2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Lack of respect from 90's mustang owners?

Search this Thread

Old 7/6/06, 11:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lack of respect from 90's mustang owners?

As i drive around, i've noticed that most 05+ mustang owners usually give me a grin or a nod or something of that nature, even though there arn't that many 05+ mustangs around here. However everyone with a pre-2005 mustang sort of gives me this evil look then stomps on it and keeps going. Whats the deal?
Old 7/7/06, 12:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

Jealousy is a bad thing....
Old 7/7/06, 12:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Almost all 05+ Mustang owners I see on the road wave at me when we pass in traffic or when they pass my house (I have a few 05+ Mustangs in my area)...but this is only the GT owners. I rarely have an 05+ V6 Mustang owner pay any attention to my GT. I did have an older gentleman that had an 05 V6 Mustang stop and talk to me about my GT at the Market today.
But when it comes to owners of other Mustangs (pre 05) I never get any reaction from them (with the exception of car shows and car club meets).
Old 7/7/06, 01:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Think it's just a random thing...i have had a couple nods from 05's ( i drive a 81) and other times they either ignore me or probably dont even think about it...ya just never know,i have a guy down the street with a 06 vert that basically completely ignored me when i drove by and said nice car (nice neighbour eh) and yet another time when i was at ford for a part pickup i had the salesmen around my car commenting how nice it was to see such a nice older stang (that made me feel good)...either way,when i see another stang i always give a nod...
Old 7/7/06, 01:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

re:

I don't think its intentional most of the time. You have to remember that this is just a car to some people. Not everybody is Mustang crazy like us here.

Plus some people just don't wave to strangers.
Old 7/7/06, 01:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

I agree that it's a random thing where 05+ Mustang GT owners wave to each other on the road. I kind of figure that the ones that wave to the other owners are the ones that are 'Mustang Crazy' as you put it.
I know in my last post I mentioned that it was rare that the owner of an 05+ V6 Mustang wave to me (05 GT)...but I have also had this happen with other GT owners as well.
I don't take it personal...I figure that some people are 'Mustang Crazy' and to others 'it's just a car'
Old 7/7/06, 06:31 AM
Cobra Member

Many (but not all) of the Mustang owners I've seen at car shows tend to turn their noses up at my V-6. Funny thing about this is that its not typically the older Mustang owners that do this... its the younger dudes who tend to act like anything less than a GT is less than a Mustang.
Old 7/7/06, 07:01 AM
Cobra Member

Some pre-05 owners do not like the look of the S197 at all, or they complain about the weight.
Old 7/7/06, 07:03 AM
Bullitt Member

I dunno what the deal is, but I used to get the same thing from all different kinds of stangs, haven't run into many 05 GTs though mostly V6s driven by old ladies who could care less. The people that show lack of respect just aren't enthusiasts in my book.
Old 7/7/06, 07:56 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ballz
I don't think its intentional most of the time. You have to remember that this is just a car to some people. Not everybody is Mustang crazy like us here.

Plus some people just don't wave to strangers.
Very true on both statements. Imagine if you owned a '97 Cobra and you come up on a S197. They put out all that money and anyone in an '05+ is right there with 'em.

I did get a wave BACK from that '97 cobra, but I had to initiate. (No sexual jokes, plz.)
Old 7/7/06, 09:48 AM
Bullitt Member

I try to wave or acknowledge all the new mustangs, and if I see a nice pre-05 I always wave, and usually get a wave back. A LOT of 05+ v6's completely miss it. As someone else said, not everyone is in it for the love of Mustangs. It's just a car to them.

Regardless, I wave. Also, that includes any classic musclecars no matter what the make. If it looks nice, I wave.
Old 7/7/06, 10:54 AM
Cobra R Member

It seems like I'm always getting "revved at" by Fox Mustangs and 90's models. Now I don't know it's supposed to be a "greeting" or a "challenge" or what. One time some guy in a fox was riding my *** for several blocks, til I finally got fed up, turned right onto a side street, and waved him over. To my surprise, he responded and pulled up next to me.

I said, "So you wanna run 'em, or what? By the way you were riding my ***, it seems like you want to race"?

He responded with "Uhhh, I was jusy playing around, and my clutch is slipping."

I just laughed and told him, "Have a nice day".
Old 7/7/06, 11:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've never given annyone driving an 05+ anything less that respect. I dont rush over to their car and tell them how wonderful it is, but I'll give smile or nod and a 'Nice car".

But on the other side of the coin, I've gotten sn197 drivers who give me the snob attitude, like they dont want to acknowledge that my car exists because its not the newest greatest thing like their's is. It all depends on who's driving, and you really cant catagorize car drivers because it tends to be pretty random most of the time
Old 7/7/06, 11:17 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mudshuvel319
I've never given annyone driving an 05+ anything less that respect. I dont rush over to their car and tell them how wonderful it is, but I'll give smile or nod and a 'Nice car".

But on the other side of the coin, I've gotten sn197 drivers who give me the snob attitude, like they dont want to acknowledge that my car exists because its not the newest greatest thing like their's is. It all depends on who's driving, and you really cant catagorize car drivers because it tends to be pretty random most of the time

I agree it's random most of the time. But it does seems like the V6 guys don't even notice you're there.

I see you live Hatboro PA. That's not too far from me, I live in NE Philly right near the NE Airport. Do you go to many cars shows? I've been to a number of them in the area. I am also a member of the Far NE cruisers car club. We usually put on a show the 4th Sunday of every month at the Burger King Parking lot on Street road in Bensalem. Our first show this year we had 106 cars on display. I am always looking to meet fellow Mustang people for good conversations and cruising around. You can't miss me I don't know of any other Yellow 2006 GT's with a CDC ducktail and Rally strips in the area, so if you see me don't hazitate to give me a wave, I'll wave back.

I think it would be really cool if we could get a bunch of Mustangs to go on a cruise or something but I don't know the best way to start it.
Old 7/7/06, 12:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Respect is highly overrated.
Old 7/7/06, 02:40 PM
V6 Member

I think it just depends on the driver, regardless of the car. A guy in a new Chrysler 300C was about to pass me in my '06, then slowed down and I could see him saying "Nice car." I gave him the thumbs up and he drove by (there was traffic in my lane, or he wouldn't have had a chance to pass me ).

But, I was on the highway once, right next to a lady driving a Torch Red GT nearly identical to mine (though hers was a vert), and she didn't even notice me for about 5 minutes. When she finally did, I waved, but she just had this blank stare, like "Why is this guy waving at me."

When my brother first got his '05, other Mustang drivers would wave to him all the time (any year Mustang). But now that they have been out for a while, I think the some of the excitement is gone, and there isn't that connection there was.
Old 7/7/06, 03:50 PM
Cobra Member

I think the only wave/thumbs up or nod I've ever gotten in this car was from an older guy driving a pt cruiser I encountered back in dec 04. I wave or nod here and there at other Mustangs but never gets returned and I feel like a dope. So I don't bother anymore.
Old 7/7/06, 05:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm with nynvolt - as a SoCal resident no one really notices your car if it's not a $100k+ Benz/BMW or exotic.

That's OK! *I* notice my 'Stang and that's all that counts!!
Old 7/7/06, 05:46 PM
GT Member

I knew a guy that had a 2004 Mustang and he said he "hated" the "new" mustangs because he believed his car lost a lot of value. He said his value of his car decreased by $6,000 when the 05s came out due to EVERYONE wanted the 05 and NO ONE wanted the Pre-05s anymore. I would probably feel the same "buyers remorse" if I would have bought a 2004 and didn't wait for the 2005.

However, I have had a lot of people admire my car but very few have came from the older mustangs. I did get a thumbs up by a guy driving a new Civic! haha I guess he was also feeling the 'buyers remorse' or perhaps he wanted the 'Stang and his wife made him get that POS? haha
Old 7/7/06, 05:47 PM
V6 Member

I only wave at a driver of another Mustang if she is young and really good looking. As a matter of fact I don’t limit myself to just waving at young good looking women driving Mustangs, it can be any make or year I am not prejudiced by a vehicles make…

Quick Reply: Lack of respect from 90's mustang owners?