2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

My baby is wrecked !

Search this Thread

Old 2/19/06, 09:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My baby is wrecked !
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crying.gif[/img]

I took my 05 GT to the car wash and after I was done, I was driving back home.

Suddenly a car cur lurched out of a parking lot entrance/exit to my right and cut across 2 lanes in order to make a left.

Well, the offending driver cleared the rightmost lane (I was in the left lane - 4 lane road) but didn't miss me. I had almost no time to react and I slammed on my brakes. Too late, I T-boned the POS car. It didn't help that the other driver slammed on the brakes and stopped in the middle of the road. There was no way of avoiding it.

The driver of the other car was a female (late teens or early 20s) driving a P.O.S. 2001 Dodge Neon SE.

Of all the cars she had to cream, why didn't she cream another P.O.S. car like hers [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img]

I checked the retail value of her P.O.S. car and it's about $6000-$7000.

05GTs still sell for $25K no problems.

So, my car was severly messed up in the front, hood, side fenders and doors. The driver side door would barely open. The air bags deployed and hit my hand - that hurt !!

Other than that, nobody was hurt. Both our cars were towed away.

We exchanged info and I took photos with a disposable camera I keep in my car for such an occasion.

Well, I'm home now and trying to understand why it had to happen to me. What did I do in another life to deserve this ?? Was I some dictator like Kim Jung-Il or Saddam Hussein in a previous life? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crying.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

So, tommorow, I'll have to hunt for a rental car and hopefully the offending driver's insurance will pay for it. I'm sure I won't have my car back anytime soon. I'm sure it'll take a month or more. A month of car rental costs about $700. My insurance does not cover rental cars - it's an option but I didn't have it.

The sad thing is that "Sally" will never be the same again. I dont think it's tottalled but it's resale value will be reduced and there will always be issues afterwards - it's never quite the same again.

My car insurance comapny said I can choose who fixes my car. They gave me a recommendation but I have no clue about it's reputation. How do I go about choosing a place to fix my car and should I trust the insurance's recommendation? How about the local Ford dealer? I guess they'll just send it to another body shop.
Old 2/19/06, 09:41 PM
Cobra Member

Sorry to hear about that. Where do you live? Maybe some folks on here can recommend you to a good body shop. Hope everything gets sorted out soon.
Old 2/19/06, 09:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Im so sorry to hear about your bad luck, and glad you or the offending driver weren't hurt. Hopefully the repairs will be quick and you and your car will be back on the road soon.
Old 2/19/06, 09:45 PM
GT Member

Sorry to hear about that. I can only imagine how it feels. Glad to hear no one was seriously hurt.
Good body shops are hard to find, luckily the Ford dealer by my house has an excellent body shop, so I never have to worry about finding one for my car. Get a couple of estimates and talk to friends to see if they have any reccomendations.
Old 2/19/06, 09:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry to hear about your accident, I hope it all works out.
Old 2/19/06, 09:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry about your car, glad you're OK. Hope you find a great bodyshop,some do exist.
Old 2/19/06, 09:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

At least the engine still worked after the crash.

I saw steam or something come out near the engine.

My wheels looks sort of bent but I wasn't real sure.

Frame is almost cetainly bent and will need to go on a rack and unbent.

I live in Marina Del Rey, CA.

Anyone know any good shops around here.
There may be more than cosmetic body damage.

I'll post pics tommorow.

I think she did more damage to my car than her car is worth.
Old 2/19/06, 10:01 PM

Sorry about your accident, it really stinks. You keep saying your insurance, did she have insurance, did the police place the fault on you or her, it sounds like her fault.

Where do you live, do you know about diminished value? Since your car will never be worth the same again, you should get paid. I don’t know if all states have diminished value laws, I live in AZ and we do.

Good luck and be happy no one was hurt. I hope all goes well for you.

Rob
Old 2/19/06, 10:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

10 bucks that the other driver is uninsured or has attempted to place blame on LordBritish with the authorities/her ins. co by now.

Sorry to hear about this.
Old 2/19/06, 10:15 PM
V6 Member

this is a major problem w/4 lane roads. the outside line is in a blind spot.

even worse when an inside lane drivers is nice and lets the offender clear their lane only to get boned by the outside lane.
Old 2/19/06, 10:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

She did have insurance.

The police did not come because in California one of the following requirements have to be met in order for the police to be dispatched:

* There was an inury
* There was property damage (not including the cars itself)

Neither one of us were injured and there was no other property damage. So the police didn't come.

The other driver was definitly at fault - no doubts about that.
Old 2/19/06, 10:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LordBritish @ February 19, 2006, 11:18 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
She did have insurance.

[/b][/quote]

woohoo!
Old 2/19/06, 10:30 PM

Wow, in CA the police don’t come unless someone is hurt, or there is property damage?? In the town I live in (Sierra Vista AZ) a small traffic accident gets at least two cop cars, an Ambulance, and a 40 foot Fire Truck.

I guess your officials are a lot busier than ours are. Again I am sorry you got hit. I would check on the diminished value, it may be couple grand or more in your pocket depending on how bad your baby was hurt.
Old 2/19/06, 10:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

One other thing.

I had just washed the cars and made sure to clean the wheels real good. That meant the rotors were wet which meant the car wouldn't stop at well.

Real bad timing [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

However, the fault clearly lies with her.
Old 2/20/06, 05:51 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just remember, a car can be replaced, but be thankful no one was seriously hurt.
Old 2/20/06, 06:06 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LordBritish @ February 20, 2006, 12:44 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
One other thing.

I had just washed the cars and made sure to clean the wheels real good. That meant the rotors were wet which meant the car wouldn't stop at well.

Real bad timing [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

However, the fault clearly lies with her.
[/b][/quote]Any water on the rotors dissipates quick. Would not have been an issue.

Didn't see a reply to the statement about diminished value. To repeat that - the insurance company has to pay you for the value your car has lost as resale due to the accident, not just what it takes to get it repaired. If your state has that law.
Old 2/20/06, 06:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Really sorry to hear about your bad luck....glad nobody was injured. I'd be careful about going to a body shop the insurance company recommends, they're trying to save money by cutting as many corners as they can get away with. Check with friends and coworkers for recommendations. Good luck! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/20/06, 06:56 AM
Cobra Member

That sux..... Glad your alright though! Time for some aftermarket parts, even if you have to pay the difference on what the insurance will cover it will be worth it. Seeing she caused the accident her insurance should cover your rental car. Sorry for your pain.......
Old 2/20/06, 07:10 AM
GT Member

Man, I'm really sorry to hear that. We all face countless idiot drivers on a daily basis... sometimes the probabilities catch up with us. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crying.gif[/img] I think all the guys here can relate with the analogy that this feels like seeing another guy get kicked in the nads. Still hurts. Man down, Man Down!

Seriously, I hope they can repair it as close to new as possible for ya. I'd pick my own body shop... like was said, their interest is saving money. Do some research.

I had a girl blatently run a red light turning left in front of me two weeks ago... thankfully I've learned to hesitate before launching on the green. Woulda been ugly. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img]
Old 2/20/06, 07:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Glad you're not hurt, but that really does stink.

My two cents - if it was my car, and it's not totalled, I would get it fixed and trade it in on another GT. You're right that the car will never be the same again - even if the body shop does an excellent job, you will still know. But, the trade-in value will be the same whether it's been in an accident or not.

Quick Reply: My baby is wrecked !