2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Matter of opinion I know, BUT, which do you pick?

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/05, 02:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I need info on the loudest and deepest sounding exhaust available?
Not for me, but a neighbor who has the '05 mustang GT. He said someone told him BORLA for sure, but I said SLP Loud Mouths or Magnaflow?

So............anyone want to put in the 2 cents? He wants LOUD and DEEP sounding..........thanks!!

(I told him , I would get answers here on my favorite site, and he said "oh, we shall see").so prove me right!!
Old 8/1/05, 02:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I pick flowmasters, but again, that's just my opinion
Old 8/1/05, 02:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Long tube headers, off-road H pipe, SLP loudmouths... I don't know what brands to look for with the headers or midpipe though.
Old 8/1/05, 03:02 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Borla.
Old 8/1/05, 03:03 PM

I have the SLP axle back and they are loud and deep (sounds kinky)
Everyone tells me is sounds like a mustang should now
Old 8/1/05, 03:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I just could not help this, but:

Have him take a hacksaw to the exhaust right before the cat converter(s). That will definitely be the loudest
Old 8/1/05, 03:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Or have him get headers that point straight up out the hood.
Old 8/1/05, 03:51 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
I had Flowmasters on a '02 GT and '03 Mach 1. I figured the Mach 1 withs 32V might be different but both sounded like a truck and the drone was hidious. Magnaflow on a '03 Mach 1 didn't make a much difference from the stock exhaust.
Old 8/1/05, 04:07 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@August 1, 2005, 5:05 PM
Borla.
I agree. BORLA! I have heard many of the 05 exhausts....... Nothing is as deep AND loud as borla. Many are loud, but I haven't come across as system that is as DEEP and THROATY as Borla.

Not that these systems don't sound good (many here have awesome sounding setups) but looking at his criteria:

Compared to Borla.......

SLP is loud but not as deep.
Bassani isn't as loud or deep.
Magnaflow isn't as loud.
Magnapacks.....haven't heard them.
Flows aren't as deep and likely aren't as loud (haven't heard in person, only a clip)
Old 8/1/05, 04:12 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

the loudest deepest sound is to just take the mufflers off, it will echo under the car and be amplified, but then the pipes will start top bang around as you drive and thats bad, and it looks dumb with no pipes, so I went to a muffler shop and had them bend me some pipe to replace the mufflers, they used the stock hangers and I got a 4" cross cut Bullitt tip w/ a rolled lip and looks and sounds awesome, I've heard the SLPs and for some reason they are not as loud and nice as the way I went....it only cost me $250 and that was with the install and the nice tip.....if you want bad **** add headers, then xpipe w/ hiflow or no cats, and an intake and that would be the loudest
Old 8/1/05, 04:13 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

by the way I also have an intake and headers on mine and it is fricken awesome!!!!!
Old 8/2/05, 06:12 AM
Banned

According to MM&FF Mag this month, they choose the FLowmasters as the deepest and loudest. Allthough SLP and BORLA were not in the testing.

So........
Old 8/2/05, 06:33 AM
Bullitt Member

The SLP Loudmouth is basically a muffler delete package that you can install in your driveway.

I have heard the magna's and they are not much more than stock.

The flowmasters are good but I like the SLP's better.

I haven't heard the Borla's

My input...please send paypal payment of $.02

Jay
Old 8/2/05, 07:12 AM
Bullitt Member

I just installed by slp loudmouths today and I can say they are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe how sweet it sounded. I thought the 4min vid of it in the exhaust thread sounded awesome but in person it's totally amazing! deep...loud..mean..my neighbor who helped me put them on has a corvette and he said it sounded mean as heck.
Old 8/2/05, 08:55 AM
Bullitt Member

The exhaust on my '66 shakes the ground (302 motor), I have the following:

stock manifolds
stock H-pipe
stock pipe
dual Flowmaster 40 series
angle cut chrome bell tips

Thing is... it can be louder. I'd like to bump the pipe diameter and add some headers and an X pipe. If you went with this arrangement and took out the cats, I'd say you'd have the BEST sound. There may be some that can be louder, but NOTHING sounds like flowmasters. my whole car SHAKES (and not just because of the cam LOL)!

I would never put anything but flows on my V8 cars, but that's just because I love the sound. You could also recommend a different series. They make a racing series. I can't remember if it's the 30 or the 50 series now.

Flows are the best, and if you mate that up with some other goodies like the X pipe, you will never want another sound. It's perfect. Everything else just sounds like it gurgles to me. Don't care for it. That's my $.02 though. Others will say differently. That's from the mouth of a classic owner (and my 05 V6 - keeping stock exhaust because I want it quiet). You don't do classics unless you do Flowmaster. That's for a reason!
Old 8/2/05, 09:18 AM
Banned

Thanks everyone. Where can I find the sound clips?
Thanks

Are the SLP approved for all states? What about inspection time? What to the tips look like, or do you add your own?

Thanks
Old 8/2/05, 09:19 AM
Banned

Does it matter in sound if you have an auto or manual? My neighbor has the auto also....
Old 8/2/05, 09:26 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love my magnapaks. They are loud but definately not the loudest. I'd say SLP would be the loudest, after all, they really are just a straight pipe.
Old 8/2/05, 09:27 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by PonyGirl@August 2, 2005, 9:21 AM
Thanks everyone. Where can I find the sound clips?
Thanks

Are the SLP approved for all states? What about inspection time? What to the tips look like, or do you add your own?

Thanks
Not sure about the states on this one but I know SLP's are straight pipes and would fail any emission test in Canada, so I am sure california would hate them.
Old 8/2/05, 09:29 AM
Bullitt Member

The most awsome sound (I think) would be to place a set of SuperTrapps on that bad boy... then you can play with the number of diffuser disks and put the torque band right were you want it... I've got these on my 89 LX sport 5.0... best darn sounding car around.... really nice burble... I went with the Flowmasters on the 05 due to cost/sound and overall bang for the buck... they're hard to beat in the value for the dollar catagory....

Quick Reply: Matter of opinion I know, BUT, which do you pick?