Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 06 is Dead

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/05, 04:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car is parked for the winter.

Getting snow storm tonight, so I thought I would go out and start her up for awhile to let her run.

Well at first I thought my key fob was dead, so I go get the extra set. It's dead also. Try putting the key in the lock and at first it would not go in all the way then I got the key to go in all the way, but it would not turn. Same thing when I put the key in the trunk.

Doors will not unlock what so ever. I parked the car a couple weeks ago set the alarm and thought I would just comer out every week or two to start her up over the winter.

She's locked up tighter than you know what. Can't get into it. :bang:

Called the dealship, he said to call road side assistance and have it towed to them. He said it sounds like the battery is dead. I told him I would call Monday, with the snow storm were getting tonight I do not want it out on the road. He said that was fine.

He said they would look at it to see if it was just a dead battery or if something was draining the battery dead

My concern is how are they going to get into the car to get it towed IE: pop the hood to get to the battery or even get into it to release the brake. I really do not want them to use a slim jim on it.
Is there any other way that they can get into the car?

With this active anti theft is this normal to not be able to unlock the car with the key if the battery is dead? For that matter even the trunk will not unlock

Temps have been in the teens and twenty's for at least a week. Is it possible the locks are frozen?

And why at first the keys wouldn't even go in all the way, had to force them a bit then will not turn. Afraid to try too hard and break the key off in the door.

Sorry for the long post, I only got to drive my car for about a week and a half before she got parked, now I can't even get into it.

Monday I'll be calling road side to have it towed to the dealership.
If it is the battery, will they replace it under warrenty or will I have to pay for it?
Old 12/8/05, 05:11 PM
Cobra Member

I'm baffled by the key not working on any of your locks. Is the car parked outside? If it has been raining/snowing and your car is outside then I'd guess the locks are frozen. If so, some lock deicer or WD-40 will free them up. A dead battery won't affect the old fashioned key operation. I've done this to a car before and had the exact same symptoms.
Old 12/8/05, 08:39 PM
GT Member

They should be able to tow the car with the rear end in the air or on a dolly, then get into it at the dealership.
No idea why the battery would be dead, but your locks are probably just frozen to not let you in with the keys. You can get lock de-icer/lube at any hardware store and squirt it in the lock and that should get you right in.
Old 12/9/05, 07:13 AM

Folks, again, if you let them sit a few weeks without driving or trickle charging, the battery will be drained. Unfortunately, the cars computer and all the other stuff that draws power while car is not running will drain the battery. If you don't disconnect the battery for the winter you need to trickle charge all winter. If you look to the future that is why many car companies are looking at higher voltage batteries. It's not like the old days where when the car was off there was no battery drain
Old 12/9/05, 07:31 AM
V6 Member

Your problems sounds like a dead battery/frozen lock combo. I did not know that if it sits a few weeks that the battery would be drained. Thanks for that info, even though it sucks entirely.

This morning was the first run-in with major snow in my Mustang. Seems that the Pirellis in the pony package don't take too kindly to it. I couldn't get up a freshly plowed road, uphill about 25-30 degrees. Although, the traction control did it's job... eventually it refused to allow the wheels to turn at all. I shut it off and made a little more progress but got to a point where I was just spinning em in place. At that point some wimpy Toyota drove right past me effortlessly. wn3d:

Almost makes me miss my front-wheel drive Beetle.
Old 12/9/05, 07:33 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by RENEW1@December 9, 2005, 8:16 AM
Folks, again, if you let them sit a few weeks without driving or trickle charging, the battery will be drained. Unfortunately, the cars computer and all the other stuff that draws power while car is not running will drain the battery. If you don't disconnect the battery for the winter you need to trickle charge all winter. If you look to the future that is why many car companies are looking at higher voltage batteries. It's not like the old days where when the car was off there was no battery drain
Do you mean to say higher Amperage batteries? Unless they are looking into higher voltage with a regulator. I use that setup on one of my R/C helicopters.
Old 12/9/05, 01:07 PM

I wouldn't worry about the slim-jim I locked my key in my trunk back in march, and the ford road servive had no problem pushing a long hooked rod past my window and opening the door. No dammage, Really =)
Old 12/12/05, 02:01 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've let my car sit for over 2.5 weeks and not had the battery run dry...

However, if you guys are experiencing it...
....have you thought about just locking the doors manually, not to arm the interior motion sensors?

This may allow the charge in the battery to last longer...

If you're outside and you need it..well.. try starting it every 2 weeks...or disconnecting the battery altogether...

Open doors...disconnect battery..close doors will stop the cars windows from going back up into the slots.
Old 12/12/05, 04:28 PM
Cobra Member

I wouldn't worry too much about the slim jim, but I would have them use it on the passenger side if they must do it. I have had a slim jim screw up the door internals to the point where the key lock was no longer connected to the locking mechanism - key did nothing. This wouldn't be a problem on your passenger door of course.
Old 12/12/05, 07:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Update:

Sat. got the doors unlocked/unfrozen.
Sun. had the battery trickle/slow charged. She started right up

Found out something I did not know on Friday.
Was advised to not jump start the car as it could blow the computer (power Surge). I had not even thought of that. Glad I did not go that route.

Going to start every other day and see how it goes.

Not sure if I got a bum battery or if something is draining the battery. Hopefully it will hold out until spring to get it looked at. I do not want to drive it with salt on the road and I also do not want to take the chance of having it towed it. Besides I do not think I could watch her being towed anywhere. And even if push come to shove and she had to be towed I woul dmost likely have to drive her home.
Old 12/12/05, 08:43 PM
Bullitt Member

For anyone with their car parked for the winter, I would seriously consider one of these: http://www.batterytender.com/
They don't cost much and then you don't have to worry about dead battery issues. I don't know if any of the site sponsors carry these, but they should consider it.
Old 12/13/05, 02:21 AM

Originally posted by RENEW1@December 9, 2005, 6:16 AM
Folks, .............. If you don't disconnect the battery for the winter you need to trickle charge all winter. If you look to the future that is why many car companies are looking at higher voltage batteries. It's..............

Higher voltage like 36 or more likly 48 volts amps or Cold cranking amps has to do with the power. Reserve power is what will be increased very soon.

AKBOSSMAN ....the Motorcraft battery guy
Old 12/13/05, 04:12 AM
Cobra Member

Try a glycerine-based lock deicer. I had the same problem in my previous car (a Volvo, mind you!) after a night out in a snow storm. Put some deicer in the lock, wait for 5-10 mins and it should work like a charm.
Old 12/13/05, 07:50 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a similar problem with my car when it sat for 2 and a half weeks. I did give it a jump and let it run for 20 minutes.

Boomer made a good point, not to turn on the alarm system (mine is in a locked garage).

I'll have to start it more often from now on
Old 2/14/06, 05:47 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PonyLover @ December 8, 2005, 6:51 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
My car is parked for the winter.

Getting snow storm tonight, so I thought I would go out and start her up for awhile to let her run.

Well at first I thought my key fob was dead, so I go get the extra set. It's dead also. Try putting the key in the lock and at first it would not go in all the way then I got the key to go in all the way, but it would not turn. Same thing when I put the key in the trunk.

Doors will not unlock what so ever. I parked the car a couple weeks ago set the alarm and thought I would just comer out every week or two to start her up over the winter.

She's locked up tighter than you know what. Can't get into it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

Called the dealship, he said to call road side assistance and have it towed to them. He said it sounds like the battery is dead. I told him I would call Monday, with the snow storm were getting tonight I do not want it out on the road. He said that was fine.

He said they would look at it to see if it was just a dead battery or if something was draining the battery dead [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

My concern is how are they going to get into the car to get it towed IE: pop the hood to get to the battery or even get into it to release the brake. I really do not want them to use a slim jim on it.
Is there any other way that they can get into the car?

With this active anti theft is this normal to not be able to unlock the car with the key if the battery is dead? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] For that matter even the trunk will not unlock

Temps have been in the teens and twenty's for at least a week. Is it possible the locks are frozen?

And why at first the keys wouldn't even go in all the way, had to force them a bit then will not turn. Afraid to try too hard and break the key off in the door.
Sorry for the long post, I only got to drive my car for about a week and a half before she got parked, now I can't even get into it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crying.gif[/img]

Monday I'll be calling road side to have it towed to the dealership.
If it is the battery, will they replace it under warrenty or will I have to pay for it?
[/b][/quote]

I have the same problem with my 06. If the car is not started within a 1 1/2 weeks the battery is dead as a door nail. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong. It is probably the computer or something else that fails to go into the sleep mode (< 30 ma current draw) and is drawing more like 250 ma.

I don't know how the dealer will figure this out. I am afraid to leave my car at the airport for a few days now.
Old 2/16/06, 04:16 PM

My 05 GT battery will die in 3 weeks if left alone, or, in 10 days with the alarm on. My mechanic buddy says it's probably because the computer is always draining power...
I keep a bettery tender on it now, and just plug it in every few days.
DanG
Old 4/17/06, 07:32 PM

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] Great, another reason to drive my Mustang more often. I'm not sure I could go 2 1/2 weeks without the rush I get when I turn the key. So far she hasn't set for more than 2 days without getting turned on.
Old 4/17/06, 07:51 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PonyLover @ December 13, 2005, 5:23 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Was advised to not jump start the car as it could blow the computer (power Surge). I had not even thought of that. Glad I did not go that route.
[/b][/quote]

how would that happen??
Old 5/8/06, 02:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, FIRST THINGS FIRST.

First, I know it is cold, but leave the whisky bottle aside, then, go put the wifes explorer keys back in the key holder and grab the mustang keys.
Don't drive it until the alcohol effect is gone.

Problem solved.

(just kidding , glad to know you could open and start the car)