2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May Ditch Order For Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 7/15/05, 07:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I made the mistake of driving a TL yesterday and love it! I ordered my stang as a 05 in Feb - got bumped - and still waiting for my 06 DORA. The owner of the dealership is being a DI#K about putting customer orders in - looks like they want some on their lot to sell first!

Went to another local dealer (WAYNE FORD, WAYNE NJ) and those clowns pretty much tossed me out b/c they would only talk 2K OVER MSRP.

Sorry - but NO car is worth that - thinking about getting a loaded TL (yes, I know they are more $). I'm 29 and in sales so the TL would fit me well.

I love the new GT but not sure it really makes sence for me Thanks FORD for really messing this up you clowns!

Signed,

A confused forum member!
Old 7/15/05, 07:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

I had a 2001 CL S-type. It was a great car, but it does not compare to my MGT. Torque steer out the wazzou (prolly even more w/ the additional 10 horses) and no low-end grunt. They are fast, but not off the line! I understand that is not the only consideration, as far as comfort and ammenities, I'm sure the Acura wins.

Anyway, good luck, the sad thing is how long you've waited w/ no car, I hope Ford reads here and realizes they could be selling even more Mustangs. And the fact that dealers are still trying to rape people over MSRP boggles my mind!
Old 7/15/05, 07:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

If you want a new car NOW and like the Acura, go for it. I'm sure it's nice.

It's a whole different world from a Mustang GT though. You'll never see a magazine comparison test between a Mustang GT and Acura TL, because you can't even compare them. If you want performance, torque, and attitude, you get the Mustang. If you want a more refined car with the latest high-tech gadgets, that blends in better with the rest of the traffic, then the Acura is the way to go.

But if you're willing to spend the couple thousand extra for the TL, then why not spend the same money on a new GT? I mean, if both cars were the same price, the thought of taking the TL would never even briefly cross my mind. But that's just me.
Old 7/15/05, 07:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by wjones14@July 15, 2005, 8:30 AM
If you want a new car NOW and like the Acura, go for it. I'm sure it's nice.

It's a whole different world from a Mustang GT though. You'll never see a magazine comparison test between a Mustang GT and Acura TL, because you can't even compare them. If you want performance, torque, and attitude, you get the Mustang. If you want a more refined car with the latest high-tech gadgets, that blends in better with the rest of the traffic, then the Acura is the way to go.

But if you're willing to spend the couple thousand extra for the TL, then why not spend the same money on a new GT? I mean, if both cars were the same price, the thought of taking the TL would never even briefly cross my mind. But that's just me.

I just can't justify paying over MSRP for ANY car! I love the stang and will crush me every time I see one drive by! The TL is another ball game - I'm in sales - take clients out for lunch, married with kids in the future (wife getting a MDX though) so the TL makes more sence.

I had a 97 C5 Vette for 5 years and it was a blast - nothing like a V8. Plus, not sure if the stang would be a let down after the C5 too!
Old 7/15/05, 07:33 AM
Bullitt Member

If you're seriously looking at the TL, go drive an Infiniti G35 sedan. Same power as the TL, but better looking, a little roomier and its rear wheel drive so you can have fun with it.

Seriously, I like Acura, but I would have to go with the G35.
Old 7/15/05, 07:41 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Flyinlow@July 15, 2005, 6:36 AM
If you're seriously looking at the TL, go drive an Infiniti G35 sedan. Same power as the TL, but better looking, a little roomier and its rear wheel drive so you can have fun with it.

I was just thinking the same thing... and don't they have an all-wheel drive version as well... that might be nice during the winter. OR I'm sure they cost more but if you can afford it check out the new M35.
Old 7/15/05, 07:46 AM

Yeah, the supply & demand thing for the Stang really stinks now. If you are in sales you probably don't want a 2-door car anyway. If a 2-door is a possibility, go ahead and test drive the 04/05 GTO, they are a blast, and can be had near $23K used from Carmax (couple grand less from private party).
Old 7/15/05, 07:51 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by KBONSIG@July 15, 2005, 7:07 AM
I made the mistake of driving a TL yesterday and love it! I ordered my stang as a 05 in Feb - got bumped - and still waiting for my 06 DORA. The owner of the dealership is being a DI#K about putting customer orders in - looks like they want some on their lot to sell first!

Went to another local dealer (WAYNE FORD, WAYNE NJ) and those clowns pretty much tossed me out b/c they would only talk 2K OVER MSRP.

Sorry - but NO car is worth that - thinking about getting a loaded TL (yes, I know they are more $). I'm 29 and in sales so the TL would fit me well.

I love the new GT but not sure it really makes sence for me Thanks FORD for really messing this up you clowns!

Signed,

A confused forum member!
I see you ordered the 64E wheels on the '06. This is the reason your order has not been scheduled as they are on indefinate hold. Your dealer should have told you, it is not Ford's fault.

If you want a car quick, i have an 06 GT Black Vert that the customer cancelld his order. Car is scheduled for 8/8. PM me if interested for special TMS pricing.

Being a long time Ford salesperson with blue blood, I would never buy a japanese Car, period. That's just me.
Old 7/15/05, 08:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

I remember back in '03 or '04 when Motor Trend compared a Dodge Stratus to a Mustang GT. A couple issues later came a bunch of reader letters to the magazine about the article. One in particular stood out. The reader questioned doing the comparison in the first place, suggesting that most people in interested in a Mustang GT wouldn't even know what a Dodge Stratus was!

I think that may be the case here in this forum - at least it is for me. I am totally ignorant about the Acura TL. To me it just blends in with all the other cookie-cutter styles on the road. Like I said before, considering it costs $30K or so, I'm sure it's a nice car, so no offense. If it makes sense for you, that's all that counts.

I'm with FlyinLow though - the G35 has it all over the TL in my book. A G35 parks next to me every day at work, and that is a nice looking car that is also impressive as far as taking clients to lunch etc. Plus it's much closer to the GT in performance than the TL with the RWD.
Old 7/15/05, 08:16 AM
Cobra Member

==I'm in sales - take clients out for lunch, married with kids in the future (wife getting a MDX though) so the TL makes more sence.==

What do you think your clients will be more impressed with, a ride in an Acura or in a GT? Even the most stuffed shirt executive has a teenage kid somewhere inside that shell that is dying for a ride in a muscle car. Get the Acura and be just like every other yuppie salesman, or get the Mustang and be remembered!
Old 7/15/05, 08:38 AM
Bullitt Member

QUOTE: "I think that may be the case here in this forum - at least it is for me. I am totally ignorant about the Acura TL. To me it just blends in with all the other cookie-cutter styles on the road."

I have to think that in 3 years of production, you will see just as many Mustangs on the road as TL's. I'm a fan of the GT - but I've got some thinking to do about this. I do alot of driving and in the winter (if I get the stang) my car is a 97 Cirrus that smells like dead bodies with the A/C on. Something to think about - plus the fact I would have 2 insurances to pay - if I get the TL i'll dump the cirrus.

A black TL with 18's would be pretty nice.
Old 7/15/05, 09:07 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by ISELLFORD@July 15, 2005, 6:54 AM
I see you ordered the 64E wheels on the '06. This is the reason your order has not been scheduled as they are on indefinate hold. Your dealer should have told you, it is not Ford's fault.

If you want a car quick, i have an 06 GT Black Vert that the customer cancelld his order. Car is scheduled for 8/8. PM me if interested for special TMS pricing.

Being a long time Ford salesperson with blue blood, I would never buy a japanese Car, period. That's just me.
Ed - 64E's aren't on hold.. right? or did this change back again. I have 64E's on my order and I have a build week of 8/1. You mean 64W's right? Plus KBONSIG may not have updated his sig yet... he may have 64E's on order which are now bullits. Let me know if I'm wrong. Thanks.
Old 7/15/05, 09:55 AM

Do a search on the board. There was a thread not too long ago about a dealer in Nyack would would accept X-Plan no problem. Actually here it is: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=25567
Old 7/15/05, 10:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

FYI - I don't buy from salesmen that don't drive American cars. That might be just me.
Old 7/15/05, 10:18 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Flyinlow@July 15, 2005, 7:36 AM

Wow always thought the G35s were sharp - didn't know they were RWD though!
Old 7/15/05, 10:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by KBONSIG@July 15, 2005, 9:41 AM
QUOTE: "I think that may be the case here in this forum - at least it is for me. I am totally ignorant about the Acura TL. To me it just blends in with all the other cookie-cutter styles on the road."

I have to think that in 3 years of production, you will see just as many Mustangs on the road as TL's. I'm a fan of the GT - but I've got some thinking to do about this. I do alot of driving and in the winter (if I get the stang) my car is a 97 Cirrus that smells like dead bodies with the A/C on. Something to think about - plus the fact I would have 2 insurances to pay - if I get the TL i'll dump the cirrus.

A black TL with 18's would be pretty nice.
I wasn't really talking about the number of Mustangs you'd see on the road vs TLs. I see a ton more Mustangs on the road now than TLs, but that's because they have a unique design that stands out, while the TL blends in and goes unnoticed. That's my point.

If you do a lot of winter driving, then the Mustang is not a great choice. I've driven a Mustang GT in Connecticut for the last 13 years, and before that, I had a Z28 for 8 years, so I know about driving RWD muscle cars in snow. The '05 GT should be a lot better than previous models because of the longer wheelbase and improved front/rear balance, but still there's more weight in the front than over the drive wheels, so it's not going to get traction like a FWD. Before I get flamed, I'm not saying a Mustang GT can't be driven in snow, because I know it can and I do it every year. But, it's not the best car in the snow, and stopping on an incline in the snow can be a problem trying to get started again.
Old 7/15/05, 10:56 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 06GT4me@July 15, 2005, 9:10 AM
Ed - 64E's aren't on hold.. right? or did this change back again. I have 64E's on my order and I have a build week of 8/1. You mean 64W's right? Plus KBONSIG may not have updated his sig yet... he may have 64E's on order which are now bullits. Let me know if I'm wrong. Thanks.

OOPS! That's what I get for teying to do 30 things at once. 64W's are on hold!
Old 7/15/05, 11:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The TL is a nice car, I have considered buying one myself. But right now I want a mean, powerful car, not a super-refined car. That's just where I am at this point in my life.

Of course, if I could afford both, I would probably get both. Wait, actually, if I could afford both, I'd probably buy a used Viper GTS
Old 7/15/05, 11:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by MustangDan@July 15, 2005, 11:15 AM
FYI - I don't buy from salesmen that don't drive American cars. That might be just me.

Interesting - I don't swap out steering wheels for "the friendly non-leather one" but that could be just me.
Old 7/15/05, 11:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

I test drove a TL and it is a very nice car. IMO it is better looking than the G35, and has a great interior. The main drawback IMO, is the fact that it is FWD and has lots of torque steer. It's a totally different car than the Mustang GT, but personally I could see myself driving one if I didn't have my '05 GT. Good luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: May Ditch Order For Acura TL