2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let me tell you a little gas station story.

Search this Thread

Old 8/9/05, 09:38 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a little back info, as I’ve stated before nice cars are far from a rarity in my city. I know of at least one Mclaren F1. Who knows how many there are roaming here. My friend actually knows the guy distantly. I’m to get an up close with it someday. Not much turns my head these days, with 7 series BMW, S500 and SL 500’s being rather common.

Well anyway I’m coming home; it’s about a quarter until 10 at night. I get about 15.5mpg on a good day so I’m going for my weekly or bi-weekly fill up at the gas station. Depending on if I did a lot of driving this weekend, which I did. I turn in and what do I see? I see something that actually grabs my attention.

Oh, it’s a Ferrari. Third or fourth one I’ve seen in at this gas station in the past four months or so. What makes this so different is this time I give an unusually long look at the car while I’m filling up, hoping to spark a conversation to fill my time as I fill my car.

Boy, how right I was, the owner turns to me and says something along the lines of “man they did a great job on the mustang this time around; it’s the first new mustang I’ve liked in many years. The retro idea was great, and they pulled it off well.” At this point I’m just all smiles as you can see this guy most likely knows his cars and he likes my car. Not the first time I’ve had a fan. In fact this is the third person today to comment to me about my car!

This is where it gets good folks. The Ferrari owner continues on “so couple of week ago some one came up to me and comments about the pony on the back of my car. The guy says to me “so how much was your Mustang,” to which I responded “oh about a quarter of a million,”” He once again continues by saying “The guy looked shocked and I said “it’s a Ferrari…not a Mustang.””

So there’s some genius out there confusing Mustangs for Ferraris. I laughed and we were both about to leave when I asked him which model his car was as I was unsure. He responded with simply “456,” with that he was off. And how, the engine is a V12 with 436 bhp @ 6,250 rpm. What makes it kind of even more special is it’s a 2+2 seater.

Did I ever tell you guys how much I love this car? Not only is it a great car as we all know, it’s a great a great conversational piece.

I’m also mad I didn’t ask him to trade cars for a day since he liked mine so much, you know I really bet I had a chance.

Picture of the Ferrari 456 for reference.
Old 8/9/05, 10:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Trade cars...

Nice story!
Old 8/9/05, 10:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Cool story Altoid, haven't heard from you in a while!
Old 8/9/05, 10:33 AM
V6 Member

never heard of a 2x2 ferrari :scratch: nice story
Old 8/9/05, 10:37 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Cool Story!! Nice to hear you are still enjoying your car!!
Mach 1 Member

oh my gosh....what a moron! hahaha, nice story
Bullitt Member

wow thats great. Mixing the 2 up. You really must be out of it if that happens. If you pay 30g for a mustang its not gonna like a ferrari buddy.
Old 8/9/05, 10:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Don't take this wrong, but there is a recent thread with a rumor of your demise.
Old 8/9/05, 12:57 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

nice, I think the 456s are one of the nicer looking Ferraris, not much on the power in comparison though, do you happen to know if it was a simple GT or a GT Scaglietti? those for some reason are the ones you hardly see, I think probably because only people with tons of money buy them because they are more about sophistication then they are about flash, they are Ferraris family car and usually their owners own more Ferraris, the 2+2 means they are four seaters and this is just the latest in Ferraris line to be a four seater, they have always had some model that came with four seats, bigger selling point in Europe, the previous model was the Mondial. The latest 612 Scaglietti is F-ing sick.

I think its great that we get some compliments from people that own Ferraris and Lambos and ect., I have encountered this myself it feels greet, the most common comment I get from them was "my first car was a nineteen-sixty.... mustang" I think this is why they all love it, it takes them back to fond memories of their first love with cars.

Just the other day I was heading to work from the Dalton Show in San Marcos and I cut through the back way which passes by Rancho Sante Fe and I saw a 348 Spider up ahead at the light, there was a riced out Prelude next to him and I can hear him rev and launch when the light changed smoking the Prelude, so I caught up at the next light and had my window down and shouted over to him that it was my turn, he asked what I was talking about and I replied with a "well you smoked him so its my turn to smoke you, right?" he said no that he didnt want to race, and I kept egging him about how he thought he was cool for being able to waste a ricer in his Ferrari but was too much of a wimp to race me, the light changed and we just drove away slowly, I guess he knew what he had and what I had because he would've been embarrassed I just thought it was lame that he was picking on a Prelude but wouldnt take on a true contender. Funny some of these real expensive Ferraris are at best as fast as our cars stock....lol.

As for the McClaren, I know of 2 in socal, one being in the ranch down here (the owner is a really cool guy), I would think that Nick Cage and Leno would also own one but I have not heard of anyone confirming this....I know their were only 5 Enzos in socal until Nick Cage just recently bought one, he has also recently aquired a white SLR and just bought a Ford GT from Symbolic not too long ago.
Old 8/9/05, 03:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by outdoorstom@August 9, 2005, 10:55 AM
Don't take this wrong, but there is a recent thread with a rumor of your demise.

It's the old Machiavelli strategy.
Old 8/9/05, 04:29 PM
Bullitt Member

456 GTM..the gentelmans racer...very nice car
Old 8/9/05, 05:03 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Altoid@August 9, 2005, 9:41 AM
Picture of the Ferrari 456 for reference.
That picture's actually of a 456M, which was an update to the 456 performed in 1998. They don't make the model any more - it was replaced last year by the 612 Scaglietti.
Old 8/9/05, 05:07 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by GirchyGirchy@August 9, 2005, 6:06 PM
That picture's actually of a 456M, which was an update to the 456 performed in 1998. They don't make the model any more - it was replaced last year by the 612 Scaglietti.
Gotta love a guy who drives a Pinto and a Caprice, but knows his exotics that well!
Old 8/9/05, 05:30 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@August 9, 2005, 5:10 PM
Gotta love a guy who drives a Pinto and a Caprice, but knows his exotics that well!
Let me tell you about a little thing called money....

I spend my time reading car magazines, since my car's too crappy to pimp out!
Old 8/9/05, 06:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Good story and yes it is good to see you back and yes there was a thread in which rumors were going about a couple of members who were long timers who haven't posted in a while
Old 8/9/05, 08:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Nice story! Always loved Ferraris
Looking forward to my boss putting away his Porsche 911 Turbo S once his F430 comes in, hoping for a trade during lunch
Old 8/9/05, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by GirchyGirchy@August 9, 2005, 5:06 PM

actually if you want to be picky the car in the picture is a 2001 456M GT, oh wait I just reread what you were saying, you didnt say it was a 1998 you were just saying when it changed, my bad, but hey its good to know the pic is of a 01, and like I said in my previous post the 612 Scaglietti is F-ing sick, one of my detailing clients has one well at least until he trades it for a 430 spider, man are these things fun to drive.
Old 8/10/05, 10:35 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by rrobello@August 9, 2005, 10:44 PM
actually if you want to be picky the car in the picture is a 2001 456M GT, oh wait I just reread what you were saying, you didnt say it was a 1998 you were just saying when it changed, my bad, but hey its good to know the pic is of a 01, and like I said in my previous post the 612 Scaglietti is F-ing sick, one of my detailing clients has one well at least until he trades it for a 430 spider, man are these things fun to drive.
Could be a GTA, too! We hope not, though, hehe.

I'm not sold on the 612 yet, it's kinda odd...maybe it's better in person. Nice detailing on the bodywork, that's for sure.

The 430's one of my fav exotics right now - relatively affordable for the performance. Very quick, fast, and good handling.
Old 8/10/05, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by GirchyGirchy@August 10, 2005, 10:38 AM
Could be a GTA, too! We hope not, though, hehe.

I'm not sold on the 612 yet, it's kinda odd...maybe it's better in person. Nice detailing on the bodywork, that's for sure.

The 430's one of my fav exotics right now - relatively affordable for the performance. Very quick, fast, and good handling.
I havent driven a 430 through curves yet, but it sure does fly in a straight line though, had that thing over a 100 in no time, sure is fun for a street car,

and the pic he posted is of a GT not a GTA, seen the pic before.
Old 8/10/05, 01:54 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally posted by Altoid@August 9, 2005, 6:00 PM
It's the old Machiavelli strategy.

Ah . . .the seven day theory . . .

EDIT: Sorry in advance for the poor musical reference. I know Machiavelli's startegy was for deceiving ones enemys for victory . . . .

Quick Reply: Let me tell you a little gas station story.