2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

My gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/06, 07:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I know there were problems with gas tanks, mine never had that problem until now. I cant get passed $3.00 before it shuts off [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img] , it takes me about 10 minutes to get $15 it its soo bad. What should I do with it since its under warranty?
Old 2/6/06, 08:05 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Take two asprin, Take a number and go to this topic to stand in line for a solution:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=36995
Old 2/6/06, 08:47 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
As I understand it(feel free to correct me please) after April 2005, all cars got the 'tsb redesigned tank' when built, so if yours was built after that, a new tank might be same as what you have...try another gas station. Ive filled 5 times now, first two were a disaster gas all over the car...I found a BP about 10 miles from home that seemed to work, thats where I go now. if it just keeps shutting off, turn nozzle upside down(watch you dont scratch the car with the hose swivel) and fill it partway. Mines a pain, but I really dont want it replaced with another of the same parts by unknown guys working on it...if youre really wanting it fixed. take it in and if it acts up again, be a huge pain to the dealer, try to get a factory rep in to 'look' at the problem(surely they know about already) and see what they can do. maybe some tanks are just a little beter than others and a swap might help- but I doubt it. hopefully a form letter can be made up in here or somewhere and printed, signed, mailed to ford...I know fords in financial trouble right now like all the big three, but still- they gotta be aware of this problem, and surely a solution wouldnt break the bank on such a sucessful model run- I just hope they dont keep the status quo for the 2008 model...this needs looked at before someone catches fire.
Old 2/12/06, 05:27 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the same problem. Whenever I go to the gas station and it start's doing that poping noise over and over like the tanks is full, people look at me like I am crazy, it's pretty funny. It only act's up at cartain gas station's though, weird?
Old 2/14/06, 10:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Some hoses are tricky. I was at Chevron last week and it was clicking off, several times, so I took it back out and put it back in, got a good seal and a good angle and it was fine.
Old 2/14/06, 10:56 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sometimes just pulling the nozzle back an inch or two makes a big difference
Old 2/14/06, 11:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Do yall have the pump running full blast when your filling?

I have a GT built in 06 and the first time I filled I had it full blast and the tank filled about 3/4 of the way. The next few times I set the handel at 1/2 blast. I use the stop on the handel that holds the handel so you dont. It fills all the way and sometimes it spills but only enough to go out by the tire not the paint. I have also used it on the lowest click on the handel stop and no gas comes out. Does it go slower....yes, but its not like its an SUV tank....it still takes less time than my wifes armada at full clip to fill and I get no gas on my car.
Old 2/14/06, 11:50 AM

See Post #71