Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Mustang" Door Sill Plate Coming Up

Search this Thread

Old 9/7/06, 09:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Mustang" Door Sill Plate Coming Up

One of my co-workers has an '05 GT Coupe. He told me today that he's noticed the edge of the "Mustang" Door Sill Plate coming up on one end. He says he pushes it down and it stays that way for awhile but eventually comes back up again.

Does anyone know if the sills are glued on or how they are attached? What's the best way for him to resecure the sill? Thanks.
Old 9/7/06, 11:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by steevr
One of my co-workers has an '05 GT Coupe. He told me today that he's noticed the edge of the "Mustang" Door Sill Plate coming up on one end. He says he pushes it down and it stays that way for awhile but eventually comes back up again.

Does anyone know if the sills are glued on or how they are attached? What's the best way for him to resecure the sill? Thanks.
I had the same problem with the sill on the driver side. Based on my experience trying to glue the plate back on I wouldn't even try it.
Go back to the dealer and see if they'll replace it under warrenty.

I went to one dealership (not the one where I bought my car) and they took pictures of the sill and submitted a claim to Ford and it was denied, then I went to the dealer where I bought the car and they didn't even look at the sill plate, they just ordered a new one.

When the part came in (it's the entire sill plate, not just the silver part) the service department replaced the part and gave me the silver place to install myself...it had some glue on the bottom of the plate so all I had to do was peel the plastic sheet off the plate and put it on the plate.)
Old 9/8/06, 11:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The one on my passenger's side did the same thing a few short months after I got my '05 in October 2004. It is out of the original 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty (I now have over 50,000 miles), and even though I have the premium care ESP warranty, I've been told that they won't replace it under warranty. I went ahead and ordered a new one for the driver's side and one for the passenger's side throught Kevin.

Out of curiousity, which side did you have the problem with - driver's or passenger's?

Ford wonders why they are having problems and if you ask me - it is their not backing what they sell. When you spend money on a new car there shouldn't be the kinds of issues that we have all had with these new Mustangs. It really is quite irritating and frustrating. That being said though, I still wouldn't trade my '05 for anything.
Old 9/8/06, 02:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mtang78
The one on my passenger's side did the same thing a few short months after I got my '05 in October 2004. It is out of the original 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty (I now have over 50,000 miles), and even though I have the premium care ESP warranty, I've been told that they won't replace it under warranty. I went ahead and ordered a new one for the driver's side and one for the passenger's side throught Kevin.

Out of curiousity, which side did you have the problem with - driver's or passenger's?

Ford wonders why they are having problems and if you ask me - it is their not backing what they sell. When you spend money on a new car there shouldn't be the kinds of issues that we have all had with these new Mustangs. It really is quite irritating and frustrating. That being said though, I still wouldn't trade my '05 for anything.
I picked up my car on December 28 2004. The problem I had was on the driver's side sill plate. I noticed it kept coming up on the part toward the front of the car so I tried to glue it back down with no luck.
So one day while on my way home from work I stopped by a Ford Dealer in the area and after taking pictures and submitting a claim to Ford it was denied.
After the claim was denied I thought I'd take a chance and talk to my selling dealer. When I drove in the Service Manager happened to be in the bay talking to my regular advisor, and when I mentioned the problem he said 'no problem, we'll order a new one for you'.
My dealer's service department always treats me well. I always wait for my car when I bring it in for service, and they always get the car done within a couple hours.

I had a problem with my shifter bezal on my car (the accordian thing that's connected to the shifter) broke one day so I had a gap between the shifter and the accordian part. I took the car in and the service advisior knew what the problem was without looking at the car. Part was ordered and when it arrived I brought the car in expecting a long wait to get the part installed...but within an hour the car was ready to go.
Old 9/8/06, 05:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks all for the info. He's going to stop back at the dealer to see if they replace it.

It was the driver's side with the edge towards the front of the car that was coming up.
Old 9/8/06, 07:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Question

Ok to get this straight. Is this issue only for the little plate that has "Mustang" written on it in the middle of the door sill. Or, is it for the entire door sill?
Old 9/8/06, 08:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Little Black Pony
Ok to get this straight. Is this issue only for the little plate that has "Mustang" written on it in the middle of the door sill. Or, is it for the entire door sill?
It's the entire door sill. They don't sell the silver plate by itself
Old 9/9/06, 08:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wink

Oh ok, that makes more sense. This will be a good thing to check for. Thanks