Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Very First Accident

Search this Thread

Old 2/13/07, 06:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Very First Accident

It's been a while since I posted last, but I thought I should share...

Well, at least I made it to 23 without ever having an accident, but in all fairness, it wasn't my fault. I was driving to work this morning (in South Dakota) and on base, they never plow the roads. After a week of people driving to and from work, etc... there was huge sheet of ice at the stop sign at the end of my road... Needless to say- I rearended a girl stopped and cracked my front bumper. If anyone remembers who I am, you will remember just 5 short months ago, I bought my brand new 07 GT Redfire. Now, its a broken Redfire... I wasn't issued a ticket... since theres nothing i could really do- and the cops fell 3 times during the course of the accident report... so it was obviously very slick. My insurance shouldn't go up.... i have had USAA for 4 years, never had a wreck before, never had a speeding ticket before so, it shouldn't be an issue. Now the problem i face is, do i let them replace it OEM, or do i up the ante and go for a better looking aftermarket bumper.... if i go OEM should i buy from someone who has replaced their good bumper for a better bumper and is selling their old one, or just let them deal with it and pay what it costs. ARGGGG I'm really upset because that car is my baby- i get mad when my husband leans against the car, or hits his boots on the side getting in the vehicle.... so you can understand how heart broken i was when i hit her. The damage isn't bad at all...just looking at it- but it is painful. I even took the time and effort to buy the Licence Plate bracket that FASTRACK was selling on here.... now i'll have to buy another one cuz mine's all bent to crap now. Anyway- here are some pics of the carnage.
Old 2/13/07, 06:12 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like the GT C/S front bumper. Sorry about your accident. That sucks, you won't know the difference once it's fixed.
Old 2/13/07, 06:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Another possibility if it's *just* your bumper cover that is damaged is to buy a replacement GT takeoff front bumper cover from one of the new parts takeoff places. You could get one shipped to you and it would already be painted from the factory so once it was installed it would be nearly impossible to tell anything had happened to your car. That's probably the way I would go myself, and save the hassle of trying to match paint and finish and save some money. Here's a link, they have the GT front bumper cover for $199, already painted.
http://www.newtakeoff.com/index.asp?...S&Category=100
Old 2/13/07, 09:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry about your baby. Wow. Good thing that the airbag didn't discharge.
Old 2/13/07, 09:22 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by shwaco1967
Sorry about your baby. Wow. Good thing that the airbag didn't discharge.
No kidding. With that kind of damage, if the airbag would've popped I would think something was wrong with it.
Old 2/13/07, 09:25 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Sorry to hear that! I'm sure you'll get your baby fixed up and looking like new! Good luck!
Old 2/13/07, 09:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Old man winter is a pain in the ***. Sorry to hear that man. Soon she'll be fixed up good as new though right? I had my first accident a couple months ago in the Impala. Not an experience I care to repeat.
Old 2/13/07, 09:59 PM
Bullitt Member

well... had it been 80 degrees and sunny, i dont think the bumper would have cracked... maybe a little hairline cracks, but not explode like it did.... -22 degrees will do that to plastic..... i love driving my stang... but i'm so nervous now i dont know if i want to- everytime i look at my baby- it looks so sad like it's hurt- if my arms would reach... i'd give it a hug.... lol
Old 2/13/07, 11:09 PM
Cobra Member

Look on the bright side; it looks like only the bumper cover was damaged and they are really easy to replace... It sucks to get in an accident in your new car, though .
Old 2/14/07, 12:52 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh it hurts just to look at those. So sorry to see that.

I have no doubt that whether you mod your car during repairs or not, it will be good as new again.

I am inclined to believe that Mustangs and snow (especially conditions like the one you found yourself in) don't mix. Of course, I do understand that some people don't have any other alternative but to drive their cars year round.
Old 2/14/07, 05:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
any pics of the girl you hit?? It could have been worse for sure. I would also go with a take off piece.
Old 2/14/07, 06:34 AM
Bullitt Member

i will have pictures of her car next week. Since it was on base, the SP's took pictures for the accident report, and since the military is slow lol it takes 5 business days to process the "paperwork" riiiiiight- so i'll post them then when i get them. Her bumper looked worse than mine- she had alot more broken pieces.... i'm taking it on friday to get some estimates.... i just can't wait to get her fixed...
Old 2/14/07, 07:18 AM

07MustangSB, since you use USAA, and the car is less that two years old, you will get OEM parts. Two weeks ago, my wife backed into the front end of my 07 GT, so I'm dealing with this as well. I only wanted OEM parts, and USAA told me it was their policy since the car was less than two years old. Just make sure you go to one of the places that USAA guarantees, so if the work isn't up to par, they'll get it fixed right.
Old 2/14/07, 07:59 AM
V6 Member

Sorry about your car but yea it was your fault.
Old 2/14/07, 08:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Well, sorry to hear about the accident. At least nobody was injured, cars can be replaced or fixed. I am sure it will be back looking like new in no time.
Old 2/14/07, 09:19 AM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by tsaints1115
Salt, meet open wound.
Old 2/14/07, 10:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
It's painful to watch your Pony being hurt (speaks from recent experience). The good news is that the damage appears to be limited to the bumper cover, a part that is easily replaced!

When my Pony was crashed last month my first thought upon surveying the damage was "D**N, my bumper covers weren't trashed! Guess I won't be getting the GT/CS covers yet!"

Make lemonade out of this lemon and do an upgrade. (I did!!) KC from Clevenger Ford can get you the parts at a great price.
Old 2/14/07, 10:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tsaints1115
well what could i have done???? it was nothing but ice- i started slowing down before i even got TO the ice.... but once i was on the ice- it was out of my hands.... i wasn't issued a ticket- so it really doesn't matter.
Old 2/14/07, 10:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Aww don't sweat whose fault it is. Main thing is no one got hurt but the car and I'm positive she didn't feel a thing. Just focus on getting your ride fixed and SADDLE UP!
Old 2/14/07, 10:29 AM
Bullitt Member

i personally dont think it was anyones fault... it was just an accident- but its a slap in the face for someone to tell you it was your fault when it's not like i was being reckless or anything...

Quick Reply: My Very First Accident