Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=100907
Old 10/3/04, 11:51 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally posted by dave 02 gt@October 3, 2004, 11:28 PM
I bet this chick drives a Lexus RX330 (standard issue for upper-class YUPpy suburban housewives) or Mercedes M-Class (as per American Beauty, need I say more?).

More "soft-touch materials" in the interior?

More "jewelry" on the front fascia (read the article, I'm not making this up!)?

So, now that we have a review from someone who DOESN'T get it, read the latest MotorWeek and read a review written from someone who DOES get it!
Old 10/3/04, 11:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by grabbergreen+October 3, 2004, 11:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (grabbergreen @ October 3, 2004, 11:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dave 02 gt@October 3, 2004, 11:28 PM
I bet this chick drives a Lexus RX330 (standard issue for upper-class YUPpy suburban housewives) or Mercedes M-Class (as per American Beauty, need I say more?).

More "soft-touch materials" in the interior?

More "jewelry" on the front fascia (read the article, I'm not making this up!)?

So, now that we have a review from someone who DOESN'T get it, read the latest MotorWeek and read a review written from someone who DOES get it! [/b][/quote]
wtf, she must drive a m3

We can do without, however, the "industry’s first available color-configurable instrument cluster." Adjusting it takes far too long with too many pushes of the buttons. Perhaps we wouldn’t mind if it used a simple dial.

Pretty as it is, there’s not much of a power or performance story here. In a lot of ways the 2005 picks up right where the current car leaves off, only now there is more of it: The Mustang has grown in every dimension, with a few extra horses tossed in to more than offset the weight gain. Now on a 5.8-inch-longer wheelbase, overall length grows by 4.8 inches compared
with the 2004 model. It stands 2.3 inches taller, with a 0.8-inch-wider body carrying a 2.4-inch-wider track. All that extra sheetmetal translates into more heft at the curb, 61 pounds in the V6 (to 3351) and 136 in the GT (to 3483). Despite that, the GT’s power-to-weight improves to 11.61 pounds per horsepower vs. the current car’s 12.87.
Old 10/4/04, 12:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
gotta love a 350z fan. Interior in the Z is BY FAR cheaper then the mustangs, heck the Scions are better quality. Z is probably among the lowest on interior quality of any car you can buy over 20k, I have yet to see anything new that is worse, except Altima. Somehow its not brought up either that Z is only a little v6 for power, with nowhere to go with modifications for any reasonable ammount of money. Where is the complaint about that, or that most likely the 'stang will beat it around a track circut stock for stock?? What a moron. Then again, its hard to not make judgements about males who like the newest Fairlady Z. :gay: It is definately a chick car. If you equate what the Z offers, it should cost about 22k well equipped. Ive driven a few Z's now, and its numbers for hp/torque are not that easy to tap, if you are not 100% to have a controled perfect acelleration run a Mustang will destroy it at a light even with a so-so driver because the power is so easy to tap. Why do they let mediocre at best drivers do auto tests anyway? She should stick to reviewing Minis and Scions.

Lets see a z do this:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/images/2005Mustang.wmv
Old 10/4/04, 12:14 AM
Team Mustang Source

"Pretty as it is, there’s not much of a power or performance story here."

Talk about picking the wrong person to write an article. :scratch:
Old 10/4/04, 12:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

...it falls short of the robust performance of the 350Z
???

'05 Mustang = V8 / 0-60, 4.8-4.9 (est)
350Z = V6 / 0-60, 5.4

Apparently, Natalie doesn't know the meaning of the word "robust," though I'd be happy to show her.

Inside, with so much right going on, we find it disappointing that Ford cheaped out on details. Rap just about any surface and you’ll bruise your knuckles; pull on the steering column stalks and you’ll fear that they’ll break. The door-mounted speaker covers won’t likely survive long, either: They’re positioned exactly where you want to push the door open with your foot. Most of the finishes do look acceptable—we’ve seen far worse graining, some in "better" cars. We’d suggest a little soft-touch material would go a long way, especially toward imparting a quality of craftsmanship and a respect for the owner’s hard-earned cash.
This, however, does seem to be a recurring complaint.

Yesterday, I had a good look at the interior of a new F-150. I was stymied at the cheap quality of the plastic. Actually, "cheap" isn't even the word. Flimsy would be more appropriate. I tapped the top of the dash in front of the steering wheel and practically went into shock at what I heard and felt. COMPLETELY HOLLOW, as if the plastic were only 2 mm thick and there were NOTHING underneath!! And it was hard. How long before brittle plastic like that succumbs to the heavy UV exposure we get in the Northern Hemisphere and begins to crack, I wonder?

The stereo and HVAC controls (which are the same ones as in the new Mustang) were similarly crudy. The volume **** on the stereo was so loose it must have travelled back and forth a good 10 mm either way, and felt like I could have just pulled it straight out. The HVAC dials I could practically spin around with one finger. No heavy detented positions at all. And plastic that felt thinner and harder than the plastic caps on pop bottles! Sorry, that's not automotive grade plastic...not in the 21st century, at least.

What gives Ford...?
Old 10/4/04, 12:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Robert@October 4, 2004, 1:40 AM

Yesterday, I had a good look at the interior of a new F-150. I was stymied at the cheap quality of the plastic. Actually, "cheap" isn't even the word. Flimsy would be more appropriate. I tapped the top of the dash in front of the steering wheel and practically went into shock at what I heard and felt. COMPLETELY HOLLOW, as if the plastic were only 2 mm thick and there were NOTHING underneath!! And it was hard. How long before brittle plastic like that succumbs to the heavy UV exposure we get in the Northern Hemisphere and begins to crack, I wonder?

The stereo and HVAC controls (which are the same ones as in the new Mustang) were similarly crudy. The volume **** on the stereo was so loose it must have travelled back and forth a good 10 mm either way, and felt like I could have just pulled it straight out. The HVAC dials I could practically spin around with one finger. No heavy detented positions at all. And plastic that felt thinner and harder than the plastic caps on pop bottles! Sorry, that's not automotive grade plastic...not in the 21st century, at least.

What gives Ford...?
You've GOT to be kidding. No truck on the planet under 50k stacks up against it. Wanna see junk, look at a Sequoia/Tundra, or the worst of them all, Armada/Titan, it makes a Slade look decent inside. The funny thing is, the next quietest ride $ wise you can purchase is Mercedes S class(its a perfect db tie). Everything cheaper is noisier.
Old 10/4/04, 12:59 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by kevinb120@October 4, 2004, 12:06 AM
gotta love a 350z fan. Interior in the Z is BY FAR cheaper then the mustangs, heck the Scions are better quality.
Erm... I wouldn't knock the interiors of Scions... that's their primary selling point. The Scion tC I test-drove had a better interior than any Camry, Accord, Altima, or Galant I've ever been in. Truely top-notch for a sub-$17K car...

You'd have to look at Acura and up to see anything better...
Old 10/4/04, 01:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by kevinb120@October 4, 2004, 12:45 AM
You've GOT to be kidding.
Did I sound like I was kidding?

I described what it was like in some detail, I believe.

Your devotion to all things Ford is admirable, but somewhat misguided. I don't doubt the F-150 is a great truck in other ways, but when so little attention is made to materials choice where people are going to see it, it concerns me that maybe they've cut corners where people don't see it, too.

Many are reporting the same experience with materials choice in the new Mustang - I hardly think it's mass hallucination. :nono:

Also, I wasn't talking about ride quietness - I was talking about the plastic used on the dash, console, and center stack controls. And it's definitely superior on the Sequoia/Tundra.
Old 10/4/04, 03:12 AM
V6 Member

For what you get for the price in the new Mustang, far exceeds anything eles you can get in that price range.

I was looking at the all new verts for 05. I do like a lot of them, like this chick from Auto week says " there are a lot of cars to satisfy an itch". But the Boxster and BMW M3 are twice the price!

So Natalie some words of "ADVICE": If for some reason Auto week lets you do the review next year, on the New v-6 Mustang vert. Thye one I will be buying for around 26k loaded. Try to compare it to another vert in the 26k range, like the VW Beetle!

THEN YOU CAN TALK ABOUT THE USE OF CHEAP PLASTIC!

Because from who ever I talk to so far that has seen the new Mustang, says the new car is a jaw dropper inside out! Plastic and all!

P.S. After reading your silly review. I have to wonder who you must be related to, to get a job reviewing cars? Maybe you should be reviewing womens fashions. Then you can talk about the use of jewelry to accessorize. :crazy:
Old 10/4/04, 04:05 AM
Bullitt Member

stango63,

good point, and exactly one that deserves stressing. The ´05 is a BARGAIN considering that you actually get a touring (almost) for under $30K. For that price, at least I expect some details to be cheaper.

As for the Beemer comparisons, I like to compare a GT to a 330Ci rather than an M3. Because, IMHO, the stang isn't really a performance machine only like the M3. Also, the GT population will outgrow the M3 before this year comes to an end.

The 330Ci compared to a GT is slower, heavier (almost 300 lbs) and with lots less of torque and bhp. And over $10K more expensive even if I do have to pay closer to $50K for a new Stang over here. What do you get for that? Better interior finish and better cornering? That's a trade-off that I'm willing to take.

sorry if it's offtopic, my first post here so it'll take a while before I find my way around in here.
Old 10/4/04, 05:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Quote from the article:

"The door-mounted speaker covers won’t likely survive long, either: They’re positioned exactly where you want to push the door open with your foot. "

I have to say I have seen and read a lot about cars I my day but never, I mean never have I seen or heard of anyone pushing a car door open with your foot! I'm at a complete loss for words . . .

The Boss Hog
Old 10/4/04, 06:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by The Boss Hog@October 4, 2004, 5:48 AM
Quote from the article:

"The door-mounted speaker covers won’t likely survive long, either: They’re positioned exactly where you want to push the door open with your foot. "

I have to say I have seen and read a lot about cars I my day but never, I mean never have I seen or heard of anyone pushing a car door open with your foot! I'm at a complete loss for words . . .

The Boss Hog
Lazy people that dont care about what they drive would do it! :scratch:
Old 10/4/04, 06:07 AM
Bullitt Member

This woman is about as consistant as John Kerry in her writing:

Pretty as it is, there’s not much of a power or performance story here.
Yet she says
On the track the Mustang definitely feels livelier than the outgoing model, with a satisfying throttle-driven rear-drive feel. And you can have a ton of fun at the track
What is it Ms Neff, performance or no performance? If there was not much of a performance story here, you could not have as much fun as you describe having on the track.

Too many inconsistant comments in this article to really take it with any meaning. Next.
Old 10/4/04, 06:07 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Robert+October 4, 2004, 1:10 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robert @ October 4, 2004, 1:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kevinb120@October 4, 2004, 12:45 AM
You've GOT to be kidding.
Did I sound like I was kidding?

I described what it was like in some detail, I believe.

Your devotion to all things Ford is admirable, but somewhat misguided. I don't doubt the F-150 is a great truck in other ways, but when so little attention is made to materials choice where people are going to see it, it concerns me that maybe they've cut corners where people don't see it, too.

Many are reporting the same experience with materials choice in the new Mustang - I hardly think it's mass hallucination. :nono:

Also, I wasn't talking about ride quietness - I was talking about the plastic used on the dash, console, and center stack controls. And it's definitely superior on the Sequoia/Tundra. [/b][/quote]
I find that every manufacure uses cheap plastic interior . I have owned Hondas that are cheap fealing. I have a co-worker who just bought a Titan and it to has cheap plastic interiors. He has taken it to the repair shop to correct some dash noises due to cheap plastic parts.
I have seen the new mustang and I dont think that the interior is to bad. I have seen many that are worse.
Old 10/4/04, 06:10 AM
GT Member

Quote from the article:

The Boss Hog
I agree what was she thinking? :bang: I have had many cars and trucks and have never found myself using my foot to open the door. I believe that is what the door handle is for, call me crazy but that is how I open the door.
Old 10/4/04, 06:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

I really didn't think that the article was all that negative. I have a feeling some of her complaints were valid, if not all of them. It left a positive impression of the vehicle overall.

Jason
Old 10/4/04, 06:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Quote from the article:

The Boss Hog
By the way, the speakers are very similar to those in the $250, 000 Vanquish. Go figure on a car costing 10x more.
Old 10/4/04, 06:19 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just sent her a nice email, saying that its write-ups like hers are the reason I let my subsrciption lapse after 12 years.
Old 10/4/04, 08:01 AM
V6 Member

Quote from the article:

The Boss Hog
That kind of explains how I get so many door dings on my cars...people doing stupid stuff like that!

"Pull the handle, kick the door open...oops, nailed that other car...oh well, mine's fine"

Quick Reply: Mane Street USA: The original Pony Car gallops int