2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

My '06 peformed flawlessly on its first road trip

Search this Thread

Old 5/17/06, 01:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up My '06 peformed flawlessly on its first road trip

I took my '06 on its first semi long road trip last weekend(about 400 miles round trip). I took my wife & kids to Seattle for Mother's Day weekend. It performed flawlessly!

This new Mustang is a great car. My wife absolutely loves it now. She said it was much more comfortable than my old '98, which was lowered with Eibach pro-kit springs. I found the ride perfect -- it really takes bumps well, but is firm and sporty at the same time. I was thinking of lowering it but I think I will keep it at stock ride height for now. It handles the curves really well too.

With me, my wife, and my two kids in the back seat and a trunk full of our luggage, my '06 got it's highest MPG ever -- 23.5 MPG while averaging between 75-85 mph on I-5. A couple of times some imports ( I remember a Mitsu Lancer, though I don't think it was an EVO, and various Hondas) would try to "run" with me on the highway, but a quick downshift and some accelerator pedal action would leave them as specks in the rearview mirror. Not that I condone that sort of behavior ....

Seattle's hills are nearly as steep as San Francisco's, and the '06 has great torque so it handled them with ease. It was great fun and sometimes scary blasting up a steep hill then going down the other side...

My car now has about 2400 miles on it, and now it seems to feel more "broken in" after the trip... I got the feeling before that engine and trans were a little "stiff" from being so new but now it feels more "comfortable"....

People don't often post positive things about their cars, and seem to dwell on the negative, so I just thought I'd share some positive thoughts....
Old 5/17/06, 03:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Bought mine long distance and drove it home 350mi. and it performed flawlessly. I av'd 24 mpg @ 65-70 mph. Very comfortable and I'm not a small guy. Love this car!!
Old 5/17/06, 07:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Watch out for unmarked Washington State Troopers in Chevy Implala's.

Glad you had a great trip.

Greg
Old 5/17/06, 08:55 PM
Cobra Member

The Mustang is simply an excellent vehicle in its Class and a world above the previous models. Anyone saying less is just plain jealous. I like it more than the two Mark VIII's we had and the LS. My biggest disappointment is that we choose to keep our present one as a cruise and show car, Garage Queen. This car begs for the open road. I'm considering buying another one day to just drive and with even more options coming that may just be enough to reel us in.
Old 5/17/06, 09:32 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree, this is a great car for road trips. We took ours from central AR to southwestern NY, and from there to OK City (2900 miles in 7 days in all). That was in the first month we owned it! I love driving this car!
Old 5/18/06, 05:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts
We're leaving today for what will be about a 1300 mile round trip. Watch the Skip Barber thread for updates after the weekend!
Old 5/19/06, 09:17 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GregS2005GT
Watch out for unmarked Washington State Troopers in Chevy Implala's.

Glad you had a great trip.

Greg
Thanks for the tip... I guess I'll keep an eye out for unmarked Impalas next time we drive up to Seattle...

I saw a Washington State Trooper in a Crown Vic that was about a half a mile ahead pull over and turn on his flashing lights... there was a see of red brakelights and the traffic slowed down very quickly...
Old 5/19/06, 09:38 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice - glad you had a great trip!
I am looking forward to my first real long roadtrip in the stang to Birmingham come Sept...

[so the 'lack of carpet' down by the pedals didn't impact your trip negatively?..... Sorry... couldn't resist...... with all the ranting by Capt Negative in the other thread which I just find ....]
Old 5/19/06, 10:11 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the drone in mine(FRPP axle backs) will prevent me from any long trips
Old 5/20/06, 04:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
I took my wife & kids to Seattle for Mother's Day weekend. It performed flawlessly!.
How'd your kids find the room in the back seat to be compared with your '98? I've got an '02 now and it looks like there's more rear seat legroom in my present car than in the new ones. (I even actually had two booster seats in my old old 1992 Mustang GT!)
Old 5/20/06, 07:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks for the great, positive post! Yes, these cars are SO much fun to drive. I bought mine with the intentions of it being a garage queen, but if the weather is nice I can't help but drive it to work every day.
Old 5/20/06, 09:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Awesome, and yeah I gotta say I've heard nothing but compliments about the seats. Last week, a couple friends of mine took a long drive to a concert, and the girl that was sitting in the back seat kept saying how surprisingly comfortable the back seats were. She fell asleep twice back there, and complimented also on how smooth the car rides.

I fall more in love with this car as each day passes. Cant wait to take my first road trip to Orlando this summer for Disney World.
Old 5/21/06, 01:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Bob99b5
How'd your kids find the room in the back seat to be compared with your '98? I've got an '02 now and it looks like there's more rear seat legroom in my present car than in the new ones. (I even actually had two booster seats in my old old 1992 Mustang GT!)
My son is 8 and my daughter is 5 and don't have any leg room problems in the '06. They seem to find it more comforatable; they like the "bucket" shape of the rear seat of the '06 better than the flat seat of the '98. They fall asleep in the back seat of the '06 on long rides and don't want to get out...
Old 5/21/06, 01:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Burke0011
Nice - glad you had a great trip!
I am looking forward to my first real long roadtrip in the stang to Birmingham come Sept...

[so the 'lack of carpet' down by the pedals didn't impact your trip negatively?..... Sorry... couldn't resist...... with all the ranting by Capt Negative in the other thread which I just find ....]
It was hard but I tried not to think about the '06's "hidden shame"....

And words cannot describe the saddness I felt when owner's of imports would pull up next to me and squeeze their "soft touch" dashboards.... It was almost too much to take!
Old 5/21/06, 02:42 PM
Bullitt Member

I have to agree with all of you, there are many great cars out there, but not many make good daily drivers nad even fewer are enjoyable on a trip.

I drove the 350Z a few times before I got my Mustang and I was sooo disapointed with how they messed up the interior of the car. The seats wont fold back at all because the speakers and such are right behind them. I talked to a guy that tried to take his girl on a trip in one and of course the girl was miserable, who wouldnt be when you want to tilt the seats back and sleep but you cant.

My Mustang is perfect for trips, My wife can tilt the seat way back and sleep, you have a back seat to put all your maps and cold drinks out of the way of you feet, plenty of trunk space for luggage, comfortable seats up front, 23.5 mpg at 75 - 80 mph,Sirius radio and I'm all set. I doubt any Porche or Vette could be near as confortable.

So you guys down shift and wont let the ricers pass??? I dont want tickets so I ignore them.
Old 5/21/06, 02:53 PM
GT Member

I agree

Great car for road trips. i have an hour drive to work everyday and the seats are sooo comfortable conpared to my last car, a 03 maxima. love this car!
Old 5/21/06, 07:44 PM
Bullitt Member

The wife and I just returned from a 500 miler, the longest yet for my 'Stang, and I couldn't agree more. Very comfortable ride, decent gas mileage and I love having power in reserve for passing (which I used a few times). Coming back, I passed a late model Camaro and he latched on to my bumper. I think he noticed my radar detector. He tailed me for about 30 miles. I think he enjoyed it when I led him through a curvy area on one of the highways at a pretty good clip. I got a polite wave as I made my turn off.

Figures the Ford would lead the way!