29.27%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Which mod next

Search this Thread

Old 3/10/10, 07:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which mod next

OK, got some coin and ready to pick up some items to mod this spring. Curious what everyone's thoughts are on which mod group they would pick, if they were me.

1. Short Throw Shifter and CAI/Tune
2. Lowering Springs and Shocks/Struts
3. New Wheels and Tires
4. Painted Stripes and Window Tint
5. Keep saving the money for a Supercharger

Here's a few pics of my ride right now:

Old 3/10/10, 08:03 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Keep saving for the blower.

I should have started with that first.

Worth every penny.
Old 3/10/10, 08:05 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, I'd love a blower too. But when I first saw your car I thought it was a 4x4. For some reason your fender/tire gaps look really big. Lower that thing. I normally hate those types of spoilers, but that particular one works really well on your car.
Old 3/10/10, 09:01 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Can I vote #2 & #3? Those together really sets the attitude for a car so either those, or the s/c'r gets my vote!
Old 3/11/10, 02:35 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats tough! Maybe a cai/tune, and also get a cai that can work with a furure superchager and you will already have the programmer?

Last edited by SONICBOOST; 3/11/10 at 02:36 AM.
Old 3/12/10, 05:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Springs/struts. Will help no matter what you do down the road.
Old 3/12/10, 06:54 AM
Cobra Member

Keep saving for the blower.. Hands down the best mod I've ever done.
Old 3/12/10, 08:34 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
wheels and tires.. I highly recommend this set up... best I've seen...I bet it would still look good at stock ride high too.

https://themustangsource.com/showthr...ght=baby+shoes
Old 3/15/10, 06:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I've still got a couple weeks to make a decision, since my Stang will still be in storage for awhile. I think I've narrowed it down a bit. I'm going to wait on the wheels and tires for now, because I was set on getting either Razors or CS40's, then decided the CS40's were my first choice, only to struggle to find much availabilty. For those of you with superchargers, did you already have your ride lowered, or if not, did you find that after adding the blower that you really needed it lowered? I guess I'm just curious if I'm going to need the springs regardless. I think I'm also going to hold off on the CAI, since it would inevitably get replaced with the supercharger anyways.
Old 3/15/10, 07:08 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So, based on the poll I guess you're deciding against stripes?
Old 3/15/10, 07:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
So, based on the poll I guess you're deciding against stripes?
No, they just won't be next is all. I may also look at doing vinyl instead of paint if I can find a local place that will install them without breaking the bank. Doing the bumpers has me a little hesitant to do them myself. Well, that and deciding exactly which style stripes I want to go with. I've thought about the standard Le Mans stripes, but also thought a little bit about something similar to the FR500S stripe style, etc.

BTW...thanks for the compliments on the spoiler. The wing style spoilers are not always the easiest to pull off, but I wanted something unique to my ride and "race-inspired" in design and thought this one did that.
Old 3/16/10, 10:03 AM
Cobra Member

Here's the thing... if you are going to get a supercharger... if that's your end goal at some point... a CAI and tune is a waste of money.

You'll likely have to sell the CAI, you'll be able to retain your tuner, but you'll be out the money for the tune and the CAI.

Take it from someone who went that route

Other than that I say get what you want.
Old 3/16/10, 10:25 AM
Bullitt Member

I say if you're going to wait for the supercharger, do some small stuff right now like tint and painted mirror covers. Those are next on my mod to do list along with cutting my antenna down but looks like you have already done that.

Looks clean so far with the chin and spoiler. Personally I'm not doing any big mods until she's paid off in a little over four years...
Old 3/16/10, 06:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, I think I've decided the supercharger is definitely on the list, so agreed, I'll pass on the CAI and tune. I think the short-throw would be nice, but the '08 shifter is so much better than my SN95, that I don't notice the need for it as much as others might. Right now, I'm 50/50 between continuing to save for the supercharger, or picking up the springs/shocks/struts now (Koni's and Steeda Springs most likely) and getting the supercharger a little later. Unless of course, I come across a killer deal on one of the above sooner.
Old 3/16/10, 08:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
I say it depends on how long you're going to be saving up for the supercharger. My goal is to get S/C'd too someday, but it's a LONG term project, and I won't get it until the car is paid off in two more years. I've had the CAI for 3 years now, so that's at least 5 years total of driving enjoyment while I save up. And it's been TOTALLY worth it. Everyone agrees, the tune totally transforms the car. I'd rather spend the money and not have to stick with the stock throttle lag or power levels for that long.

I think you could do #1 but cheaper. You don't need the CAI itself, just the tuner (which you'll need for the S/C later anyway) and a tune. And you probably don't need the short throw shifter either. Try urethane bushings in the shifter linkage first. Steeda has a kit that only costs $25 shipped, and it'll really improve shifter feel. You might still want to get the short throw shifter, but for $25..eh, what the hell...why not try out bushings first?

Also, ever consider an underdrive pulley?

Now if you definitely don't want to do #1, I say get the suspension. I've gone down that road too and I've had a lot more fun with that than power mods.
Old 3/17/10, 02:36 AM
Cobra R Member

car looks good now add to the go...
Old 3/20/10, 10:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Cavero
I say it depends on how long you're going to be saving up for the supercharger. My goal is to get S/C'd too someday, but it's a LONG term project, and I won't get it until the car is paid off in two more years. I've had the CAI for 3 years now, so that's at least 5 years total of driving enjoyment while I save up. And it's been TOTALLY worth it. Everyone agrees, the tune totally transforms the car. I'd rather spend the money and not have to stick with the stock throttle lag or power levels for that long.

I think you could do #1 but cheaper. You don't need the CAI itself, just the tuner (which you'll need for the S/C later anyway) and a tune. And you probably don't need the short throw shifter either. Try urethane bushings in the shifter linkage first. Steeda has a kit that only costs $25 shipped, and it'll really improve shifter feel. You might still want to get the short throw shifter, but for $25..eh, what the hell...why not try out bushings first?

Also, ever consider an underdrive pulley?

Now if you definitely don't want to do #1, I say get the suspension. I've gone down that road too and I've had a lot more fun with that than power mods.
Thanks for the input Cavero, some pretty valid points. I think what I'll probably do over the next couple weeks is research the different superchargers and who I would want to do the tune for it. That's probably the first thing I should do, to best scope things out. Right now, I'm leaning towards a Whipple, but they seem to be on the more expensive end of superchargers, so I might also look at Saleen, Roush, Edelbrock, etc. I have decided it's definitely on the list though, simply because my stubborn self is going to want to keep up with the 2011's.

I had thought about UDP's as well, but due to my stubbornness mentioned above, I think I'll inevitably need/want the supercharger anyways. As for saving up, hopefully I can swing it next spring, or worse case the following. However, with an expense like that, sometimes you just have to play it by ear.

Also, thanks for the insights into the shifter bushings. I'll have to look at that option a little closer.

Originally Posted by DynamicmustangGT;
Thanks DynamicMustangGT. Agreed, time for some "go mods"
Old 3/20/10, 12:14 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lower it and keep saving for that supercharger. This way you've already got a start on the suspension and you won't waste time/money with intakes you won't be able to use later. That wing you put on the car really makes it look a lot taller, so you need to balance it. Of course, this is all from the female perspective.
Old 3/20/10, 01:26 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DynamicmustangGT
I think the car looks great! .... Except for the huge wing
Old 3/20/10, 06:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Antigini-GT/CS
Lower it and keep saving for that supercharger. This way you've already got a start on the suspension and you won't waste time/money with intakes you won't be able to use later. That wing you put on the car really makes it look a lot taller, so you need to balance it. Of course, this is all from the female perspective.
That's the route I'm leaning towards. I'll most likely lower my car at some point anyways, it's more a matter of deciding the order of when I do the mods (with the exception of the CAI, which most likely wouldn't be transferable to a supercharger). I'd also agree that the lowered look will flow better with the style I've chosen for my car, as I'm going for a more race inspired look, while still keeping it a mostly street car. One of my favorite Mustangs is the FR500S, so that's played a role in my design inspiration, but it's still a project in progress.

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST;
I think the car looks great! .... Except for the huge wing
Thanks Adaam, I take it your not a fan of wing spoilers? I like the other styles like the ducktails as well, but wanted to go with a more race oriented look for my Stang. For me personally, I felt the Steeda Street Wing did a nice job of providing a race-oriented style without being too over the top for street driving. However, I do think lowering the car will help the flow, so that may be leading me to the option of lowering first and then getting the supercharger in a year or two.