2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first 24 hours...not good

Search this Thread

Old 7/14/05, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well after waiting over 4 months I was finally able to pick up my 05 GT yesterday. Everything seemed to be great and going well. I took it on a test drive before I signed all the paperwork and nothing seemed amiss till I got it back to the dealership.

I locked the car and pressed the remote lock button twice to honk the horn and the horn just blared like I had pushed the panic button. I tried all the buttons but it kept blaring. Finally put the key in and started the car and that shut it off. Shrugged it off as user error-- maybe I just hit the panic key by mistake.

I drove the car off not thinking anything of the earlier incident but noticed that when I was driving the horn chirped a couple of times with no input for me. Again just shrugged it off thinking I must be causing it.

This morning I get up and pull the car out on the driveway to take some pics and after I was done I decide to lock the car making very sure I am pressing the correct button. On the second press of the lock key the horn again blares full force and no amount of button pressing on the remote will shut it off. I unlock the car and open car door and the alarm goes off. Starting to get worried at this point.

Final straw-- On my way to work this morning doing 60 mph on the highway the horn just starts blaring with no input from me. Now I know there is definitely something wrong and its not me.

I am taking it in to the dealership tomorrow. They think that the factory alarm is set too sensitive or something along those lines. I used search and see other threads where that seems to be the analysis for this kind of problem or maybe a wiring problem causing it.

Anyone else have spontaneously honking mustangs while driving at 60 MPH??

Mustang owner about to cry...
Old 7/14/05, 03:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Have you tried reading the manual about the alarm settings at all? Don't get down.....it doesn't sound like a big problem, although I bet it's very annoying. I bet you got a bunch of weird looks with it going off while driving
Old 7/14/05, 03:12 PM
GT Member

Just take it to the dealership and get it fixed. Heck if it's not something serious, no point worrying over it. IT is annoying, no doubt, but nothing that cannot be fixed. As long as she's runnin fine.

Enjoy.
Old 7/14/05, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by mustangspeeder@July 14, 2005, 4:11 PM
Have you tried reading the manual about the alarm settings at all? Don't get down.....it doesn't sound like a big problem, although I bet it's very annoying. I bet you got a bunch of weird looks with it going off while driving

Yes I did get some crazy looks and I failed to mention it happened while I was sitting at stoplight and the light was red. Luckily as soon as the horn started going off the light changed and the person in front of me who probably thought I was being a jerk turned off on a different road. It only lasted about 15 seconds thank goodness.
Old 7/14/05, 03:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Definitely get that checked out...my buddy and I held down the horn in his Infinity for about half an hour straight while on the highway--it was SMOKING when we pulled over for gas. We were afraid the engine bay might go up in flames. So if your horn won't shut off, it could be a serious problem waiting to happen.
Old 7/14/05, 03:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Unhappy

:scratch:
Originally posted by 06GT@July 14, 2005, 4:28 PM
...my buddy and I held down the horn in his Infinity for about half an hour straight while on the highway--it was SMOKING when we pulled over for gas...
Old 7/14/05, 03:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 06GT@July 14, 2005, 3:28 PM
Definitely get that checked out...my buddy and I held down the horn in his Infinity for about half an hour straight while on the highway--it was SMOKING when we pulled over for gas. We were afraid the engine bay might go up in flames. So if your horn won't shut off, it could be a serious problem waiting to happen.
May I ask why??? That sounds like something fun to do next time I go to Florida. This year we left the right blinker on the whole way

You really need to get that checked out though. Just imagine if that happens while a cop is infront of you.
Old 7/14/05, 04:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

prolly a fualty relay or something simple.
Be glad that is your only problem.
Old 7/14/05, 04:28 PM
GT Member

If it keeps going off before you can get to the dealer either pull the fuse for the horns or disconnect the connectors at the horns. Then it will stop honking at least until you can get it to the dealer
Old 7/14/05, 04:33 PM
Cobra Member

Normally if you hit the lock button once the parking lights will flash. Hit it a 2nd time and the lights should flash again and the horn should give a quick honk. It sounds like you're getting the normal response, but the horn isn't shutting off for some reason. Probably a quick fix at the dealership. I have to admit I haven't heard this one before though!
Old 7/14/05, 04:34 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

it sounds like she doesnt like sitting still....60????...try 80....you got a wild pony that likes to run and needs to be broken.....good luck
Old 7/14/05, 04:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Reminds me of a Brady Bunch episode when the horn starts going off, wipers start going, convertible top starts going up and down in Gregs new car.

Never heard of this one either
Old 7/14/05, 04:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Stoenr@July 14, 2005, 6:41 PM
Reminds me of a Brady Bunch episode when the horn starts going off, wipers start going, convertible top starts going up and down in Gregs new car.

Never heard of this one either
That was a great episode.
One of the kids says that the rust is the only thing holding the car together.
Old 7/14/05, 04:56 PM
Bullitt Member

I wouldn't cry over this, its no big deal.

Disconnect the horn until you get it fixed.
Old 7/14/05, 05:39 PM

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions and kind words. I guess it really is not worth crying over since everything else on the car is fantastic. Gonna see about disconnecting the horn so it won't go off on my way to the dealer tomorrow.
Old 7/14/05, 06:26 PM
Cobra R Member

Sounds like a short in the horn IMO.
Old 7/14/05, 06:36 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by 38special@July 14, 2005, 5:29 PM
Sounds like a short in the horn IMO.
Could also be in the fob. Have you tried the other remote to see if the car responds the same? Might be worth a try.

Paul
Old 7/15/05, 09:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Holy Crap...Your mustang has Touretts Syndrome!

hahahahah
Jay
Old 7/15/05, 09:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

you could always just come drive it in Mississippi, trust me, you have to blow your horn at others drivers quite often, so it would work out fine! :P

But I wouldn't worry about it. As far as I know, no one else on here had that problem, so it may just be a fluke with the alarm. Just bring it in and see what they say.
Old 7/15/05, 10:45 PM

Update: The service department found an "extra or excess" piece of wire inside the horn assembly causing the problem. It was intermittantly making contact with one of three contacts inside the assembly causing the horn to go off.

Problem solved!!

Quick Reply: My first 24 hours...not good