2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

May Ditch Order For Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 7/15/05, 11:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The TL is a very nice car. You've got to commend Honda/Acura for their strategy - keeping the overall vehicle price down by offering little to no options, keeping the build process simple. Looks like there are two choices on the vehicle- transmission (auto/manual) and navigation (yes/no).

The only issue I've heard about the TL is that it has issues managing its power - wheel hop for sure. I had an 02 Altima with the V6, and it had the same issue; just too much power to the front wheels (with no limited slip). I also hear that the DVD-audio system is incredible.

I think it really comes down to what type of vehicle you're looking for, since the TL and Mustang GT really are completely different. I'd take a look at the M35 as well though - a very nice, reasonably priced vehicle as well.
Old 7/15/05, 11:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

My friend just got a new TL and I just got a new Mustang GT about 2 months earlier. The TL seems like a great car and the navigation and bluetooth stuff is real cool, so I say its a nice car for what it is. But if you want performance then its the mustang hands down. Being a front wheel drive car and not having the torque it is quick, but doesn't throw you back in the seat like the mustang, and in my book I like that part
So in my opinion, if your willing to spend more money, but want the added confort features more than you want the performance and option to modify (what muscle cars are known for) then the TL may be for you, but its not for me.. Mustang all the way
Old 7/15/05, 12:40 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I didn't read everyone else's post, so this may have been said.
The TL's quick, but not fast like the GT. A buddy of mine has one, and I easily passed him quickly while we were both going all out. Nice car, but 2 totally different cars... depends on just what you want.
Old 7/15/05, 12:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by ISELLFORD@July 15, 2005, 9:54 AM
I see you ordered the 64E wheels on the '06. This is the reason your order has not been scheduled as they are on indefinate hold. Your dealer should have told you, it is not Ford's fault.

If you want a car quick, i have an 06 GT Black Vert that the customer cancelld his order. Car is scheduled for 8/8. PM me if interested for special TMS pricing.

Being a long time Ford salesperson with blue blood, I would never buy a japanese Car, period. That's just me.
I'm gonna have to say WAIT! Ed's absolutely right, this isn't Ford's fault but the dealer. I think You would be much happier with the GT and Ed is throwing a great deal your way. Just my .02
Old 7/15/05, 01:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by KBONSIG@July 15, 2005, 7:07 AM
I made the mistake of driving a TL yesterday and love it! I ordered my stang as a 05 in Feb - got bumped - and still waiting for my 06 DORA. The owner of the dealership is being a DI#K about putting customer orders in - looks like they want some on their lot to sell first!

Went to another local dealer (WAYNE FORD, WAYNE NJ) and those clowns pretty much tossed me out b/c they would only talk 2K OVER MSRP.

Sorry - but NO car is worth that - thinking about getting a loaded TL (yes, I know they are more $). I'm 29 and in sales so the TL would fit me well.

I love the new GT but not sure it really makes sence for me Thanks FORD for really messing this up you clowns!

Signed,

A confused forum member!
Not sure what kind of response are you looking for. As I mentioned before to someone who posted a similar question, you are on a mustang forum. People here will tell you to try and get a mustang. If you got to an Acura forum, they will tell you to get a TL.
Sit down and write a list of benefits and detriments of each car, and balance it out.
Only you can (and should) take the decision of what car to buy. After all, it is your money.
Old 7/15/05, 03:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Jesus Ed, ya scared the bajeezes out of me!
Old 7/15/05, 03:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by KBONSIG@July 15, 2005, 7:07 AM
I made the mistake of driving a TL yesterday and love it! I ordered my stang as a 05 in Feb - got bumped - and still waiting for my 06 DORA. The owner of the dealership is being a DI#K about putting customer orders in - looks like they want some on their lot to sell first!

Went to another local dealer (WAYNE FORD, WAYNE NJ) and those clowns pretty much tossed me out b/c they would only talk 2K OVER MSRP.

Sorry - but NO car is worth that - thinking about getting a loaded TL (yes, I know they are more $). I'm 29 and in sales so the TL would fit me well.

I love the new GT but not sure it really makes sence for me Thanks FORD for really messing this up you clowns!

Signed,

A confused forum member!
Kyle,
I was the first to take delivery of a GT from Wayne Ford, I worked with Andy Garcia. Thing is, I had an in. I know a guy that used to sell there. If I were you, I would utilize www.forddirect.com to locate a car you want and then go focus on making a deal. This is basically what I did, except that I had an in with that particular dealer. Since Wayne Ford is a small dealer, their allocation on Mustang will be small. Check out www.forddirect.com. You'll need some zip codes, it works by zip. I just used a website that shows the zip codes and it works real well. I personally would hate to see you go from wanting a Mustang to driving an Acura. Don't get me wrong, if you like really reliable, boring Japanese cars, by all means go for it. You'll definitely be able to get an Acura much faster than a Mustang GT.

One other note, don't go to Watchung Ford. They are *ssholes and will easily demand a 3K upcharge.

Good luck!
Old 7/15/05, 03:47 PM
Bullitt Member

I would pick up ISELLFORD's order, there have been several guys talking about a Carlos from Gary Yoemans ford in Daytona Beach Fl. I even heard the do a courtious delivery for a small fee. Just a though. If you would like Ican get you his info or point you in the right directions. If you want an '05 Duval Ford here has several GT's (3 2 white 1 windevil) and v-6's out the whazoo
Old 7/15/05, 04:13 PM
Cobra Member

Sorry to hear the dealer is jerking your chain, Kyle. No one deserves that, least of all a paying customer.

Good to see you've given this serious consideration. A while back, I test drove the new Acura TL. I liked it, but I wasn't blown away by it. The Mustang GT blew me away. I found the TL comfortable, although I was surprised by how noisy the car was. That 270-horsepower V6 produced a lot of engine noise. At the time, they only had automatics. I'm not sure if they offer a manual now. I would have preferred a manual; it might have felt more like a sports sedan.

Regardless of how you feel about either car, the important thing is that you get the one that is the best fit for your current needs and/or lifestyle.

You could always trade into a 'Stang a year or so from now, when the demand lets up a little. Just thinking what's best for you at the moment. I love my 'Stang and I would never try to talk anyone out of getting one, but the truth of the matter is there's a time and a place for everything!

Good luck with your decision.
Old 7/15/05, 08:00 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by CA Stang@July 15, 2005, 1:56 PM
I test drove a TL and it is a very nice car. IMO it is better looking than the G35, and has a great interior. The main drawback IMO, is the fact that it is FWD and has lots of torque steer. It's a totally different car than the Mustang GT, but personally I could see myself driving one if I didn't have my '05 GT. Good luck with your decision.
Old 7/15/05, 08:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Comprimising and not holding out for something you really want will leave you dissapointed in the future.

Go on Ford's website and spend some time searching dealer inventories from different states (you'll need to close the window and open a new one and it will let you use the zip code of a different state). You can also email any of them and have sales reps contact you. You might be able to work out a deal with one of them that could get you a car sooner or you may get lucky and find something you like on a dealer lot.
Old 7/15/05, 08:33 PM
GT Member

it all comes down to your preferences but of course id say go with the mustang...one thing that hasnt been mentioned is the mustangs heritage.

the other day at work a guy in his 50s walked by my desk and saw my posters of a 65 mustang and 99-04 red gt. he stopped and told me about how he used to have a blue 65 with the 289 and then a 68 cobra jet. he asked me if i had a mustang too and i told him all about the gt i recently got.

for me thats one really cool thing about my car. its something thats just as american as anything i can think of. its something all generations can relate to. i love hearing stories from people who owned older mustangs.

and i just cant see anyone ever getting all excited about a tl. but hey like i said...its all about what youll be happy with. when i started looking for a stang i was frustrated because i couldnt find a gt in my price range. i considered getting a v6 right away cuz i really wanted one. but i kept telling myself...good things come to those who wait! and boy was i right! not only did i find a gt with low miles for a good price but it was a limited edition one!

just stick with the gt...theres nothing like driving a mustang. sure some days when its snowing or raining its not as fun...but theres nothing like flying down a back road with the sun shining and the windows down with a v8 under the hood
Old 7/16/05, 10:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Everyone - thank you for your support, but it looks like I'll be going with a 05 TL now. Before I get flamed, let me say the GT is a awesome car and is one sick machine! These two cars are nothing alike - but i'm 95% sure of what i'm about to do here (have the weekend to think about it).

Wife and I went to the dealer and traded in my RSX for a new MDX. Drove the TL 6spd and auto - not buying this car for the HP - that's for sure! Has a lot of cool features (Navi, Ect, and a globel window feature that works)!!! Going to lease it for 32 months then get something else - hey maybe my stang will come in by then!

I bow to all the supporters here and wish you all the very best! Hey, black TL with some chrome 18's and i'll be pimpin!
Old 7/17/05, 12:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

hehe jist kidding. Good luck, in the decision and sleeping this weekend
Old 7/17/05, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by CA Stang@July 15, 2005, 11:56 AM
I test drove a TL and it is a very nice car. IMO it is better looking than the G35, and has a great interior. The main drawback IMO, is the fact that it is FWD and has lots of torque steer. It's a totally different car than the Mustang GT, but personally I could see myself driving one if I didn't have my '05 GT. Good luck with your decision.
The TL is nice but its really just an upscale Accord.

http://www.motorpoint.com.au/acuratl.asp
Old 7/17/05, 03:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by KBONSIG@July 15, 2005, 5:35 AM
I just can't justify paying over MSRP for ANY car! I love the stang and will crush me every time I see one drive by! The TL is another ball game - I'm in sales - take clients out for lunch, married with kids in the future (wife getting a MDX though) so the TL makes more sence.

I had a 97 C5 Vette for 5 years and it was a blast - nothing like a V8. Plus, not sure if the stang would be a let down after the C5 too!
If you've already been a 'Vette' man, then might I suggest you take a looky-loo at the new C-6 Vette. It's shorter and narrower. I've never been a vette person, but I sure like this one! As far as the TL vs. the Mustang.....both nice cars, and if you were the baby boomer that I am (49), you'd probably be more apt to go with the Stang...... R E T R O
Old 7/17/05, 04:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

My friend has a TL which I drove. Its an excellent car. To me, its comparing apples and oranges. I could list alot things that are positive and/or impressed me about the TL but having fun driving it wouldn't be on the list. IMO it comes down to what will make YOU happy,
Old 7/17/05, 07:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Thank you all for your feedback!

UPDATE: Trading in my RSX-S + Handing in S2000 off lease for a Acura MDX...... For my wife! I love the TL w/ the navi, but I think i'm going to hold off for a bit with this. I'm going to rock our 3rd car - 97 cirrus for the time being - still have my 06 on hold, but won't see it anytime soon at my current dealer.

Outside shot i just lease the TL - but i think i'm going to wait and think it out! Maybe just fly to FLA in OCT and buy a 06!
Old 7/17/05, 09:32 PM

Hey Kyle,
Just ended two Acura leases about four months ago. Had an '02 RSX type-S and an '02 CL (my wifes car). LOVED my Acuras! REALLY LOVE my Mustang GT!!!

I'm in sales too, so my best answer to your question would be to buy the Mustang AND a used Acura TL (about $18,000) and enjoy best of both worlds! Honda/ Acura makes a wonderful car, but the Mustang really feels better to the soul. After a long day dealing with those clients, there is nothing better than driving off in a GT!

Good luck on your quest for the best car!

-andreas
Old 7/17/05, 10:10 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems to me that if your wife is getting an MDX, then can't you have the best of both worlds? The MDX will give you all the amenities of the TL, while you get the Mustang. I'm sure that if you needed to take clients out on a given day your wife would be happy to "tough it out" in a new Mustang GT while you used the MDX!

TL is a nice car, no doubt, with good solid power delivery (270 horses I think). I've driven it and thought the torque steer was bad, however, especially when accelerating in a corner.

Quick Reply: May Ditch Order For Acura TL