2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

My soon-to-be wife did a 180 on me

Search this Thread

Old 5/1/06, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear you're having issues. I think you should try what I did. I found me a girlfriend that owns a Mustang and loves it, in fact her's is faster than mine. It's definitely the way to go.
Old 5/1/06, 10:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

women............................................. ......... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]
Old 5/1/06, 10:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm not sure what more I can add, but i'm sorry to see your situation.
There were a few really good points already, but only you can really look at the situation and see what the problem is.

She may just want a recommittment from you. If she's afraid you will spend all of you time/money on the car, she may be testing you to see which you care about more. if you show her that you do love her and are devoted to her, she may soften her stance. Ive seen quite a few guys lose their girls because they cared too much about their cars (not just a healthy car love, but a complete obsesion). she could be afraid of this.

is it possible she's now jealous because of your newly-obtained rank? (congrats by the way). maybe she feels less powerful at work so she's trying to exercise more power at home.

and lastly, i would be wary of someone who completely disregards a complete deal/agreement/promise on a whim. as others have said, this isnt a good sign for the future, but make sure to find out what the root of the issue is. good luck.
Old 5/1/06, 10:39 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is definitely a case of you being maniuplated. This "take it or leave it" mentality is definitely a shame considering that you held up your part of the bargain and got in great shape to pass your fitness test and get promotoed. You earned this car. What your fiancee is doing is being a child with a temper tantrum, she wants to get a dog just to spite you or something. Like you said though, given the the conditions she keeps those cats, she doesn't even deserve to have another animal to neglect.

In my mind, you did everything you set out to do as conditions to get your car. She shouldn't be able to get another pet without first being able to properly take care of the ones she has for a period of time.
Old 5/1/06, 10:59 AM
Bullitt Member

I've only been able to get through the first page, so forgive me if I'm behind the power curve.....

You're already fighting and not even married yet.....

Get out while you still can and not involve lawyers and the court system.
Old 5/1/06, 11:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Run as fast as you can! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 5/1/06, 11:33 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EleanorsMine @ April 30, 2006, 4:44 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
WTH??

Coming from a womans perspective-
That ain't cool!

Get the car- and She and the dog(and five cats) know where the door is.

JMO...........
[/b][/quote]

I agree, if she's going to throw in your face you wanting to buy a car (with your own hard earned money nonetheless) thats wrong.... a dog and a car are two totally different things..... part of me says get her the dang dog so she'll shut up...but then again if she's throwing a fit about a dog.... thats not right.>> I'm in the military myself and if my husband said i couldn't get my car if i didn't let him get a dog- i'd tell him i make the money so he can stick it! Really- you've worked hard to get to this point- with working on your fit test and making staff- kudos to you by the way- i test this week- its tough to pass that stuff- so you want to spend YOUR money in a way you both agreed months ago- and now she's changing her tune.... screw that! SO NOT COOL!
Old 5/1/06, 12:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Okay I had some thoughts, (married 5 years, animals cars, kids) but I have to agree knowing how old you are.

A. Take the advice dont get married before 25- stretch it to 28 if possible. (23-27 I was Mr A1 player... good times....) 28 - Married to a women with two kids and now one of "ours" on the way

B. If you decide you are still going to get married and having the money to afford the mustang order the car tell her you ordered the car. Period (this means no further discussion required on her part. Period)

C. The animals, since you both share the same living space and I assume you share in the costs in feeding the animals. Which currently have no shots you need to set some ground rules, like so many square feet per animal. If you live in a small place you might already be over the required space. Until such time that the space per animal is acceptable then no new pets. Period. Give away some of the cats, or they die off naturally or in the event you move to a much larger home/ living space then you can have an additional animal. BUT only if the other animals have the proper care, shots, check up to the vets etc. Period

D. You are the man of the house solider. If you bend now, then your marriage will always be under the condition of black mail. Women say a lot of crap just to get what they want. They will manipulate you any way they can. Trust us married guys, once your married though and have a lot more to lose we end up taking a lot of stuff but in the end we manage to figure out how and WHEN to get what we want. Optimizing the timing. You will not win every battle lets alone even more then a fraction of a percentage. But when push comes to shove if you are the one putting up with them, providing for them and giving them some sense of stability that they can blow up and you will not run away looking for your mommy then you will be okay.

E. Remember all women are crazy and us guys are even crazier for putting up with them. Just do what you know is right. Buy the car and set some ground rules on the animals. Dont just say no dog, but put in place some guidelines that will allow her to get the dog if its reasonable.
Old 5/1/06, 12:13 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adrenalin @ April 30, 2006, 9:04 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Dude, either you start to understand that you will never win arguments with her, especially after married, or start looking for a good psychiatrist. Sounds like the pet situation is a bit out of control and I agree with you 100%, now is not the time to be adding another pet to the equation. However, you do have to ask yourself a few questions..... Is getting a mustang worth losing your fiancee over. [color=#FFFF33]On the other hand, if you get married are you dreams of owning a mustang sqwashed for good. Be very careful about your choices here. If she doesn't want you to get one now and uses the "maybe after we are married" trap, consider yourself out of luck. Next thing you know, you show up with a stang, she files for divorce and takes it as part of the settlement anyway.
[/b][/quote]

ummm for the highlighted part .. do you REALLY need a answer? of course it is lol

im going to school for law ... lol marriage sucks ..well actually not marriage ..but divorce =p
Old 5/1/06, 01:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Buy the car now without anymore bargining. Your money, your decision, and you said it won't break the bank. If you don't you will regret it and evenually blame her. She sound like a bit of a control freak. May I be the first to congratulate you on getting married, just be careful that your not marrying the warden.
Old 5/1/06, 02:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MY05GT @ April 30, 2006, 9:19 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
You are not being unreasonable saying take care of what you got first. The scenarios are very different, you wanted the car, discussed it, set out a set of conditions and met them. She wants the dog, is unwilling to discuss any conditions therefor, no chance of coming to an agreement. She needs a reality check. Marriage is give and take. not take, take, take.
[/b][/quote]

Ditto for me. You busted your hiney to get where you are today - you earned that car. Quitting Smoking, exercising and eating right are one of the most difficult things humans can attempt to conquer, and you did it!

Besides, now that you're in better shape, have more money and soon to be a great car, maybe you have a opportunity to upgrade your girlfriend, too?
Old 5/1/06, 06:05 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

I agree with Dustin. Sound like marrage with this girl is going to be a disaster.

How do you feel about giving up at least half of everything you own (and more for many years if you end up with children)?

I've been married for a long time. My wife has never given me crap about things like you described before or after marrage. On the other hand I bailed on a couple GFs when we started getting serious and the crap you described started happening.

One more bit of advice, stop going to MacDonalds and any other similar fast food dump.
Old 5/1/06, 06:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Nick, I was in almost your exact situation about three years ago. I was in my early 20s and was totally ready to get married and start my life. I ignored early warning signs like this over and over again, got married because I loved her, had absolute faith in her, and thought she would change for the better over time. The exact opposite happened, and she ended up being someone other than the person I thought I married. Now, my Mustang is the only source of sanity and enjoyment in my life. Soon, I will most likely lose all that I have worked hard for - but hopefully not my stang.

One word of advice - even if you do decide to get married, get the Mustang before the marriage so it is not considered marital property. That way, there's no way she can take it from you if things should turn out for the worst. After you're married, she is entitled to it even if it's in your name only (well in IL at least). Best of luck, and remember to think with your head as much as you think with your heart. That was my biggest mistake.
Old 5/1/06, 07:06 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bryman @ May 1, 2006, 8:27 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
One word of advice - even if you do decide to get married, get the Mustang before the marriage so it is not considered marital property. That way, there's no way she can take it from you if things should turn out for the worst. After you're married, she is entitled to it even if it's in your name only (well in IL at least). Best of luck, and remember to think with your head as much as you think with your heart. That was my biggest mistake.
[/b][/quote]

The only reason I'm not ordering now is so it doesn't interfere with the wedding/honeymoon. I'll be driving 8 hours one way to get my car. Didn't want to put stress on Ed's dealership by having the car sit on the lot for a week or two while I'm getting hitched and honeymooning in Vegas should it be delivered during that time.

...but you DO bring up a good point. Our marrage liscense will be through Tennessee. Does anyone know the laws there concerning this type of thing? Would a pre-nup (sp?) be a good idea, if things don't shatter before then?

Once again, thanks for all the great advice.
Old 5/1/06, 07:13 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WarBird69 @ May 1, 2006, 10:14 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thanks for the advice everyone! Boards went down yesterday, was hoping to browse the forums more!

I've got 4 days alone comming up since she is going to her parents house, and I have to stay behind and work. I'm going to do some soul searching then. After she gets back...then we sit down for a long, hard conversation about this whole thing. And if nothing is resolved... I get to be homeless cuz I'm getting out of here. I hope that doesn't happen, because I don't want to move, I don't want to be alone, I don't want to hurt her or her family, and I don't want the HUGE akwardness at work. But if that is what it comes down to... then so be it.

Thanks again for all the advice. I'll definately post pics when the car arrives!
[/b][/quote]

Whatever you [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/censored.gif[/img] do, don't [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/censored.gif[/img] just stay with the girl just because it's [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/censored.gif[/img] convenient. I just gave the bad news to my girl of 8 years. I was afraid of being alone for a long time, but [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/censored.gif[/img] it! Forget her family, it's their fault they created such a [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/censored.gif[/img] crazy woman [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/panic.gif[/img] .

Getting new women isn't that hard, which I have quickly realized.
Old 5/1/06, 07:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WarBird69 @ May 1, 2006, 7:09 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
...but you DO bring up a good point. Our marrage liscense will be through Tennessee. Does anyone know the laws there concerning this type of thing? Would a pre-nup (sp?) be a good idea, if things don't shatter before then?

[/b][/quote]

At this point in time, bringing something like a pre-nuptial agreement into this scenario will shut down the communication further. I truly do hope that you have the opportunity to really talk and come to some understanding. It would seem you are going to go through with your vehicle purchase, so I presume that you really have not had a conversation with your fiancee yet.

While none of us really know the details of your situation, and there are many opinions suggesting what to do, I will guarantee you that going through a divorce is one of the most stressful life events in relationships where the people came together and did not deal with major incompatibilities. The financial implications alone still traumatize me to think about them.

Last, not to go too "spiritual" on you, but maybe some talk with "The Big Guy", depending on your beliefs, might be of help!

Good luck...
Old 5/1/06, 07:30 PM
FR500 Member

That 180 sucks. Since you decided to get the car anyway, work things out and be sure you wear the pants. If you marry her, don't forget to also wear the belt along with the pants so she can't take the things you enjoy away from you in the future. IMO, if she can't handle her cats, what makes her think she can handle a dog? I shudder to think what would happen if she made you "Mr. Mom" should you go that far? Probably best to cut her loose. I've never been married, but I feel the saying is true "Marry in haste, regret at leisure." after seeing what happened to two cousins who married early (19 and 20yrs, respectively). One also happens to be in the Air Force and his wife made him buy her a Lexus RX SUV - and now, she doesn't want it! Guess who's paying for it?
Old 5/1/06, 07:38 PM
Cobra Member

Hey man, tell your awkward girlfriend(because of the 5 cats) if she wants a dog, get a job and work for it!!! Yeah, women(girls, in my case, since I am 11 & 3 fourths years old [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img] ) always try to make everything fair.You can't let her control yourv life and money spending.If you want a stang',go for it.Or, work out a deal with your girlfriend.If she is stubborn and doesn't follow through, dump her.She might not be the right one for you.There is always more and better fish in the sea. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img] You just have to find them!!!

Hey man, tell your awkward girlfriend(because of the 5 cat) if she wants a dog, get a job and work for it!!! Yeah, women(girls, in my case, since I am 11 & 3 fourths years old [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img] ) always try to make everything fair.You can't let her control your life and money spending.If you want a stang',go for it.Or, work out a deal with your girlfriend.If she is stubborn and doesn't follow through, dump her.She might not be the right one for you.There is always more and better fish in the sea. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img] You just have to find them!!!
Old 5/1/06, 10:52 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WarBird69 @ May 1, 2006, 8:09 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The only reason I'm not ordering now is so it doesn't interfere with the wedding/honeymoon. I'll be driving 8 hours one way to get my car. Didn't want to put stress on Ed's dealership by having the car sit on the lot for a week or two while I'm getting hitched and honeymooning in Vegas should it be delivered during that time.

[/b][/quote]

Like someone else said, suggesting a prenup now may make matters much worse. I would just check on Tenessee law on property in a divorce. You could probably Google it and find out what you need to know. I remember when I was in your situation, divorce was the furthest thing from my mind. Now, less than 3 years later, it's all I think about.
Old 5/2/06, 07:11 PM
GT Member

Put everything on HOLD.
I've been married 27 years, got married at 21. This is my first mustang, wife could have cared less (just so you know my perspective). She never would have cared, as long as it did not impact us financially. heck, she has been great with juggling the cars in the driveway ( i kept my other vehicle)

Opposite of love is not hate......it is resentment. No matter what you do at this point, one of you is going to resent something from this recent display.

You both might be too young. If she is worth it (and let's face it her response makes most of us think she is not), go to marriage counseling (this being said from someone who has not done it).

You left out the most important part. WHAT DOES SHE LOOK LIKE! WHAT ACTRESS?

For the most part, a mustang does not really effect her life. All those animals, and especially a dog does effect yours. Plus, a dog is different than cats, and dogs need a different type of attention. This also might speak to her selfishness.

The attitude of "if you do that, I'm going to do this" is fatal to a relationship. It builds distrust, wherein you cannot really express what you want.

As the famous philosopher Chris Rock says, when you first start dating, you are not really dating the person, you are dating their representative (of who they want you to think they are). I think your fiancee just fired the representative!

The other thing to consider is, if the car is something you need or want. If you need " A Car", and she is treating her assent as permission or holding you hostage to her wiley ways - - GET OUT OF THERE. If it is something you want, take a breath, get the counseling and give yourself sometime.

Quick Reply: My soon-to-be wife did a 180 on me