2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first time at the track... ever!

Search this Thread

Old 8/6/05, 12:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, I finally get the chance to go down to Pacific International Raceway tonight. Of course, I forgot my camera so no pictures of the event. I'll get some next time. Anyhoo, I've never done this before, and I'm making all the rookie mistakes. I line up with the slick tire folks and have to back out to the street tire lanes, I know what staging means but have never done it and run right through the lights, etc., etc., etc...

Anyway, I was able to get four runs in:
First run: 14.203 @ 97.86
Second run: 14.247 @ 98.05
Third Run: 14.05 @ 95.56
Fourth Run: 14.104 @ 98.28

Of course, the third run being my best, that's the run that the lady handing over the timeslips picks to screw up the order and give me someone elses! So, I only claim the one I can prove, the fourth run. It's posted on my CarDomain site, page 7.

I had a great time! Lots of cool guys there, lots of cool cars. Couldn't resist ribbing an Evo a little, even though he probably would have kicked my little **** all the way down the track.

Anyway, I promised everyone a kill story. I lined up for my fourth and last run next to a Dodge Neon SRT-4. He complimented my car, nice enough of him, but then immediately started telling me how much better his mileage was, better HP/liter ratio, cheaper purchase price, etc., etc. OK, whatever, you've got a pile of rice with a ram's head instead of a big "H". I believe he said it was the Stage 2 SRT-4, not positive but about 95% so. So. We line up, amber, amber, amber, punch! We take off neck and neck. Hey, I think, I'm keeping up with an SRT-4! Hey, he's slowly falling back! Hey, I can see him in the mirror! Hey, I won! Cool, I beat an SRT-4! I was actually pretty impressed with myself. Now, if it's not that impressive of a car to beat, allow me my good feeling for at least an hour or two, OK guys?

Now, my technique probably requires improvement. I have an automatic, so I would pull up, stage, hold the break, load the throttle to about 2000-2500, and when the third amber lit, let go the break and floor it. Very little wheel hop, very little wheel spin, and off down the track. Drag race experts, HOW CAN I IMPROVE?????

Thanks for all the help to get me to this point, everyone, whether you know you were helping or not. You guys are great, that's why I keep coming back.

Eric
Old 8/6/05, 01:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BigWorm2005GT@August 5, 2005, 11:58 PM
Now, my technique probably requires improvement. I have an automatic, so I would pull up, stage, hold the break, load the throttle to about 2000-2500, and when the third amber lit, let go the break and floor it. Very little wheel hop, very little wheel spin, and off down the track. Drag race experts, HOW CAN I IMPROVE?????
Tons of fun, isn't it!! What kind of RTs and 60' times were you getting?

Your starting line technique seems pretty correct to me for a stock automatic. That's pretty much how I do it too. Except for performance mods, the best thing you can do as a driver (with an auto trans), is practice being consistent on how deep you stage and when you leave. I know I cut my best lights when I stage shallow, and leave right on the third amber. But, each driver has to figure out what works best for them and their car.
Old 8/6/05, 01:10 AM
3rd Times A Charm

No I am pretty stock, except for Flowmasters. No intake or tuner. My best run was 14.095 at 103 mph. I have a hard time getting my launch down. I think with practice you and I could easily get into the 13s. And that is when I look forward to great improvements.

I also have a Dodge Neon SRT 4 story. My last run was at Sac Raceway on 7/20. It was about 9:00 pm and this was my 5th run of the day. Turns out he had the Stage 3 Turbo and Nitrous. He was running 12s. He should have been able to run faster with his Nitrous kit, but against me, he gat 13.2 and he was sand bagging at the end. I think he finished at about 92 mph. I ran a 14.4 at 99 mph.
Old 8/6/05, 01:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by don_w@August 6, 2005, 12:10 AM
Tons of fun, isn't it!! What kind of RTs and 60' times were you getting?
Don,

Fun doesn't cover it. I wish I'd figured out the benefits of owning a performance car years ago!

Reaction times: On the three of four timeslips I have, they are in order: .527, .570, .605. Sixty foot times, again in order: 2.263, 2.321, 2.213. Are those good or bad?

Thanks again!
Old 8/6/05, 09:15 AM
Big Falken Tires

Eric - congrats!!! Way to go!
Yeah my brother had raced for years but I was a first timer a few weeks ago - nervous as #@%@^#%@^

I lined up against my sister in law in her Redfire GT first run and DUH - deepstaged and didn't know it - her light went green and she took off, I am sitting there like a dork waiting and there is nothing happening until the red comes up....
:bang:

[my car has the JLT CAI, 93 octane tune, and 3.55 gears. oh and Flowmaster axlebacks..]

Next two runs I did a 13.7 at 100 and a 13.6 at 101.

I launched just like you - really could have brought the revs up higher but I was too busy concentrating on the light.... I think if you just practice your launch, drop the tire pressure in your rears a bit, (your OD and TC were OFF right?), you should be able to improve. Also take track temp into account - the day I went it was BLAZING - almost 100 in the air and the track temp was over 120... so I know I can do better on a cooler day......

You have the C+L right? A CAI and a tune will do wonders for you with the right tune .... and I think you'll agree the autos are just great for the strip - they hook and GO.
Old 8/6/05, 10:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Burke,

Thanks for the advice! Yes, I had my routine down while staging: "OK, TCS...off, O/D... off, A/C... off." Did that every run. I have the C&L intake, and it has been dyno tuned. I'm beginning to wonder if the tune isexactly dialled in right, because my max torque relative to my max horsepower is lower than many of the other '05's I hav seen here, by about 10 or so given my modifications.

It was kind of warm for the first two runs, and then we had a long wait while they cleaned up some oil a car dropped on the track. My engine had a good long time to cool down, and during the wait the sun went down so it cooled off considerably. I only picked up .1 to .15 sec on my time, though, so it didn't help much.

I need practice, that's very true, so I'll just have to get out there and do it again!

Thanks again!

Eric
Old 8/6/05, 03:14 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by BigWorm2005GT@August 6, 2005, 10:10 AM
Burke,

Thanks for the advice! Yes, I had my routine down while staging: "OK, TCS...off, O/D... off, A/C... off." Did that every run. I have the C&L intake, and it has been dyno tuned. I'm beginning to wonder if the tune isexactly dialled in right, because my max torque relative to my max horsepower is lower than many of the other '05's I hav seen here, by about 10 or so given my modifications.

It was kind of warm for the first two runs, and then we had a long wait while they cleaned up some oil a car dropped on the track. My engine had a good long time to cool down, and during the wait the sun went down so it cooled off considerably. I only picked up .1 to .15 sec on my time, though, so it didn't help much.

I need practice, that's very true, so I'll just have to get out there and do it again!

Thanks again!

Eric
your torques #'s do seem low? are u sure? can u post a copy of your dyno sheet? check out my mods and #'s.
Old 8/6/05, 03:16 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 05GT-BABY@August 6, 2005, 1:13 AM
No I am pretty stock, except for Flowmasters. No intake or tuner. My best run was 14.095 at 103 mph. I have a hard time getting my launch down. I think with practice you and I could easily get into the 13s. And that is when I look forward to great improvements.

I also have a Dodge Neon SRT 4 story. My last run was at Sac Raceway on 7/20. It was about 9:00 pm and this was my 5th run of the day. Turns out he had the Stage 3 Turbo and Nitrous. He was running 12s. He should have been able to run faster with his Nitrous kit, but against me, he gat 13.2 and he was sand bagging at the end. I think he finished at about 92 mph. I ran a 14.4 at 99 mph.
u say u ran 103mph stock w/ stock rear and no tune?
Old 8/6/05, 03:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

i'm surprized you beat a stage 2 srt4 since those run in the high 12's and you didn't brake into the 13's even, but either way practice, practive, practice, you have 1/2 sec to drop for a stock GT
Old 8/6/05, 04:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thats awesome. Glad you had fun. My first time was the other week. I had guys yeling at me and telling me to do two different things. I was so confused. but I had a blast. My best time was 13.58 @ 103.2. But my first run was a 14.48 @ 103.95.
Old 8/7/05, 11:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by BigWorm2005GT@August 6, 2005, 1:22 AM
Don,

Fun doesn't cover it. I wish I'd figured out the benefits of owning a performance car years ago!

Reaction times: On the three of four timeslips I have, they are in order: .527, .570, .605. Sixty foot times, again in order: 2.263, 2.321, 2.213. Are those good or bad?

Thanks again!
Very good R/Ts! A .500 is a perfect launch so you're not too far off. Look out John Force!
Old 8/20/05, 01:37 AM
Bullitt Member

While I normally hate to resurrect an old thread, this one isn't totally buried yet. We went back to the track, and this time it was the missus' turn. Yep, Mrs. Worm took Caroline down the track. Her first run (with me in the car!) was a 14.283@96.67. Not bad for carrying almost 200 lbs of dead weight.

She got in four more runs, culminating with breaking us into the 13's! Her last trip was 13.838@99.92. Sa-weet! I am incredibly proud of her. And of course, I had to try it, so I made two more runs myself, both of them at about 13.97@99. So, we have a 13 second car now. 12's are next. More money to turn into burnt gasoline...

Also, if you read up to my original post about the SRT-4 I beat. He was here again this time. First, I got confirmation, it's a Stage 1 SRT-4, not a Stage 2 as I originally thought. Also, he claims that in the race described last time he missed third. Okay, I'll buy that, but I still took the wire. His times tonight: still consistent mid-14's. Just relaying facts, you nice people be the judge...

Very, very exciting night at PIR! Just thought I'd share it.

Eric