2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Looking at an 07 GT. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 7/20/13, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at an 07 GT. Thoughts?

You can read a little backstory here. I was initially thinking my budget was going to be around 12k therefore looking at 03/04 GTs but after looking at finances and visiting credit union I can realistically go up to about 15-16k if I want to. From what I've been told in some other threads it might be a decent idea to avoid 05s with it being first year of redesign and what not. I found this 1 owner 58k mile 07 GT deluxe (base - cloth no shaker, etc).

Took it for a test drive and

Let's just say I enjoyed it. Stomped a few times and WOWza. Seems to be stock although I feel like it pulled pretty quickly, more quickly than an 05 I test drove a year or two ago (although that could just be foggy memory). Some minor issues- several rock chips, small scratches. One spot on edge of hood where paint is chipped. Only has 1 key, no remotes. Driver's side power lock switch doesn't work. Dealer has it at 15490, been on the lot about a month per carfax. Was told they don't have much room on it, they dropped price to 15215 *woo*. After trade in allowance and fees, TTL it should come to about $15.8 if my math is right. Looking at Autotrader that seems to be a pretty good deal, but I'd been hoping to get to $15k. Any thoughts?

Also, on the 07s I've seen that some suspension components can be a weak point. Any specifics to look for?

Clear coat imperfections/rock chips

Hood scratches (pretty minor IMO)

Edge of hood with paint chipped, drivers side near windshield

Small roof dent, almost didn't see it until leaving. Thinks his PDR guy can get it no trouble

Both door cards peeling slightly. Easy to glue back down?

Bolster wear - seems minimal

Some paint peel on trunk emblem

Another chip over passenger fender

Front passenger hood near headlight

Obviously not expecting a new car at this price. Just want to make sure I'm not overlooking any glaring red flags.

Thanks!
Old 7/20/13, 09:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
These are my thoughts;

Those pictures are glaring red flags of an uncared for car in my opinion.

There are lots of well cared for mustangs out there as lots are never winter driven. You just have to be patient and wait for the right one. If your worried of the earlier models I'd start with the 07+. Mustangs should start showing up plentiful now as fall approaches, sellers don't want to hold over the winter.

It's the little things that add up in futures cost that may make a quality car a bit more expensive if they don't need replacing. Like new tires, both ignition keys {expensive to cut and program}, remote key fobs, newer brakes, body work and paint, etc. These are some reasons I'd personally stay away from the car your showing pics of.
Old 7/20/13, 10:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Looks like used as a DD and not overly carefuly .... but it has a lot of promise (as long as they fix the dent well enough).... and you will have to get a dealership cut and program at least one more key ....after that, you can program more if you get blanks and have cut to match. I recently bought some Ebay and had cut at Ford dealer (free, the parts lady is a GF of my buddy) .... key blanks about $10 each ($34 at dealer for FoMoCo ones).

Remotes .... you likely need the dealer to get you the first one setup.

58K, likely on second set of tires .... how's wear? Date codes match? A good way to judge life car has seen, but not an absolute.

Those splotches .... just needs wash and polish I rekon? No 6-7 year old paint is perfect, so a few minor blemishes are easy to overlook as long as you aren't putting the car under a microscope.

I'ld replace that trunk lock surround, really would help and they can also be found not too bad price. Seats can be covered easily with nice looking covers or factory take offs on the net.

If you're buying it to keep a few years and don't mind detailing it to suit, with care ..... at only 58 K there's a lot of life left in it to be enjoyed ..... but just as likely there'll be some other ones come along for that money.
A retired buddy of mine and his wife recently picked up a one owner 2001 GT auto convert with white leather and white top (car is blue) that the original owners had only used to visit / participate in car shows ..... immaculate and only 4100iles ... and no blemishes at all. He got it for under 13K I think.

Last edited by tbear853; 7/20/13 at 10:24 PM.
Old 7/21/13, 06:53 AM

Brand new Pirelli's actually! I don't feel like it is unreasonable to ask for new keys and that dent to be fixed either. I'd be using it for a DD. 30 miles each way mostly interstate.

Were there that many troubles with the 05/06? I don't know that I'm opposed to then I just feel like I'd heard they can have done problems.

Last edited by AuD14; 7/21/13 at 06:57 AM.
Old 7/21/13, 07:34 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,056 Likes on 661 Posts
My feelings are very similar to Lime GT. An uncared for car most likely with probably very little maintenance done over it's life. I avoid cars like this unless you can get them very cheap to allow for needed repairs, which you know are coming down the road. This Mustang is not being sold for cheap, despite the typical and obvious sales pitch.
If $15,000 is stretching your budget, do it for a car that is worth that hard earned money, not buying someone else's throwaway. Don't settle! Be patient looking for a sweet ride, and you may need to travel to get the right car. They aren't always in the same zip code, sometimes not even in the same state. This is serious money. Think about it! Don't worry about model years unless it is a preference of yours. Get what appeals to you. A well maintained, loved Mustang will be fine no matter what model year. Best of luck with your search!
Old 7/21/13, 07:45 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I'd kick on a few extra bucks and find a used 11-13 V6. Gas is getting too expensive and you want peace of mind as a DD.

That car was neglected. I've seen enough to recognize it.
Old 7/21/13, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
I'd kick on a few extra bucks and find a used 11-13 V6. Gas is getting too expensive and you want peace of mind as a DD.

That car was neglected. I've seen enough to recognize it.
Not to compare but I've seen well maintained supercharged 01-04 Saleens with 24k or so sell for 17-19k. Couple bucks more but twice the fun and styling. Just ideas btw.
Old 7/21/13, 07:50 AM

Sounds like I should keep looking. Definitely got a huge rush during the test drive because racecar but knew I needed to exhibit enough self control to not sign anything then and there and really think things over. The 11+ V6 have the 300hp and 6MT correct? Definitely not a bad combination.
Old 7/21/13, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Getportfolio

Not to compare but I've seen well maintained supercharged 01-04 Saleens with 24k or so sell for 17-19k. Couple bucks more but twice the fun and styling. Just ideas btw.
Definitely not a bad idea. Wife likes S197 over new edge but if I found the right Mach 1 nearby I'd be all over it.

Termis are still more around 18-20 correct? And I figure more difficult to find unmolested.
Old 7/21/13, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by AuD14
Sounds like I should keep looking. Definitely got a huge rush during the test drive because racecar but knew I needed to exhibit enough self control to not sign anything then and there and really think things over. The 11+ V6 have the 300hp and 6MT correct? Definitely not a bad combination.
Yes and the V6s are quite fun and economical. they tune well for even more power. Hope I didn't come off the wrong way. My point was that you can get 07 GT like the one you saw for the same price without the neglect. It may even have some mods also... Many 05-09 owners swapped their paid off GTs for the 5.0. You just have to know where to scoop them up
Old 7/21/13, 09:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
there's tons of 05 and 06's out there that have been problem free altho I do agree stay away from the 05's just because it was the first year. I agree take a pass on the 07 you test drove, the price does seem pretty good. Where are you located?
Old 7/21/13, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
there's tons of 05 and 06's out there that have been problem free altho I do agree stay away from the 05's just because it was the first year. I agree take a pass on the 07 you test drove, the price does seem pretty good. Where are you located?
Memphis, TN
Old 7/21/13, 12:59 PM

These are a couple others I've found

08 Grabber GT about 2 hours away

07 Sterling GT in town

05 Redfire GT

Definitely like the look of the Grabber and the Sterling. Redfire is OK but not my favorite color.
Old 7/21/13, 05:57 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
if looking for price-haggling points, prior to 08, spark plugs like to bust off when changing(if they say its not a problem, have them agree to put new plugs in), all of them are suffering from blistering under the hood that eventually bleeds under the paint to the surface(bet the 'chips' you see in the back of the hood are actually this...will be big/ugly blistering underneath- the front is usually the worst, not really permanently repairable- ford messed up with these aluminum hoods, 13s are still looking bad even new.)

I wouldnt be worried much about a 05- other than keeping the cowl drains open, the seatback release levers popping off, possibly the front strut bearings (my 06 was built late 05, still on original struts) they didnt seem to have a lot of teething pains...read about a few alternators, the well-known sparkplug issues...oh yeah- look at the tierod boots- my 06 and the wifes 07 both rotted out after just about 2 yrs...minor things if you change them quick, new tierods if dirt gets in, but leaky boots= another price haggling point- or have them replace/align
Old 7/21/13, 08:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
If you live in colder climates, parts books I've looked at show revised defroster ducts in 06 and up with a build date 12/04/06. http://www.partswebsite.com/fordonli...30687&fl_id=57
Old 7/21/13, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lime GT
If you live in colder climates, parts books I've looked at show revised defroster ducts in 06 and up with a build date 12/04/06. http://www.partswebsite.com/fordonli...30687&fl_id=57
That is an interesting tidbit. Memphis doesn't get too cold on a regular basis.
Old 7/22/13, 09:55 AM
V6 Member

These are a couple others I've found

08 Grabber GT about 2 hours away

07 Sterling GT in town

05 Redfire GT

Definitely like the look of the Grabber and the Sterling. Redfire is OK but not my favorite color.
I'd be taking a close look at the GO car. I love Grabber Orange, but that's me... I used to drive a '77 Capri in a similar color (way back when). To echo what's been said above; don't settle for a flawed car. There are plenty around that were babied (like my S197s).
Old 7/22/13, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by oldlugs

I'd be taking a close look at the GO car. I love Grabber Orange, but that's me... I used to drive a '77 Capri in a similar color (way back when). To echo what's been said above; don't settle for a flawed car. There are plenty around that were babied (like my S197s).
Second your thoughts on the GO. I love bright colors. With a little tint I think it would be perfect. Hope I can find time to get over there. Next couple weekends are packed. Definitely like price. Autotrader price is lower than what you see on window. Based on Carfax looks like it's been there about 6 weeks so they seem to be dropping price. If I could get to 15.5 or 16 out the door I think I'd be business. Either the GO or the Sterling.
Old 7/22/13, 04:55 PM
V6 Member

Second your thoughts on the GO. I love bright colors. With a little tint I think it would be perfect. Hope I can find time to get over there. Next couple weekends are packed. Definitely like price. Autotrader price is lower than what you see on window. Based on Carfax looks like it's been there about 6 weeks so they seem to be dropping price. If I could get to 15.5 or 16 out the door I think I'd be business. Either the GO or the Sterling.
Another plus for the GO car, is that it's an '08. It could have the revised one-piece plug heads meaning (possibly) less trouble in the long run. You'll be able to tell by the production date; I think if it was built after 10/07, then it should be the later heads. It's also one model year newer, and you sure don't see very many GO GTs on the road. My head turns whenever I do...
Old 7/22/13, 05:47 PM

That grabber orange is too sweet. What are your thoughts about mileage? I bet you can negotiate it down due to mileage. Don't let the salesman sell you, you sell them!

Anyway, that cars a winner. Hope it works out.

P.s I lived in Memphis for 6 years. In midtown for that matter. (Yikes I know!) it never snowed once while I was there.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 7/22/13 at 05:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking at an 07 GT. Thoughts?