2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

just took on a charger R/T

Search this Thread

Old 10/10/07, 04:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just took on a charger R/T

we were next to each other at a few lights (i had a friend with me in mine) and i could FEEL him looking over my car and i glanced a few times catching it. well we finally get to a light and when it turned green i could hear him floor it so ofcorse i take it on. now remind you i wasnt AT ALL ready since he didnt rev, ask if i wanted to go or even instigate at the previous lights, he just floored it. he was about 1/2 length in front of me and not knowing what kind of H/P he was running with i went for it. since the bar i was going to was about 500 ft ahead i had to slow down (cant pass the bar!) but when i eventually hit the brakes my nose was about 2 feet in front of his. again, AFTER he got a jump start. only mods i have is a K&N CAI and axbleback flows.

i just got home now to check the specs and i see 5.7-liter V8
HORSEPOWER/TORQUE: 340 hp @ 5000 rpm/390 lb.-ft. @ 4000 rpm. but the weight, thats definetely where it killed him 3,800 - 4,031 lb. the mustang 3483-3518.

sorry but to me your 4 door family sedan just will never be a muscle car in my eyes. (the classic 2 door though is another story )

hope you enjoyed my story
Old 10/10/07, 04:27 PM
Cobra R Member

good kill...I annhialated one of those on the hwy...course I have a teensy bit more than a CAI...
Old 10/10/07, 04:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

just a lil bit more
Old 10/10/07, 04:40 PM
Cobra R Member

he he...yah, those cars are pigs. Personally, I think I'd like them alot more if they didn't call them Chargers. I can't accept a 4-door muscle car, either.
Old 10/10/07, 04:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah those cars are heavy. Big HP but not big acceleration. The SRT-8s are another story, though.
Old 10/10/07, 04:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

I was actually involved in a LOONG thread on the charger forums, where most of them were saying they have been annihilating S197s left and right. Fact is that if you look in any magazine, or go to any charger forum or anything, the R/T is a 14 second car stock. Whats worse is even with quite a few bolt ons, they are stilll only upper 13s. Motor trend even did a comparison of the two and a stock GT came in .8 seconds faster in the 1/4 than the R/T, but you cant say that on a charger forum, lol.

Anyway, good kill, and yes I agree, the classic R/T is a beautiful thing.
Old 10/10/07, 04:53 PM
Cobra R Member

well, I know there are other factors, but if you figure the HP/weight ratio, they are very close.

Stock for stock it should be a driver's race. Yes, the SRT8 is another animal. Can't wait to whoop one of those, too.
Old 10/10/07, 04:54 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
From what I understand, the Charger is a speed density car, umm make that a mercedes based speed density car, ever hard to mod from what I understand. I messed with a black hemi charger awhile back and roasted him in 3 out of 3 runs, was also looking to mess with a daytona charger (I think thats what it was) but there was no clear space.
Old 10/10/07, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Reminisce
I was actually involved in a LOONG thread on the charger forums, where most of them were saying they have been annihilating S197s left and right. Fact is that if you look in any magazine, or go to any charger forum or anything, the R/T is a 14 second car stock. Whats worse is even with quite a few bolt ons, they are stilll only upper 13s. Motor trend even did a comparison of the two and a stock GT came in .8 seconds faster in the 1/4 than the R/T, but you cant say that on a charger forum, lol.

Anyway, good kill, and yes I agree, the classic R/T is a beautiful thing.

Maybe V6 S197s, but I think even the V6 would give the new R/Ts a run for their money
Old 10/10/07, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by bob
From what I understand, the Charger is a speed density car, umm make that a mercedes based speed density car, ever hard to mod from what I understand. I messed with a black hemi charger awhile back and roasted him in 3 out of 3 runs, was also looking to mess with a daytona charger (I think thats what it was) but there was no clear space.
The Daytona's 10 hp over the regular R/T isn't going to make a noticeable difference in that race.

It's just hard to come back from that kind of disadvantage in weight. You need some serious power. They probably race better from a roll, IE at highway speeds.
Old 10/10/07, 05:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sweet Victory!!
Old 10/10/07, 05:14 PM
V6 Member

That fugly thing should NEVER have been given the Charger badge. Frankly I couldn't give a squat if they manage to outrun my Mustang. Dipstick thinks he's driving a Charger? Seriously?

Mustang = true to heritage
Charger = some German suit saying, "hey, let's defile an American Muscle Car!"

Last edited by Okiewan; 12/12/14 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10/10/07, 05:33 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
The SRT-8s are another story, though.
Not really... sure they're a bit quicker than the R/T but not by as much as one would think.

I've raced 2 SRT-8's at the track with my modded GT and it wasn't all that close. I won handily both times. Sure they were gaining quick toward the end, but I had em by a couple car lengths at the beams.

In a street race of longer length, they'd get the best of me up top, that's where they make their power, but they can't dig off the line worth poop.
Old 10/10/07, 05:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Okiewan
That fugly thing should NEVER have been given the Charger badge. Frankly I couldn't give a squat if they manage to outrun my Mustang. Dipstick thinks he's driving a Charger? Seriously?

Mustang = true to heritage
Charger = some German suit saying, "hey, let's defile an American Muscle Car!"
couldnt have put it better myself. i guess dodge woke up when they decided over the OVERWHELMING demand for the challenger that maybe muscle cars SHOULD be 2 door and SHOULDNT be 4 door grocery getters. then again from the spy photos ive seen they have changed it a bit so maybe im getting ahead of myself. but yea, the SRT-8, prrroob give me a good run but that R/T, not a chance. both though are definetely wastes of money in my book.
Old 10/10/07, 06:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It's not just HP/Weight, but also gearing. I don't know about the Charger, but my Magnum R/T had 2.92 gears. So on top of terrible throttle lag, I had the tallest gears of any car I've ever owned, I swear. And there's not aftermarket available. If they were geared right, it could definitely be a good race. But they're not, and there's only a handful of performance parts available.
Old 10/10/07, 06:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SixtySix
Not really... sure they're a bit quicker than the R/T but not by as much as one would think.

I've raced 2 SRT-8's at the track with my modded GT and it wasn't all that close. I won handily both times. Sure they were gaining quick toward the end, but I had em by a couple car lengths at the beams.

In a street race of longer length, they'd get the best of me up top, that's where they make their power, but they can't dig off the line worth poop.
+1.

I killed 3 of those on my local track.
Old 10/10/07, 06:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT
The Daytona's 10 hp over the regular R/T isn't going to make a noticeable difference in that race.

It's just hard to come back from that kind of disadvantage in weight. You need some serious power. They probably race better from a roll, IE at highway speeds.
Nope I walked on the highway too
Old 10/10/07, 06:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

I wouldn't mind having one of the Daytona R/T's at all - would make a pretty nice and fun to drive family car. I also think they make some mean looking police cruisers. Even though they aren't as quick as a Mustang it's cool that they are available with a big V8 in this day and time instead of a Mitsubishi built 4-banger or worse.
Old 10/10/07, 06:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jay_wx
I wouldn't mind having one of the Daytona R/T's at all - would make a pretty nice and fun to drive family car. I also think they make some mean looking police cruisers. Even though they aren't as quick as a Mustang it's cool that they are available with a big V8 in this day and time instead of a Mitsubishi built 4-banger or worse.
i do agree. i wouldnt mind having one for a family type car (even though im single ahahah). but as a muscle car, dont see it. but definetely a good family car with some power
Old 10/10/07, 07:39 PM
V6 Member

Muscle car with four doors?

Quick Reply: just took on a charger R/T