2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

My Exciting Mustang Story

Old 10/13/04, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello All. I've been reading this forum for a few years now but I have never posted till now. This is my interesting story about my 2005 Mustang and the cover of the December 04 issue of Kiplinger Personal Finance Magazine.

It started as with many of you, seeing the concept car then ordering the car on the first day, getting a VIN, receiving a born on date and waiting for the delivery (which should be any day now). Somewhere in between that about a month or so ago I got a call from my Greenway Ford (Orlando, FL) dealer and they asked if I wanted to be interviewed by a national magazine about waiting for the new 2005 Mustang. I said that would be great. I got a call from a reporter from Kiplinger and did a phone interview and he said that the art team would contact me about photos. A week later the art team asked my if I wanted to come to D.C. and do a photo shoot with a 2005 Mustang for the COVER of the magazine. Wow, yes I do.

So Monday and Tuesday of this week I was in Washington D.C. on a ranch with a grey 2005 Mustang doing a photo shoot for the cover of the Kiplinger's annual car issue coming in late November. I got to drive the car but only on a grass road back to the house on the ranch and only about 10-15mph (but it was still cool). The Ford guys came by with the car for the shoot. The photo shoot was exciting and fun. I was pampered by wardrobe people, hair and makeup poeple, and everybody else on the shoot. At least for one full day I got to experience the life of a magazine cover model.

Now I'm just your average guy, not model quality at all, they just wanted a real Mustang customer for the issue and I was just lucky enough to be the one. I hope that I represented all Mustang owners with pride and diginity. I hope that all of you keep an eye out for the issue in November. I do not have any pictures of the event (I was the talent, I didn't have time to take pictures). I also have not read the article so I have no idea what it is going to say. I do know that the car and myself will be on the cover and at least one shot inside.

Thanks to all of you over the years for the information and knowledge. I have received lots of help with getting my new 2005 ordered and such from the posts on this site. I usually don't have a need to talk here because I have nothing intelligent to add to the posts, but I felt that this might interest at least some of you.

As a note my ordered Mustang is not grey, but redfire, other than the color and the wheels the car was the exact one that I ordered, 5 speed with ALL the options.
Old 10/13/04, 08:36 AM
Bullitt Member

That's quite a first post. Sure beats "What do you guys think about no IRS?". Congrats and I hope you get your stang soon.
Old 10/13/04, 08:37 AM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Awesome story! Keep us updated, and let us know when it hits newstands.
Old 10/13/04, 08:41 AM
Cobra Member

Scott I see your are local shoot me a pm.
Old 10/13/04, 09:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Great story! I subscribe to Kiplingers - so I have even more reasons to wait for that issue now!
Old 10/13/04, 09:57 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by MaloMan@October 13, 2004, 10:34 AM
............. I was in Washington D.C. on a ranch with a grey 2005 Mustang doing a photo shoot ...........
Great story! I would like to have done that too. But, where is there a 'ranch' in DC? You must have been in Maryland or Virginia.
Old 10/13/04, 10:06 AM

Two questions:

What were your're impressions on your admittedly short drive?

Where da heck is there a ranch in DC? :-)
Old 10/13/04, 10:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Great story... lucky dog!
Old 10/13/04, 10:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, I live here, in the D.C. area, and there are no ranches and grass roads in the city. You must have been in Virginia or Maryland...

Great post though
Old 10/13/04, 10:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Congrats! that is a once in a life experience. I will be sure to check it out.

ps. Did you mention Brad's site in the interview?
Old 10/13/04, 10:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by joeuser42@October 13, 2004, 9:39 AM
That's quite a first post. Sure beats "What do you guys think about no IRS?". Congrats and I hope you get your stang soon.
yea, very cool
Old 10/13/04, 11:48 AM

The ranch it was actually Mr. Kiplinger's ranch in, I think Montevideo, Maryland. It was about a 45 minute drive from downtown D.C.

As for the the car, (as short and slow as I got to go with it) I love the power it had, it was very easy to spin the tires in the grass, but I could just feel the power and it is very hard not to just gun it which is the instinct thing to do. The Ford guys made the Kiplinger people sign some papers about the car for scratches and damage so everyone was on edge with being careful. Inside the car felt very comfortable, I felt like the interior was really made to fit me. And I'm 6'2" 210lbs. so anyone that was worried about room, don't worry there's plenty.

The biggest thing about driving it was that I really can't wait for mine to come in now so I can really DRIVE it. I'll try to keep everyone updated on the magazine and when it will be out.

I just talked to my dealer here in Orlando and she said we're just waiting on the truck with the cars. I'm hoping that it's soon.
Old 10/13/04, 11:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
You are one of the luckiest Mustang fans on the planet - you know that, don't you? You can probably include a copy of the mag when you sell your Mustang one day in the far-flung future and get a premium for it from a fan.

I am hatefully jealous of you (not really).
Old 10/13/04, 11:53 AM
Bullitt Member

You lucky sonuvafemale dog! I hope someone posts pictures when the magazine comes out!
Old 10/13/04, 12:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Amazing story! I'll certainly be looking for my subscription copy in the mail. What interior did the Mustang have? I presume the exterior was Mineral Gray???
Old 10/13/04, 01:25 PM

I will post pictures as soon as I get some, from the magazine or otherwise if I get some of the actual prints. As for being lucky, I'm still in amazement that I was actually the lucky one here. How did everything fall into line for me to represent the Mustang nation on the cover of a national magazine. Very Lucky!

The car was mineral grey GT and had the interior upgrade with the red leather, it had the Shaker1000, side airbags, and the works. This was pretty much a fully loaded version of the GT except the wheels were the standard GT wheels. Other than that it was decked out.

As for the article, again I'm not really sure what will show up in there. It was an over the phone interview and only lasted about 10-15 minutes. I did mention this website and lots of other things, but for anyone who has ever been quoted in a publication knows, they find everyway to twist your words. So it is anyone's guess as to what may quoted and in what context.

Also I hope that I get the actual pictures as a couple of the poses were for fun. The photographer had me fake shooting a gun over the top of the car with the driver door open much like in many cop shows (Starsky and Hutch anyone?). Those would be great posts. I'll try and get those up in the coming weeks if I can get them from the magazine people. I don't believe those will show up in the magazine. I think the photographer was just trying to loosen me up for the other shots.
Old 10/13/04, 01:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Malo, quite an impressive entry there. Congratulations to you.

Out of interest, what was your impression of the mineral gray? As I've only seen "studio" photos of it so far, it's hard to tell how it makes out in real life. Much like the Windveil Blue wich obviously looks a LOT better in reality.
Old 10/13/04, 02:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

WOW, what a story, gald for you though.
Old 10/13/04, 02:26 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Awesome! I sort of know how you feel. I just had Ford of Canada bring a car for me to drive. Who would have imagined that. Mind you, its nowhere near magazine cover. You have me beat! Can't wait to see the article.
Old 10/13/04, 03:12 PM
GT Member

that's the best post i've seen on here in a while, thanks, great story.

please keep do post those pictures if you can and scan the cover when it comes out too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Exciting Mustang Story