2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Let's talk suspension mods - factory and aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 12/10/07, 01:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Let's talk suspension mods - factory and aftermarket

I noticed the GT500 has a factory-equipped strut tower brace, and that the 08 Bullitt is getting a derivation of the FRPP strut tower brace. I have learned that the Crossmember support brace carries a 2004 part number and was originally equipped on 05-up convertibles, the 07-up GT500, and now the 08-up Mustangs.

What other suspension parts/mods were equipped on factory S197s? Did any of them get rear shock tower braces or other parts?

I am looking at the BMR strut tower brace because it supposedly clears the 07 engine plenum cover, but i am concerned that my 07's hoodliner will rub against the BMR brace. There doesn't seem to be many STB options that clear the engine plenum cover AND the hoodliner.
Old 12/10/07, 04:58 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The GT500 carries a different upper strut bearing, the durometer of the bushings in the bearing are higher, they also recieved higher durometer bushings in the lower controls arms as well as heavyduty ball joints in the front arms (IIRC the GT500 does have a different front control arm part number). Go the the FRPP website and check out the new catalog, it details the various parts that were changed between suspensions.

I also understand that the GT500 axle housing is made of sterner stuff as well (mass neutral improvement in strength by using better materials I guess).