2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Locking lug nuts

Search this Thread

Old 2/17/10, 03:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Locking lug nuts

Be advised that the lock for the locking lug nuts is weak and will break if too tight. Had to go to my Ford dealer and get them removed. Didn`t replace but just put on regular nuts. Don`t want this happening on the road !
Old 2/17/10, 05:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
When I get a new car, the first thing I do is scrap the locking lugs. I have good insurance. I can't even imagine screwing with those things at night , along side the road in the rain.
Old 2/17/10, 06:17 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What exactly happened? First hand experience?
Old 2/17/10, 06:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always use anti seize on mine and torque it to spec no problem but did have a problem with one of the stock lugs threads just came out of it.. apro thief would have a tool like we have in the junk yard that would fit them anyhow but slows them down. A trick if you buy a car and dont have the puzzle key is just weld a bead on it then a socket can grab it.
Old 2/17/10, 06:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Katfish
What exactly happened? First hand experience?
I was removing the locking lug nut with the included tool and the tool broke, the inside of it just crumpled ! The service rep at the Ford dealer where I went to get it fixed said it was a common problem and to just put on regular lug nuts.
Old 2/17/10, 07:18 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
First thing I do is order me an extra one...
Old 2/17/10, 08:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's why I use Gorilla Lug Nuts!
Old 2/18/10, 08:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, I'm in the same boat with Art. Got new tires put on the other month and the tool broke taking off the third wheel. The guys said that the locking nuts should only be torqued to 100 ft-lb but they were closer to 150 ft/lb. I knew I shouldn't have let the ford dealer rotate my tires for me. They got the last two off by using a tool that had a really close pattern as mine and hammering it on to the locking nuts. Luckily I had the spare lugs in the car from when I put the locking ones on. I'm just leaving the regular lugs on now.
Old 2/18/10, 09:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by spike
Yup, I'm in the same boat with Art. Got new tires put on the other month and the tool broke taking off the third wheel. The guys said that the locking nuts should only be torqued to 100 ft-lb but they were closer to 150 ft/lb. I knew I shouldn't have let the ford dealer rotate my tires for me. They got the last two off by using a tool that had a really close pattern as mine and hammering it on to the locking nuts. Luckily I had the spare lugs in the car from when I put the locking ones on. I'm just leaving the regular lugs on now.
I was doing the GT brake upgrade, finally !
Old 2/18/10, 09:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Ours came with the locking lug nuts (in a bag, in the trunk). I wanted to put them on, but something held me back. Now I am glad I hesitated. If and when I decide to get custom wheels, I'll go the extra mile and buy some McGard or other aftermarket locking lug nuts.
Old 2/21/10, 11:50 AM
GT Member

are rousch lug nuts any different. I just ordered those.
Old 2/25/10, 07:29 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
I'll go the extra mile and buy some McGard or other aftermarket locking lug nuts.
The factory wheel locks are made by McGard and are the same qaulity as the aftermarket McGard locking lugs.

Usually the problem is over-tightening as people have mentioned and going to the dealer is no guarantee that they are not contibuting to the problem (case in point; I was talking to a young subaru tech that had just come from the company's tech school and had no idea that subie wheels are usually torqued to 72 ft/lbs.)
Old 2/25/10, 07:55 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mas35NYR
That's why I use Gorilla Lug Nuts!
I have those too and haven't had a problem yet. Really good lug nuts.
Old 3/2/10, 04:18 PM
Bullitt Member

JMO, but locking lug nuts are really a waste of good money. If someone wants your wheel, they will get a lug that is close to fitting, and then get a hammer and smash it till its on....then they put in the wrench and turn. Wheel off and gone. Yeah, the socket is now a waste, but most just buy the cheap ones since they know how they plan on using it.

When I bought my razors, I planned on getting locking ones too. One discussion with a mechanic friend of mine and I opted not to waste the money. Screw it, thats what insurance is for anyway.

Sorry you had the problem though.

Andretti
Old 3/2/10, 06:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

The five regular nuts cost me almost $60 no wonder Ford is making money !

Last edited by I-70 west; 7/25/11 at 11:01 PM.
Old 7/9/11, 05:20 PM
GT Member

Dad I just did the same thing when putting on my fanblades! The key broke off when I was tightening them up, first time I've ever used it. Can you get a new one at Ford?
Old 7/11/11, 02:13 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Factory locking lugs? There should be a serial number contained in the vinyl wheel lock envelop. The paper with the serial number should have the manufacturers contact info on it. Cheaper than going to the dealer if you have time to wait for the new wheel lock tool to arrive in the mail. If not, the dealer may have a master set on hand to remove the locking lugs.
Old 7/11/11, 09:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bob
Factory locking lugs? There should be a serial number contained in the vinyl wheel lock envelop. The paper with the serial number should have the manufacturers contact info on it. Cheaper than going to the dealer if you have time to wait for the new wheel lock tool to arrive in the mail. If not, the dealer may have a master set on hand to remove the locking lugs.
what he said !

though I got the Ford dealer to remove them and replaced with standard lugs
Old 7/15/11, 09:52 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
For those with broken keys, contact McGard they will send you a set of new locks, with a key at no cost, or a new key if you have the number. I had a two part key for a VW SLC Corrado. The key broke in half. McGard sent the new locks with a one piece key. I use the locks, and always do my own wheel work, with a torque wrench. Torque them to specs, drive 50 miles, loosen them and torque them again. Never lost a wheel or broke a one piece key and then I can actually get the lugs off, unlike when the gorillas at the tire store or dealer put them on.
Old 7/24/11, 09:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Nothing but standard chrome McGard lugs for me. I hate locking lugs and I'd never leave my pony in a place were I need them anyway!

Tim

Quick Reply: Locking lug nuts