Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Wife Thinks I'm Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 1/24/07, 08:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Wife Thinks I'm Nuts

I just came in from the garage. My Vert has been in the garage for winter storage since Nov. 1. I logged 1,500 miles from when I got it at the end of June until November. I drove it every sunny day, but I only live 2 miles from work.

I finally couldn't take it anymore, so I pulled the car cover off and sat in the drivers seat for about 15 minutes. I took in a deep breath through the nose and savored that new car smell that was still sealed up inside. It was 37 degrees in the garage and yet I sat in the car without a jacket. I didn't even feel the cold because in my mind, the top was down and it was 80 degrees out.

Remember the scene in Christmas Vacation where Chevy is dreaming about the lingerie-counter girl swimming in his new pool....when suddenly cousin Eddie appears in his dream in the swimming pool?? Here I am daydreaming about driving the car when suddenly, my wife appears in the doorway to the house in front of me and asks me what in God's name I'm doing and if I'm nuts. You got that right!!!

66 Days and counting until April 1st...the day this 45 year-old fool becomes 18 again. Who says there is no fountain of youth??....they must have never driven a Mustang.
Old 1/24/07, 08:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drive it and enjoy it if you can bring yourself to. Its a car. I used to be that way and now drive more often and am glad.
Old 1/24/07, 09:53 PM
GT Member

Its winter?!? I don't know that I would be able to leave my car sit in a garage like that. U got more will power than I.....

Heres hoping to warm sunshiny weather for ya in the near future.
Old 1/24/07, 10:01 PM
GT Member

Not so nuts ... I've had my new '07 for almost 3 weeks now, and it's still sitting in the garage with only 45 miles on the odometer!! I'm gonna rustproof it myself as much as I can before bringing her out into the merciless salted streets ...
Old 1/24/07, 10:37 PM
Number Cruncher

I drove around top down all day yesterday.
(It was wonderful.)
You're not nuts, you just live in the wrong place.
Seriously, if it makes you happy, sit in it, breathe it in, and dream about the days to come.
(I'll bet your wife does some "nuts" things too.)
Old 1/25/07, 12:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well as usual, shes right

But I understand...
Old 1/25/07, 01:13 AM
GT Member

Someone that I know actually slept in the garage with his car the first night he brought it home :-)

How's that for Nuts?
Old 1/25/07, 04:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by samckernan
Someone that I know actually slept in the garage with his car the first night he brought it home :-)

How's that for Nuts?
whoa...
Old 1/25/07, 05:56 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Good story. Favorite Christmas movie. Fortunately our weather here in Pittsburgh has been mild up until resently so I've had mine out a lot lately... But the forecast has got me worried as it appears that winter has finally hit
Old 1/25/07, 08:09 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by samckernan

How's that for Nuts?
That's not too crazy. If you got a real nice garage with heat or A/C, it's just like a part of your house. Of course you could sleep in the garage with an AR-15 under your matress in case someone tries to take your Stang away.
Old 1/25/07, 08:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
where are you located Steevr?
Old 1/25/07, 08:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Steevr, thanks for the funny story! Wishing you many warm sunny days and happy rides in your Mustang.
Old 1/25/07, 09:37 AM
Cobra Member

Yeah your a little crazy, but I understand it. My parents think I am nuts too (well my Dad tells me I am nuts and my Mom only thinks it ) with the way I care for what I buy. I loved my past Mustang, and it will be no different with my new one. You bought it enjoy it anyway you can!

Oh and a big ol' you, to this crappy North East weather.
Old 1/25/07, 10:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Leave it in the garage its, worth it if you have other transportatrion. I use my 197,000 mile 98 ford taurus all winter, you'll thank yourself 15-20 yrs from now when people are still jealous
Old 1/25/07, 02:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

everyone calls me nuts with mine. CONSTANTLY washing, waxing, polishing. atleast when it was warm out. now its hand wash places only until i can turn my outdoor pipes on again. when i got her home for the first time i must have opened the door tothe garage atleast 20 times that night just to sneak a peak ahahahah. my new neighbor doesnt even know my name, he just calls me hot rod.

i tell everyone, when u buy a $30k car on a garbage mans salary, u see how much YOU baby it!
Old 1/25/07, 03:01 PM
Cobra R Member

You could just drive it with the top up and the heat on, assuming that there is no salt/sand/snow/ice on the roads. Sure, you don't have the wind in your hair, but you also don't have the sun in your face
Old 1/25/07, 03:04 PM
Cobra R Member

No sense not driving the car just because its cold. But, there is sense in not driving the car when they salt the roads. That stuff will eat up your car.

BTW, I wash my car in any temp above 40 as needed. Thats what jackets are for.

I LET ABSOLUTELY NO ONE TOUCH MY CAR TO CLEAN IT EXCEPT ME. Not the dealer, not the local car wash, NO ONE!!!! Only I wash my car, so if it gets pretty dirty and it's at least 40 degrees outside, out comes the hose. Some may call it crazy. I call it DEDICATION.
Old 1/25/07, 03:17 PM
V6 Member

I just couldn't handle that at all. God bless the South.
Old 1/25/07, 03:24 PM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SE MI is totally covered in road salt right now. About 1 month ago, the roads were definitely driveable even for garaged Mustangs because the roads were all clean and dry. I would recommend waiting until April before driving the Stangs. I try to start up the engine once a weekend to make sure the trans and all rotating parts are moving around and getting lubed. I change the oil every 3 months even if it doesn't rack up mileage.

The only Stangs I see on the salt covered roads are the ones that get abused or eventually get traded in.
Old 1/25/07, 04:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
where are you located Steevr?
Chicago 'burbs.

I have my existing daily driver which includes free carwashes 6 days a week at my dealership down the street, so there's no sense in taking it out into the Chicago salt.

My plan when my two H.S. kids are in college is to move somewhere that's warm year-round. Chicago is absolutely beautiful in the summer, but it's the winters that I can't handle anymore. And this winter hasn't even been bad.

Quick Reply: My Wife Thinks I'm Nuts