2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Leather quality

Search this Thread

Old 1/10/05, 11:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The leather in my SVTC still looks brand new. All i use is turtle wax leather care.
Old 1/10/05, 12:04 PM
Bullitt Member

You can find the lexol (neatsfoot) at Tractor Supply too. Its used on saddles. I use it on my saddle bags on my Harley too.
Old 1/10/05, 09:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by TomServo92@January 10, 2005, 9:41 AM
Try Lexol. It keeps the leather soft and pliable but doesn't leave it shiny. I've been using it for years and it works great.
Funny, I just finished an application of Lexol to my seats no more than three hours ago!!!
Old 1/10/05, 09:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Lowe!@January 10, 2005, 9:58 AM
I guess I better find something soon....treat every week?
At least the side bolsters on the driver's seat...
Old 1/10/05, 09:27 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by holderca1@January 10, 2005, 1:03 PM
I use Meguiars leather conditioner, doesn't leave any type of residue behind, doesn't make the seats shiny either.
I use the Gold Class Wipes. They really saturate the leather and you can feel the difference. Wipes are convienent as well.
Old 1/10/05, 09:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Blazing Saddles@January 10, 2005, 1:33 PM
I've never had a leather interior before. Both Meguiar's and Lexol have cleaning and conditioning wipes. Are the wipes any better than using the sprays and rags?
Not any better just more convenient.
Old 1/10/05, 09:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Redfire 05Gt+January 10, 2005, 10:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Redfire 05Gt @ January 10, 2005, 10:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by TomServo92@January 10, 2005, 9:41 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-CelticCub
@January 10, 2005, 10:31 AM
To be honest, I've never been totally impressed by the leather seats in ANY Ford. I think it's a weak link in an otherwise sturdy chain. They must get their skins from cut-rate cows!

My A4 shows virtually no wear after 12K miles, and the leather in older Audis looks better than the seats in these pix.

I'm not trying to get flamed here or anything; I'm just making an observation. Of course, I still love the interior of the 'Stang and would not let the wear bother me. It's going to happen to EVERY seat eventually. At the same time, I agree with the earlier posts about the importance of conditioning. It's not like you can inject Botox in your seats or anything! But coating them with a high-quality product can add years to your seats. The only trouble is some lotions can make the leather look shiny; I prefer a matte finish.

Try Lexol. It keeps the leather soft and pliable but doesn't leave it shiny. I've been using it for years and it works great.
I just finished an application of Lexol to my seats no more than three hours ago!!! [/b][/quote]
Yeah, I need to get off my butt and do the seats in my Mazda. They're due for some cleaning & conditioning.
Old 1/10/05, 09:31 PM
GT Member

I ordered a kit from Zaino and I am very impressed with the quality. The kit I ordered included leather conditioner. A little pricey but well worth it. My paint looks like glass and my leather brand new. I plan to keep it that way as long as I can.

Check out http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/mercha...gory_Code=Zaino
Old 1/10/05, 09:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by TomServo92+January 10, 2005, 9:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TomServo92 @ January 10, 2005, 9:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Blazing Saddles@January 10, 2005, 1:33 PM
I've never had a leather interior before. Both Meguiar's and Lexol have cleaning and conditioning wipes. Are the wipes any better than using the sprays and rags?
Not any better just more convenient. [/b][/quote]
And I think more expensive per application.
Old 1/10/05, 09:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'll also vote for Lexol. Good stuff.
Old 1/10/05, 10:13 PM
GT Member

I have used probably every product on the market and there is only one choice: Lexol. You can ask any number of detailers and upholstery shops and the majority of them will agree. Lexol has been around forever, and nothing else has ever come close. I'm very partial to Meguiars products but when it comes to the leather, Lexol.

Also, many people don't realize that leather is very expensive, so it's worth your time to take care of it. My T/A had a leak in the roof while parked outside under a car cover. To make a long story short, there was a lot of mold damage and the whole interior and convt. top had to be replaced to the tune of about $7500 (about 5,000 in the seats alone!) Not that conditioning would have helped that, but it was definitely a wake-up call to take extra special care of the new seats.
Old 1/10/05, 11:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 94+ Mustang leather is no good IMO. The creases started on my car at 5K miles and I only weigh 160lbs. As for all leather creasing, I have a friend with a SAAB from late 80s, early 90s with not a mark on his "oak-colored" leather seats!

BTW, are the rear seats real leather yet? Anyone check?
Old 1/10/05, 11:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

For those of you with leather for the first time you will want to clean and condition your leather regularly. I do mine about 4 times a year and it keeps the creases to a very minimum. Take your time and really work it in with your hands, especially the drivers seat. Ford leather isn't as soft and supple as some others but you should get many years of durability out of them. The back seats are leather too.
Old 1/11/05, 06:27 AM
Team Mustang Source

Is there a problem with the Armorall (sp) leather cleaner and protectant? I used it last week (first application on the seats) and it really brought out the richness of the red leather color.
Old 1/11/05, 07:14 AM
Cobra Member

I'm sure most of the Leather conditioners are ok. I prefer Lexol.

I believe only the seating surfaces are leather on Ford's and most other other domestic cars. The rest of the seat cover is vinyl. The leather used is a coated leather, and is not of high quality.
Old 1/11/05, 07:15 AM

I too have noticed that, typically, American car's seat covers (cloth or leather) tend not to be fitted as tautly as on German or Japanese cars, allowing more flexing and bunching that thus, leads to more cracks. The seat padding on the foreign cars, in addition to being firmer and resisting flexing more, seem almost pressure fit into the covers. A lot of American, and some foreign, seat covers look like a suit that wasn't quite fitted right.

My girlfriend's 10-year-old Saab's seats looked brand new, as did the seats in my dad's 20-year-old Mercedes. The latter were as firm as a park bench, but felt great on a 500 mile drive.

American cars all to often go with Barcalounger soft cushions in the assumption that softer is more luxurious, but are mushy and lead to leather wear through excessive flexing. German cars especially tend to take a more serious engineering tack aiming for good ergonomic and orthopedic design that tend to be firmer with the side benefit being reduced leather wear due to reduced flexing.

Good leather care and treatment can't be overstated though and will make a huge difference in how long a seat lasts and whether it acquires a nice aged-leather patina with time or just looks like a Death Valley dry lake bottom in July.
Old 1/11/05, 07:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by icemant180@January 11, 2005, 7:30 AM
Is there a problem with the Armorall (sp) leather cleaner and protectant? I used it last week (first application on the seats) and it really brought out the richness of the red leather color.
One of the big things that Lexol advertises is that the cleaner is pH balanced so that it won't damage the leather. Here's more info regarding the Lexol products:

Lexol Info
Old 1/11/05, 10:16 AM
GT Member

Read these two articles about Lexol and other car products:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/lexol.htm
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/carcare.htm
Old 1/11/05, 10:50 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by rhumb@January 11, 2005, 8:18 AM
I too have noticed that, typically, American car's seat covers (cloth or leather) tend not to be fitted as tautly as on German or Japanese cars, allowing more flexing and bunching that thus, leads to more cracks. The seat padding on the foreign cars, in addition to being firmer and resisting flexing more, seem almost pressure fit into the covers. A lot of American, and some foreign, seat covers look like a suit that wasn't quite fitted right.

My girlfriend's 10-year-old Saab's seats looked brand new, as did the seats in my dad's 20-year-old Mercedes. The latter were as firm as a park bench, but felt great on a 500 mile drive.

American cars all to often go with Barcalounger soft cushions in the assumption that softer is more luxurious, but are mushy and lead to leather wear through excessive flexing. German cars especially tend to take a more serious engineering tack aiming for good ergonomic and orthopedic design that tend to be firmer with the side benefit being reduced leather wear due to reduced flexing.

Good leather care and treatment can't be overstated though and will make a huge difference in how long a seat lasts and whether it acquires a nice aged-leather patina with time or just looks like a Death Valley dry lake bottom in July.
Ford has used doctors for decades to design their seat to be ergonomically correct. I can't say that I've ever ridden in a more confortable seat for long distance than a Ford seat... Even my '91 Bronco was comfortable to long trips. If I want to make my back hurt like all heck, all I have to do is sit in a Japanese car for about 10 minutes. Dodge isn't much better, for that matter. Chevy seems to be kinda like "whatever it takes to qualify as a seat" .... I'll admit, though, that BMW and Audi aren't that bad... older BMWs do ok for a while, but start to wear on ya, and I haven't been in a new one, so I can't speak to that. But, I've never found a more comfortable seat to ride/drive in than a Ford. I've got a long torso, so that's usually the first thing I notice when I get in a car.... how long it takes to make my back hurt.
Anyways.... as far as the leather goes... I had leather in my '98 GT and it looked dang near brand new when I sold it at '68K miles. I have leather in my 2000 Expedition, and it's got over 112K miles on it.... the seats look perfect. Not a day's worth of wear on them. My wife's '03 Focus has leather, and I'm really impressed with how it's seamed up too.... and it looks and feels great.... again, not a day's worth of wear on it.... granted she only has about 16K miles on it.
I sure hope the quality in the leather on the '05 seats didn't take a back seat (pun intended).... and I'll say that I don't like the sport leather... all the perferations in it. Perhaps I'll be diggin some seats out of an '03 Cobra.... the charcol seats with the suede insets and the embroidered snake.... I think those seat look sharp.

anyways.... my $.02

Quick Reply: Leather quality