing that gets me is that he didnt even apologize for what he did but thats ok. I just hope that he doesnt hurt someone the next time. Its scary though because he is in his 50's and abviously has not learned a lesson yet. A cab dont cost but $15-25.00...go figure. I dont ever get behind the wheel after 2 drinks. Its not worth it. It will be a while until I see him again but it will be intersting what he will have to say if anything.
Old 4/13/05, 09:03 PM
Queen Of Nascar

Thank goodness you were outside to witness it. It would have been worse to just come out and find it. Hope you get it fixed good as new. Thats hurts to look at.

Quick Reply: My Worst Nighmare