2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Mustang 2006 engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 9/30/11, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang 2006 engine swap

Hi everyone!
I know the difference between the ECM and the PCM but I'm doing an engine swap on my 2006 V6 for a 2008 3v GT engine do I need to replace both of them or do they come together in newer vehicles?
A mechanic told me I needed to switch the ECM.
Does any body knows? Please help me
Old 9/30/11, 11:16 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pcm(powertrain control module)
Ecm(engine control module)

Id say yes you would have to since it controls the engine. But you may be able to reflash it
Old 9/30/11, 01:10 PM

Oh ok. Thanks for the info.
Im not a car technician but I'm an electrical engineering and I'm sure we can fit a v8 engine program into the v6 PCM right.
Now I have a T5 transmission in place and I also have a T45 that came with the engine so what route would you take. T5 or T45 and if T5 would the same clutch work ?
Old 9/30/11, 01:25 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by rmnavas
Oh ok. Thanks for the info.
Im not a car technician but I'm an electrical engineering and I'm sure we can fit a v8 engine program into the v6 PCM right.
Now I have a T5 transmission in place and I also have a T45 that came with the engine so what route would you take. T5 or T45 and if T5 would the same clutch work ?
Not quite true... V6 and v8s use different sensors. Therefor the plug-ins on the pcm are most likely different.
Old 9/30/11, 04:25 PM

Oh ok thanks.
I'm going to start today so hopefully
Everything comes out the way I want lol..
Do you have any idea of what else would I need to do this project?
Old 9/30/11, 06:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
You need to get n A/C system from a GT since on the V6 it is on the opposite side of the engine. Your going to need a new driveshaft or at least change the flange since the V6 uses a cobra pinion flange also it would be best to get the same model year as the one you have. Also people have been having troubles with the PATS system and getting the tune just right to work. I would contact Chris Rose over at BAMA tunes since I know that they have had some experience with these problems. Also check out S197forums.com and do a search there thats where I found out a lot of information about my V8 that I plan to do once I get more financially sound and get a house and such ... Good luck with it!

Oh and I dont think the T-5 mates up to the 4.6L IIRC
Old 10/1/11, 10:24 AM

Oh ok thanks.! That's a lot of good information there. I was talking to the mechanic and he said that almost everything is the same on the v6 and the v8, he said that the T5 from my v6 should fit the new engine all I need is a new GT clutch for it.
But thanks I'll try to contact Chris
Old 10/1/11, 10:38 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

T5s are pretty weak. I would get ready to invest in at least a t45 maybe a tremec 3650.
Old 10/1/11, 10:44 AM

Yeah well I already have a T45, the one that came with the engine but the guy that sold it to me said that the T5 would fit also so I was just wondering. I was thinking on putting the t45 instead Bcuz of the power.
I get different answers regarding my swap. Some people say I don't need much and some people say I need a lot.
Old 10/1/11, 11:43 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Yeah well I already have a T45, the one that came with the engine but the guy that sold it to me said that the T5 would fit also so I was just wondering. I was thinking on putting the t45 instead Bcuz of the power.
I get different answers regarding my swap. Some people say I don't need much and some people say I need a lot.
I've done two engine swaps. Granted they were done on older cars. We took 98 v6er and felled an 01 cobra engine into it. Used a t45 out of a gt. And a rear diff out of a gt. All suspention was from a 98 cobra found parting out on Craigslist. You have to get a pcm and wireing harness for whatever motor you use.

Just keep in mind swaps can be expencive and don't usually raise the value of the vehicle. If you do it I would plan on keeping the car.
Old 10/1/11, 03:07 PM

Nice! Now we talking lol..
Well I have a 2008 V8 GT engine with complete harness, T45 transmission with brand new flywheel, I know I have to get a new PCM for this engine, also a rear end.
Oh and a 1996-2001 GT clutch for the transmission.
If what I wrote above is all I need I'm ready for the swap.

Do I need anything else besides that?
I keep asking this question Because some people say yeah and some people say no. So since you have already done two swaps what do you think?

And yes I plan to keep the car. I had the option of trading it for a GT but I rather swap the engine. For three reasons I like to work on my car, I want to say I did an engine swap by myself, and Bcuz it's a new experience.
Old 10/1/11, 03:24 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Nice! Now we talking lol..
Well I have a 2008 V8 GT engine with complete harness, T45 transmission with brand new flywheel, I know I have to get a new PCM for this engine, also a rear end.
Oh and a 1996-2001 GT clutch for the transmission.
If what I wrote above is all I need I'm ready for the swap.

Do I need anything else besides that?
I keep asking this question Because some people say yeah and some people say no. So since you have already done two swaps what do you think?

And yes I plan to keep the car. I had the option of trading it for a GT but I rather swap the engine. For three reasons I like to work on my car, I want to say I did an engine swap by myself, and Bcuz it's a new experience.
All I see you missing is a v8 driveshaft and suspension

Edit:and v8 exhaust

Might have to mess with the fuel lines..

Last edited by texastboneking; 10/1/11 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10/1/11, 04:28 PM

Well I can use my v6 driveshaft with a cobra flange as mentioned above.
About the suspension I'm ok! I lowered my mustang a while back with a pro kit from American muscle and the kit was good got V6 and GT
Old 10/1/11, 04:28 PM

Oh and I also already have a dual exhaust system. I changed it a while back too
Old 10/2/11, 11:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Honestly I would get a computer from a 2008 GT and get a TR-3650 so that all you have to do is flip the transmission brace instead of create a custom piece for it. You have two transmissions right now I am sure you can sell both of them and have enough money for the TR-3650. The more the years match the easier the swap will be. Most important though is getting a computer from a 2008 GT as you are going to have less problems in the future. And also the V6 uses the Cobra Pinon Flange and the GT doesn't so you won't be able to bolt up a V6 driveshaft up to the GT rear end. All of the fuel lines should be the same, I havn't read anything about them being different to be honest
Old 10/2/11, 12:37 PM

Oh ok. Yeah makes sense. I'll put them on eBay or craiglist to see if I can sell both of them. thanks man.

One last question though
They said the 2008 engines had 4 or 5 different computers.? Does it matter which computer I get? I mean I as long as I get the 2008 GT!
Or how can I find out what computer my engine uses!
Old 10/2/11, 08:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The car should have only 1 computer under the hood. I have never heard of there being more than 1 computer to be honest but I may be misunderstanding the question. As long as it came from a 2008 GT you should be fine. Here is a thread i found for you to help you along the way. It lists alot of what you need and the person TexasBlownV8 has done the swap before and has answered many peoples questions. I hope the link works

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showt...highlight=swap
Old 10/4/11, 10:26 AM

Yeah I know, the cars only have one computer. What I meant to say is that some one told me that ford had made several different computer models for the 2008 engine, that's why I was wondering if any of you knew if that is true or not. Because is easy for me to get a computer for my 2008 engine but not if they have different ones.
Sorry for the confusion
Old 10/5/11, 08:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

To be honest the only changes that I know of with the 3v was the addition of the 1 piece spark plug design but I haven't heard of more than one computer to be honest. It would seem to get complicated going down the assembly line having to plug in different computers though lol

Maybe you can pm Ford Customer Service and they may be able to get you that information and if need be get you the part number for the right computer if there was more than one available for that year.
Old 10/6/11, 06:55 AM

Oh ok. Yeah it would be kind of weird to have different computers for the same year lol.. Oh well just making sure lol.
Thanks dude.

Quick Reply: Mustang 2006 engine swap