2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Metal in oil / Stroker advice

Search this Thread

Old 6/26/17, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metal in oil / Stroker advice

Changing the oil today after about 500 miles do to new cams installed and a run on the dyno I was blessed with this metal shaving in the picture below. There are a ton of smaller bits that are to small to get a picture of. The cams are fine sounds like a knock coming from a rear cylinder . Question is if that came from a piston or inside the block in a cylinder wall or something would stroking the block having it bored be a good idea? If it is if any of you have stroked the 4.6 before let me know I'm sure I'll come up with plenty of questions like Not all kits need a bore right? Obviously I may need one that does
Old 6/27/17, 12:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
When I had metal in mine it was due to one of the cam followers that seized up and was eating up the cam.
Old 6/30/17, 03:33 PM

Pulled the cams out to inspect them they are fine wearing in good. I found a spot in the timing chain that had small slivers of what I would guess to be aluminum. It was only one spot on the outside of the chain like it was sprinkled on there there is very minimal pieces of the extremely small stuff in the top of the motor except for that one bit I found on the drivers side chain. Any ideas? I plan to see about taking the oil pan off with the motor still in the car this weekend to see if I can't at least find the issue.

In reference to the stuff I found today there about the size of the one in the picture about but extremely thin
Old 7/1/17, 09:19 AM

so whoever claims you can get the oil pan out with the motor still in this car is a liar,they broke some stuff in the process or removed everything from under the motor before doing it in which case you've pretty much pulled the motor. Update on the metal source I have no clue. I cut the filters open to find nothing. Unbolted the oil pan and lifted the motor enough to get a decent peak inside the bottom end and the little bit I can see is perfectly fine. Drained all of the oil I recently put in after letting it run for awhile and taking it up the road and only found the extremely small pieces that you can barely see which I presume to be from the new cams. So now I'm taking bets. I'm putting it all back together and going about business like I never saw anything. How long till she locks up? I've decided on putting a 5.0 in it instead of stroking the 4.6 just gonna wait till she gives up on me. If they built this anything like the 2000 I had she'll be fine for another 50k
Old 7/3/17, 05:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

On mine the wall on the follower had collapsed and was eating up the cam, so it was pretty obvious. If you didn't find it anywhere but in the pan, maybe they got some in there while installing it and it has nothing to do with you engine.
Old 7/3/17, 10:40 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Would a Compression test be in order?
Old 7/3/17, 01:07 PM

I was so focused on the crank or cams I over looked one of the lifters. The roller on it is eating away at the side of the lifter. It did put a tiny scratch on the cams small enough I passed it over. That explains all of the tiny aluminum looking bits. I still have yet to find where the bigger pieces came from
Old 7/14/17, 09:51 AM

Found the real problem today. I couldn't get a great picture of it but the lash adjuster have started punching their way thru the heads. It has worn out holes like that in all of them. I can only assume it's from the Ford hot rod cams
Old 7/14/17, 10:33 AM

Better picture
Old 7/14/17, 11:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Wow! I have the ford hot rod cams too, had them put in after my one of my cam followers collapsed and was eating my OEM cam up. After the install I kept an eye on my oil for while, and didn't see any more metal, I'll have to start checking again. I hope that's not inherent to the cams, maybe a result of the install? Steeda did the install on mine, and they've installed a ton of them so I'd be surprised if they messed it up. Anyway I'll have to check next oil change ...
Old 7/14/17, 01:02 PM

Suggestions on heads? I don't plan on going back to stock and they have to be replaced. The ones I'm seeing are over 2 grand each I can't even think about dropping that much. It'll cut into my supercharger fund I haven't even started yet
Old 7/14/17, 01:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas Reynolds
Suggestions on heads? I don't plan on going back to stock and they have to be replaced. The ones I'm seeing are over 2 grand each I can't even think about dropping that much. It'll cut into my supercharger fund I haven't even started yet
Not a lot of options out there for 3-valve heads Just not that long of a run for this motor. With limited choices the price goes up.

If you need to go cheap, stock heads rebuilt with upgraded valve springs is probably your best bet. People still make plenty of power with them especially if you plan on some boost later on.

Last edited by 07 Boss; 7/14/17 at 01:53 PM.
Old 7/15/17, 06:08 PM

New
Old
I was looking at new heads and noticed they come with holes in the bottom of each of the lash adjuster "sockets" it just so happens that mine are being worn out. After looking at mine more I may have found the issue. In the pictures I am pushing down pretty hard on both you will notice that the old ones barely go down and the new ones go down a good bit. So I would not blame this on the hot rod cams they just didn't help the issue that was already present.