2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mustang alarm system

Search this Thread

Old 12/2/04, 06:37 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered my mustang without an alarm so i have a few questions.

1. What does the passive alarm that all mustangs come with do?

2. What does the factory acessory (powercode security) avaliable through the catalog do? Is it the same thing as the alarm option?

3. If I went aftermarket what are the best systems to use? (I'm in the UK for the next few years)

And don't be THAT GUY who say's a gun.
Old 12/2/04, 07:09 PM
Bullitt Member

"a Pistola"
Old 12/3/04, 06:53 AM

Originally posted by zinn@December 2, 2004, 8:40 PM

2. What does the factory acessory (powercode security) avaliable through the catalog do? Is it the same thing as the alarm option?

3. If I went aftermarket what are the best systems to use? (I'm in the UK for the next few years)

I can answer one of your questions, I would like to know the answers to your other questions, also. I did not order my car, bought it straight from a dealer, so I don't have the active system either. But to answer question #1:

SecuriLockâ„¢ Passive Anti-Theft System
Passive anti-theft systems like SecuriLock protect against drive-away theft through the use of an electronically coded ignition key. The vehicle starts and operates only if the electronic code in the ignition key matches the one programmed into the vehicle, thwarting attempts to hot-wire the ignition. A miniature transponder with an integrated circuit and antenna is imbedded in the ignition key. A wireless radio-frequency transmission transfers an electronic code between the transponder in the key and the vehicle. If the codes match, a signal passes through the wiring system to the electronic engine control, allowing the vehicle to start.

I know this wasn't part of your question, but here is what the active security system does/includes:

Separate Alarm Sounder
Car thieves often begin by disabling the vehicle’s horn to disarm the alarm system. So Mustang employs a separate, remotely located alarm sounder that makes it harder for thieves to disable the system and make off with the car or its contents.

Anti-Tow Sensor
To guard against the growing criminal trend of tow-away theft, an inclination-sensing module records the vehicle’s angle of inclination when the anti-theft system is armed. If the sensor detects a change in vehicle inclination, it sends a signal to the alarm system, which triggers a separate alarm sounder and flashes the car's lights to guard against tow-away thefts. This sensor also can detect whether one corner or side of the vehicle has been jacked up, to guard against theft of wheels and tires.

Ultrasonic Interior Motion Sensor
To detect "smash-and-grab" break-ins, an ultrasonic interior-motion sensor determines if glass has been broken or someone has placed a hand or other object inside the car. If an intrusion is detected, the alarm sounder is activated and the exterior lights flash to frighten would-be thieves.

Perimeter Anti-Theft Protection
Perimeter anti-theft sensors also detect the opening of the hood, doors or trunk when the anti-theft system is armed. If the vehicle is parked and the window rolled down, for example, the alarm is sounded if a would-be-thief tries to open the door to gain access to the car.

High-Capacity Battery
A 60-ampere-hour battery is capable of sounding the alarm longer. This more powerful battery lends an extra measure of authority to the active anti-theft system and helps prevent battery run-down from use of Mustang's powerful audio system while the engine is off.
Old 12/5/04, 01:57 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the info, now hopefully someone can answer the rest of the questions.
Old 12/7/04, 11:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

[quote]Originally posted by gunk mudder@December 3, 2004, 6:56 AM
Originally Posted by zinn,December 2, 2004, 8:40 PM

Separate Alarm Sounder
Car thieves often begin by disabling the vehicle’s horn to disarm the alarm system. So Mustang employs a separate, remotely located alarm sounder that makes it harder for thieves to disable the system and make off with the car or its contents.
The "separate alarm sounder" on my car sounds very much like the horn to me. I haven't delved very deeply into it yet. Anyone else checked theirs out?
Old 12/8/04, 11:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

i got the active on mine and had the Ford people install the full on alarm a few days later.....it still is just the horn....no siren in it period....it is VERY sensitive though. If i park it in the garage and then set it and open the door to go inside it'll go off just by shutting the house door behind me.....might seem over sensitive, but I want it that way.....
Old 12/12/04, 06:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by gunk mudder@December 3, 2004, 8:56 AM

I can answer one of your questions, I would like to know the answers to your other questions, also. I did not order my car, bought it straight from a dealer, so I don't have the active system either. But to answer question #1:

SecuriLockâ„¢ Passive Anti-Theft System
Passive anti-theft systems like SecuriLock protect against drive-away theft through the use of an electronically coded ignition key. The vehicle starts and operates only if the electronic code in the ignition key matches the one programmed into the vehicle, thwarting attempts to hot-wire the ignition. A miniature transponder with an integrated circuit and antenna is imbedded in the ignition key. A wireless radio-frequency transmission transfers an electronic code between the transponder in the key and the vehicle. If the codes match, a signal passes through the wiring system to the electronic engine control, allowing the vehicle to start.

I know this wasn't part of your question, but here is what the active security system does/includes:

Separate Alarm Sounder

Anti-Tow Sensor
To guard against the growing criminal trend of tow-away theft, an inclination-sensing module records the vehicle’s angle of inclination when the anti-theft system is armed. If the sensor detects a change in vehicle inclination, it sends a signal to the alarm system, which triggers a separate alarm sounder and flashes the car's lights to guard against tow-away thefts. This sensor also can detect whether one corner or side of the vehicle has been jacked up, to guard against theft of wheels and tires.

Ultrasonic Interior Motion Sensor
To detect "smash-and-grab" break-ins, an ultrasonic interior-motion sensor determines if glass has been broken or someone has placed a hand or other object inside the car. If an intrusion is detected, the alarm sounder is activated and the exterior lights flash to frighten would-be thieves.

Perimeter Anti-Theft Protection
Perimeter anti-theft sensors also detect the opening of the hood, doors or trunk when the anti-theft system is armed. If the vehicle is parked and the window rolled down, for example, the alarm is sounded if a would-be-thief tries to open the door to gain access to the car.

High-Capacity Battery
A 60-ampere-hour battery is capable of sounding the alarm longer. This more powerful battery lends an extra measure of authority to the active anti-theft system and helps prevent battery run-down from use of Mustang's powerful audio system while the engine is off.
[/quote]
In additon to all that The Active Anti theft includes remote/keyed operation of the power windows. With this featur you can open and close both windows with the kefob or by turning the key in the driver door lock cylinder. Ford calls this the Global open-close feature-it is detailed in the owner guide
Old 12/12/04, 11:16 AM
GT Member

Had a Viper 690XV w/DEI motion detector installed yesterday. It does all the things listed below. Has it own sound devices which don't run through the horn. The installer put the LED in the ovehead light compartment which gives the interior a nice pale blue appearance when it is activated.
Old 2/7/05, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by topconbob@December 12, 2004, 12:19 PM
Had a Viper 690XV w/DEI motion detector installed yesterday. It does all the things listed below. Has it own sound devices which don't run through the horn. The installer put the LED in the ovehead light compartment which gives the interior a nice pale blue appearance when it is activated.
have been looking at the viper, How do u like it? any other add on you selected to it? how about the trunk opening? is the installed had problem with it?
what about door lock, does the door lock when you car start as well ?
let me know , i was ready to move on with it but decided to check a little bit more...
Nick
Old 2/7/05, 10:06 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by zinn@December 2, 2004, 7:40 PM

1) Already explained
2) The Factory add on "Powercode" alarm does most of the functions that the "Active Alarm" does with the exception of the global raising/lowering of the windows - it uses your existing FOB's - and I'm not clear on weather or not it comes with a seperate horn - I was told it does - but the brochure my dealer gave me does not address a seperate horn. Also, this module is available through Ford Accessories Catalog - no need to pay additional Dealer profit when you can purchase direct.
3) TBD - have looked at the Viper system - seems like it does everything inc. remote start - just my local shop tried to charge me $600.00 installed - I'll find it elsewhere for a reasonable price.....
Old 2/8/05, 10:44 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by nmto0777+February 7, 2005, 10:30 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nmto0777 @ February 7, 2005, 10:30 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-topconbob@December 12, 2004, 12:19 PM
have been looking at the viper, How do u like it? any other add on you selected to it? how about the trunk opening? is the installed had problem with it?
what about door lock, does the door lock when you car start as well ?
let me know , i was ready to move on with it but decided to check a little bit more...
Nick
[/b][/quote]

The answer to your questions is yes. The doors lock within a second or so after the engine is started. The trunk latch operates with the auxillary button on the remote. The installer put the LED between the map lights. The unit is mounted under the battery so that it can't be disarmed quickly by cutting the cables. The motion detectors chirp when something gets within about a foot of the windows, have not had any problem with alarm being too sensitive and chirping all the time. The remote works up to a 1/4 mile away. So if you can run fast you can catch'em.
Regards
Old 2/8/05, 10:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

"So if you can run fast you can catch'em"

hahahaha
Old 2/8/05, 11:56 AM

I must be blind. I have been trying to activate the Global Open-Close feature of my active alarm system, I see it referred to in the manual but can not locate the procedure for making it happen. Can someone point me to the page number in the manual for setting this up. Thanks in advance.
Old 3/28/05, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by azguy@February 8, 2005, 2:59 PM
I must be blind. I have been trying to activate the Global Open-Close feature of my active alarm system, I see it referred to in the manual but can not locate the procedure for making it happen. Can someone point me to the page number in the manual for setting this up. Thanks in advance.
It's on page 65 of the PDF Manual I have... I only have an electronic version as my baby hasn't arrived yet!
Old 3/30/05, 09:19 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by azguy@February 8, 2005, 12:59 PM

You can't :nono: activate it yourself. IF you have the Active-Alarm-System, then the dealer has to tap into the computer and enable it. The cars have been coming out of the factory with it disabled.

I had my dealer re-enable the Global Opening feature and now the key FOB works as well as the key cylinder.

Luis