2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Leather vs Cloth

Old 4/1/05, 12:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I love the look of leather, however my friend (he has a 350Z) keeps trying to persuade me to order an 05 Mustang with cloth instead. What did you guys go with and why?

Here's a pro/con list that I thought of for the 2 options:

Leather
Pros: Looks luxurious, I like the feel of sitting on a dead cow, smells good, retains higher value
Cons: Gets HOT in the summer (I'm in Phoenix, AZ) and the ladies don't like to get their bums burned, eventually cracks and looks bad if not taken care of

Cloth
Pros: Doesn't let you slide around when driving fast, doesn't burn you in the hot summers, cheaper
Cons: Looks cheaper, don't like the feel as much
Old 4/1/05, 12:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

I only buy leather now after having kids. It cleans a lot better IMHO. Doesn't seem to trap dust as much either.
Old 4/1/05, 12:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

I live in Arizona also, and we have the leather. As you know, when it is a bajillion degrees here, you are going to sweat no matter what material you have. We've had both cloth and leather in our vehicles, even in Arizona I choose the leather. Thats what AC is for!
Old 4/1/05, 12:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Have you tried sitting in both seats? Before I went to dealer to order my 05, I though I wanted the upgraded seats. Once I sat in them though, I liked the feel of the cloth a lot better. They supported me better and felt a lot nicer.
Old 4/1/05, 12:50 PM
GT Member

and remember, the rear seat has no real leather on it and the fronts only have "leather seating surfaces"....
Old 4/1/05, 12:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by austexstang@April 1, 2005, 1:53 PM
and remember, the rear seat has no real leather on it and the fronts only have "leather seating surfaces"....
Where did you get this info?
Old 4/1/05, 12:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by jwede+April 1, 2005, 12:55 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jwede @ April 1, 2005, 12:55 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-austexstang@April 1, 2005, 1:53 PM
Where did you get this info?
[/b][/quote]

There was a post about it last week. If you've purchased one already, look at the sticker, it says "seating surfaces".
Old 4/1/05, 12:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

I under stand the seating surfaces, but I'm questioning what material the back seats are
Old 4/1/05, 01:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

The rear seats are vinyl... so are the backs of the front seats.
Old 4/1/05, 01:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

I like the cloth on the GT, with the running ponies. I don't like the V6 cloth as much with the "Mustang" writing on them.
Old 4/1/05, 01:20 PM
FR500 Member

I got cloth, because I really like the way it looks/feels. Plus, it costed less so I could put more into modding the car. I feel that leather doesn't support you as well either and you will slide a bit more when driving hard and taking turns. I do like leather though, but I think in a muscle car like the Mustang, cloth was the way to go for me. I guess it ultimately depends on your personal taste. If you are on the fence and can't decide between leather and cloth, think about what you want to do with the car. Are you going to end up putting in an aftermarket sterio system and add interior accessories? Do you want the car to look pretty on the inside? Or are you like me and really don't care about what the inside looks like and care more about function over formality?
Old 4/1/05, 01:24 PM
V6 Member

I second what Trampus said, but I got the opposite reaction. My last GT was cloth (1986) and I just assumed that I'd prefer that against the leather. However, I sat in a deluxe GT and just did not like the material. It honestly felt too much like plastic. I think you'll sweat as much on the cloth as the leather, if not worse. It was also slippery.

I opted for the leather (dark graphite). It'll be my first car with leather after driving for 24 years...

Rob
Old 4/1/05, 01:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

I live in Maine so I wont pretend we have the same hot weather issue as you guys with leather. However the 5 days a year when it is hot as heck up here arent an issue as someone else says because you run the AC. I have leather in 2 of my other cars and I love it. My dog rides in my wagon alot and my 2 kids and it is so easier to clean. None of them will ride in the stang tho And if Im gonna sweat on something Id rather it be leather that I can wipe clean and not have to shampoo. What would you rather sit on at home...a leather recliner or a cloth one? And on the leather seating surface comment, most furniture is that way now too. Everything your body touches is leather and the rest vinyl, is the way they explain it. Another corporate cost cutting measure.
Old 4/1/05, 01:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, I think I'm still leaning towards the leather. My current truck is leather and I like it. I plan on getting the IUP and would want my vehicle to look good inside and out.
Old 4/1/05, 01:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

The one thing I was surprised about with the leather was you couldnt get heated leather seats. I wouldnt be driving mine in the winter, as I live in Maine, but I just figured it would be an option. I have it in my F-350. My wagon doesnt. I wasnt shocked since it was a wagon, but this is a mustang darn it!
Old 4/1/05, 01:51 PM
GT Member

Well,

I was going to go with the cloth but mostly to save money, didn't feel it was worth the extra $$ but I ended up buying a car off the lot with dealer aftermarket leather seats that are a higher grade and better looking then the factory GT seats. My car is a V6 by the way. If I would have ended up ordering the car I probably would have went with the cloth. People flip when I show them my seats so I guess it was worth it...
Old 4/1/05, 01:55 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by Stangrob@April 1, 2005, 2:27 PM
I sat in a deluxe GT and just did not like the material. It honestly felt too much like plastic.

Rob
Are you sure that the plastic wrap from the factory wasn't still on the seats when you sat on it? I love the cloth. It feels great. Don't understand how you would think it feels like plastic. If anything leather would feel like plastic being colder and harder than cloth. Some leathers feel like vinyl to me, which is plastic.
Old 4/1/05, 02:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

i got leather. i was sick of cleaning the cloth to no end. trapped so much dust. goto a cloth covered car and slap the seat once. all the dust flies up into the air. its nasty. cloth is good yeah for the summer but youve got A/C. leather looks, feels, and smells better. even if it is only the seating surfaces and not throughout the car.
Old 4/1/05, 02:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Gotta get leather if you want RED, so it was easy for me.
Old 4/1/05, 02:24 PM
V6 Member

Also depends on whether you're gettin a GT or the V6. I ordered the leather on my v6, having only seen it on the GT, assumed would be of an equal quality. WRONG! GT is very nice, perforated, soft, etc. The v6 feels waxy, stiffer, and just feels like the color is gonna be rubbed off in 6 months. Felt kinda gypped, cause it costs the same to upgrade on either. Oh well, still love my girl.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leather vs Cloth