2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My drive @ L.A. Innovation (pics & vids)

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/04, 06:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just went to the L.A. Innovation event today. I had a great time. I've got pics and quite a few vids between 1 & 5 MB. I'll need someone to host the vids for me, please. I probably won't be able to get to them until tomorrow. Sorry.

Here is my impression of the '05. Keep in mind I currently drive and '02 GT, so I was able to see the differences between the current and new stang. Let me start off by saying IMO, the only this these two cars share is the name Mustang. I drove the '05 GT with a manual transmission.

I'll start with acceleration. The '05 is definitely quicker off the line than my '02. I recently drove a GTO, and thought the acceleration of the '05 GT was similar to it. It wasn't quite knock you back in your seat fast, but it had a very smooth acceleration, while at the same time feeling like a muscle car. I know that I'll be happy with it. I only got to take it to 2nd gear, so it was tough to really gauge it.

The exhaust note was great; definitely louder in the manual (probably because you can control your shift points). It was very throaty and sounded like a race car, especially as the sound echoed off the walls at the track. While some of you will want to go aftermarket, it was louder than the current GT, and is fine for my tastes.

Handling. It was only about a 30 second run, but it felt planted and had minimal body roll compared to my '02 GT. It felt like a modern, refined car in this aspect, especially compared to the archaic current edition.

The interior was great. I felt like I was in the car, instead of on the car like in my '02. The seats are like captain's chairs compared to mine, with useable headrests. The shifter is in a perfect location, with definite shorter throws than my truck-like gear shift. The clutch is also lighter. I drove the black manual with the parchment interior and IUP. I like tan interiors to begin with, but thought the parchment with IUP look great. I'm glad I ordered my '05 redfire GT with parchment and IUP. I must say that there is a lot of hard plastic in the interior, maybe more than the current car, but the styling elements, seats, gauges, etc. make up for it.

This was the first time I had seen a V6 in person. The redfire V6 with the white stripe was very nice. It was also fairly throaty for a V6. I was very impressed with it.

A lot of this information might be redundant from what others have said, but I just wrote down all that I could think of.
Old 9/2/04, 06:12 PM
Cobra Member

Cool

I loooooove the sound of it
Old 9/2/04, 06:17 PM
GT Member

nice
Old 9/2/04, 06:29 PM

Haha, maybe I saw you there. I was there from like 11 AM to 1 PM.
Old 9/2/04, 06:31 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
another lucky one

we need an innovation drive in Canada :bang:
Old 9/2/04, 07:13 PM
Bullitt Member

i got there at 4pm and drove the yellow gt manual and since it wasn't crowded the girl let me drive the black gt auto (since i plan on buying an auto). impressed is the word to describe all variations. the manual was fastest, but i'll be happy with the auto as it was quick off the line also, even the v6 which i didn't drive sounded nice.
Old 9/2/04, 07:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

you have a PM, CA Stang... can host your vids
Old 9/2/04, 09:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by CA Stang@September 2, 2004, 6:11 PM
I must say that there is a lot of hard plastic in the interior, maybe more than the current car, but the styling elements, seats, gauges, etc. make up for it.
Grrrrrr...again with this "hard" plastic thing. :angry:
Old 9/2/04, 09:40 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Wombert@September 2, 2004, 9:25 PM
you have a PM, CA Stang... can host your vids
Wombert steps up to the plate again. Unbelieveable. :worship:
Old 9/2/04, 11:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Robert+September 2, 2004, 9:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robert @ September 2, 2004, 9:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-CA Stang@September 2, 2004, 6:11 PM
I must say that there is a lot of hard plastic in the interior, maybe more than the current car, but the styling elements, seats, gauges, etc. make up for it.
Grrrrrr...again with this "hard" plastic thing. :angry: [/b][/quote]
Robert, a lot of your posts have to do with interior quality. Yes i it has plastic in it, but yes it is less than 30K

Go buy yourself a BMW, seriously. this is not a slam, but a LOT of your posts are how bad the interior is or voicing concerns of it.
Old 9/3/04, 12:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Badandy+September 2, 2004, 11:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Badandy @ September 2, 2004, 11:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Robert@September 2, 2004, 9:40 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-CA Stang
@September 2, 2004, 6:11 PM

Grrrrrr...again with this "hard" plastic thing. :angry:
Robert, a lot of your posts have to do with interior quality. Yes i it has plastic in it, but yes it is less than 30K

Go buy yourself a BMW, seriously. this is not a slam, but a LOT of your posts are how bad the interior is or voicing concerns of it. [/b][/quote]
And your point would be...? :scratch:

I'm not a BMW fan, overall. And also, overall, I DO like the new Mustang. But I'm pissed that the car is perhaps only 8/10ths what it could be, when it should be 10/10ths. Plenty of under 30K cars use better plastic quality than the Mustang. There's no, I repeat, NO excuse for it in this day and age. I've covered that in detail in another post:

Most vehicles today offer these additional amenities, or make them available. Every time I point out that you can get them on a Mazda 3 but not America's premiere ponycar, the "thou shalt not have 'niceties' in a Mustang" pundits fall silent. I mean, Ford doesn't even offer a sunroof option!! I can't think of too many cars that DON'T come with a sunroof anymore. It's almost unconscionable.

Ford's corerequisite Mustang buyers may not care, but you don't increase market share by only appealing to enthusiasts, you build it by expanding your market base. Don't expand your market base and you stagnate. Stagnate long enough and you die. The fact Ford kept the same Mustang platform for 25 bloody years is proof of this.

Businesses are like sharks - if you don't keep moving forward, you sink.

Maybe this explains why Ford has been losing money.
Old 9/3/04, 12:48 AM
Banned

Robert you want a high quality car that will keep you from complaining non stop on this site? then buy a gt-40....go ahead spend the cash...i would give it to ya if i had it just so i dont have to hear this incessant babbling from you about how this car doesnt have a porshe interior for the price of a focus.

For the last time...did you read the interview? they opted for the 3v v-8 opposed to a 'higher quality plastic'. They need to save money somewhere...jesus the whole car rides on coil-over mcphearsons! it rides like a friggin' lincoln.

God your worse than my x-girlfriend about this car
Old 9/3/04, 01:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

For the last time...did you read the interview? they opted for the 3v v-8 opposed to a 'higher quality plastic'.
Funny, I don't remember that quote where they opted for a V8 instead of plastic that meets current "industry standards."

Since when did the two become mutually exclusive?

Maybe I'll just wait til I see the car in the flesh - maybe the plastic isn't that bad after all.

Old 9/3/04, 01:42 AM
Cobra R Member

Man you guys are lucky...im another one out here on west coast of canada,who would eat bugs just to get a glance at one in person!

Robert maybe you should get a non black interior color? I kinda thing this color interior looks nice as it helps break up the all black dash look.

Note to FORD...you still have time to change your mind about not having a 2005 for us to see at 22 annual GVMA event at spanish banks vancouver on sept 14...gotta think it really might help sales in western canada and washington usa!!!

http://www.gvma.org/