2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

just took on a charger R/T

Search this Thread

Old 10/12/07, 07:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts
I have had one opportunity to drive an '06 Charger R/T. I wouldn't trade the Mustang for it for a long list of reasons. I would consider it for a second car.

Yes it has four doors. But the Charger has been mightily abused since 1983 anyway. Remember, Chrysler did this to the Charger name too. With Carroll's help, they pumped the mighty beast up to 107HP, 127trq.

Old 10/12/07, 09:51 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok,

if you are gonna compare a Charger to a Mustang GT, then it should be the R/T model. The SRT8, based on its MSRP of about $37k, is closer to GT500 territory. And as we all know, the GT500 would crush it. Hell, even a terminator Cobra will destroy it.

Based on the fairer comparison of a GT vs. an R/T, the Stang still comes out ahead.

Oh yah, and it's much better looking, too!

Let the Dodge boys stick THAT up their craw!!!
Old 10/12/07, 09:56 AM
V6 Member

Have you guys read any of the smack they talk over at the Charger forums? Down-right entertaining, I'll give em that.

Some adjectives used to describe the Charger, and used as if to say "NOT" for the Mustang:

"Sexy" - yeah if you like EXTRA- LARGE women with lard-a$$es and huge noses with flared nostrils!! Yummy...sign me up!

"Mean" - the only thing mean about the Charger are the drivers who are ****ed off when they see a Mustang fly by and get ALL the attention. Them and the Hemi guys as they stand at the pump and wait for the reciept to print out!! "It took whaaaaaat"??

"Unique" -well, ya got me there. I must admit, they are "unique" all right. Who woulda thought a fugly 4-door sedan would be touted as a "muscle-car" and wear a badge that was once on a very cool car. Yeah, they are unique. Let's hope they stay that way....kinda like the Do Do Bird.

"Fast" - uh, huh....if I read one more post about a race that started at 100mph I am gonna bust!! last time I checked, DRAG races started from a STARTING LINE!!!!! Bye-bye Charger!

It's worse than the GTO Forums. Don't even get me started on that TIC-TAC on wheels.

Fun though, huh? Nothing like a good rivalry. However, these days (until the Camaro/Challenger) we sooooo rule the streets. Of course, that is MHO.
Old 10/12/07, 10:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Gah, that Charger forum setup really sucks. First post, a giant ad, then the rest.
Old 10/12/07, 11:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

yeah all charger races start at a 100+mph roll
Old 10/13/07, 01:07 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a Charger R/T next to my GT/CS in the garage every night. I've also been involved in debates over at ChargerForums and those guys think they'll take every GT alive. The Mustang should take the Charger off the line and in the 1/4. On the highway, I don't know. I made a run in the R/T here with only a K&N intake on it and I ran a 14.8. Keep in mind, this is at 3,800 elevation here in Texas while the temp. was around 80 that night. Not bad if you ask me. I respect the R/T, but I know my Mustang is faster.
Old 10/13/07, 05:59 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we KNOW our cars are faster, they THINK they're car is faster.its human nature!
Old 10/13/07, 06:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
oh...you raced one....I thought you BOUGHT one!..as in...taking on water..
..blond moment..I'm good now.
Old 10/13/07, 11:44 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Originally Posted by codeman94
oh...you raced one....I thought you BOUGHT one!..as in...taking on water..
..blond moment..I'm good now.

I didn't buy one. My mother did. She had a 300M before that and wanted to stick with the domestic family. It was either going to be a 300C or a Charger...at least until the Challenger comes out.

Its not a bad family car, or road trip vehicle. The SRT-8's have been known to hit high 12's when in GREAT conditions stock. You've got to hand it to them for that one.
Old 10/13/07, 09:21 PM
GT Member

Speaking of young, gangsta Charger drivers, I haven't noticed too many young S197 drivers here.... hmm. *flamesuit*
Old 10/13/07, 10:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Cmon, quit pickin on the chargers. The guys that drive them didnt pick the name. Its not a bad looking car for whats out there for a V8 rear wheel drive thats gotta haul tha family, ITs what I would have chosen if I had the need for 4 doors.
The guys that I know dont claim them to be retro muscle cars. Just a nice looking car that gets the family or the luggage to point B with some fun. Blame Chrysler.
Old 10/14/07, 12:17 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Stoenr
Cmon, quit pickin on the chargers. The guys that drive them didnt pick the name. Its not a bad looking car for whats out there for a V8 rear wheel drive thats gotta haul tha family, ITs what I would have chosen if I had the need for 4 doors.
The guys that I know dont claim them to be retro muscle cars. Just a nice looking car that gets the family or the luggage to point B with some fun. Blame Chrysler.
I would have agreed, but now that the G8 is coming out and Pontiac might do a G8 wagon I think the general would be getting my bucks if I were in the market for a family sedan.
Old 10/14/07, 03:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GOarmy08
Speaking of young, gangsta Charger drivers, I haven't noticed too many young S197 drivers here.... hmm. *flamesuit*
19 years young and not gangster.
Charger drivers are all wankstas.
Old 10/14/07, 08:36 AM

24, DEFINATELY NOT a gansta
Old 10/15/07, 01:28 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

21 here. Purple stripes aren't gansta or wanksta!
Old 10/28/07, 04:30 PM
Bullitt Member

It's mostly the 300 series car from Chrysler that I see the wannabe gangsta/thug types (both whites, blacks, and latinos) driving. Just last night I was pumping gas in my dad's '97 'Stang and I saw some dude come into the station in a 300C. Big atrocious bling-bling wheels, obnoxious sound system thumping excessively loud (with the windows up)...I'm guessing he wanted his arrival to be known and ugly paint scheme. Dude gets out and fits the appearence of what every typical gangsta wannabe looks like. On the bright side another red Mustang pulled into the gas station and parked on the other side of where I was pumping. We had a good talk about Mustangs, and of course the poser in the 300 series.

Anyway back on subject which was the Chargers. Personally, I like them, but I wouldn't trade my v6 S197 for one...but if I could I'd love to pick up a v6 model or even a low grade v8 model as a daily driver. Never raced one per say, but I haven't had a problem keeping up with one...but I'm pretty sure those have been v6s. Don't see too many v8 Chargers in my area, and if they are in my area...apparently they are garage queens driven by queens (meaning ladies are the predominate ones I've seen driving Chargers in my area).
Old 10/28/07, 06:29 PM
Bullitt Member

I would have definately preferred if they used another name for the car, but they ain't that bad. I'm waiting for the first police depts to start trading in the cruiser with the hemi to replace my "winter" car P71 Crown Vic.

Old 10/28/07, 08:03 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm 24 and italian if you want to add gangster to that I woldnt recomend it .

Ive loved mustangs since I was a kid, my first car was a mustang, and I love these new s197 so much so I traded in my modded 02 gt for it after I test drove one.

Of course mommy and daddy never bought me a car so I have two jobs to be able to play with it, but its worth it to me.
Old 10/28/07, 09:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Cops down here have a few Charger patrol cars. Mostly Broward Sherriffs, but that is the upgrade machine when the Crown Vics have to be retired, I belive.
Old 10/29/07, 03:02 PM
V6 Member

The new Chargers are too big and clunky looking for my taste. The thing is, I wouldn't mind the car as much if they would have come up with a new name for it. I absolutely love the classic Charger. I think they did it a terrible injustice with this new version, especially the 4 doors! If they would have called it something else, I probably would have looked at it completely different and might even like it (just not for me).

As far as their stories of beating Mustangs, I'm willing to bet most of them are against V6 Mustangs and they are just too ignorant to tell the difference. The thing is though you can always find a faster car right? I mean my car runs 11.5 seconds in the 1/4 mile because I've done a lot of work on it. I'm sure there is a Charger out there that has done more than me and is even faster. Then again, I can go find a Mustang that is even faster yet so what do you base it on? The stock Mustang is faster... They are coming out with a 6.1L SRT8 with 425 hp in 2008 but I'd say compare that to the Shelby GT-500 or GT-500KR and SLAM! -Joe

Quick Reply: just took on a charger R/T