2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Just Spoke To My Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 5/4/05, 03:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Xader Vartec@May 4, 2005, 2:33 PM
For this particular car they have made more 05 Mustang GTs than previous years. And yet this car will maintain value? That doesn't really add up.

The car may maintain value reasonably well. The car may be considered a great modern design (estetcily(sp)). I don't think the value of the car will increase.
Not that I think it will be a collectors item or anything, but I wouldn't base my feeling on production numbers. The number of Mustangs manufactured this year is still only about a third of what was made in 1965 - and the 1965 Mustang definately counts as collectible.

Classic is simply how people will feel about it in the future. There are collectible cars that are NOT "classics." Collectible is how in demand the car is in the future. Very rare cars that have some special characteristic (first of it's kind) can be collectible. Cars that aren't especially rare, but are popular (like a classic design) can also be collectible.

If this design lasts a few years and then a less popular design comes out, I can definately see this car becoming a very desirable car - but that will take a while to know.
Old 5/4/05, 03:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@May 4, 2005, 2:42 PM
Without our passion for the Mustang, most of would be saying the '05s are a bunch of lemons. Next time you speak to him ask how much is a '94 worth to him as a trade in. Whatever his answer might be, the depreciation rate of the '94s should match the '05s.
This car does not have that many problems. Especially for new model. So far we have a handful of TSBs and no recalls. Any issue is annoying, but this is okay so far. My friend has a Prius and my Dad has a G35 and they have had plenty of TSBs.
Old 5/4/05, 03:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by moze+May 4, 2005, 2:29 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moze @ May 4, 2005, 2:29 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Xader Vartec@May 4, 2005, 2:33 PM
For this particular car they have made more 05 Mustang GTs than previous years. And yet this car will maintain value? That doesn't really add up.

The car may maintain value reasonably well. The car may be considered a great modern design (estetcily(sp)). I don't think the value of the car will increase.
Not that I think it will be a collectors item or anything, but I wouldn't base my feeling on production numbers. The number of Mustangs manufactured this year is still only about a third of what was made in 1965 - and the 1965 Mustang definately counts as collectible.

Classic is simply how people will feel about it in the future. There are collectible cars that are NOT "classics." Collectible is how in demand the car is in the future. Very rare cars that have some special characteristic (first of it's kind) can be collectible. Cars that aren't especially rare, but are popular (like a classic design) can also be collectible.

If this design lasts a few years and then a less popular design comes out, I can definately see this car becoming a very desirable car - but that will take a while to know.
[/b][/quote]
"TAKE IT WITH A GRAIN OF SALT......"
In this case go down to Home Depot and buy one of those 50 lb bags.
The dealers are ,in general, full of it. Not all but most.Joe Izuzu types.
I've been schmoozin 3 sales mgrs about ths GT 500 and the stuff they say is comical."$20k AMV, list of 25 with $1000 deposits,etc.."
Ya gotta wear hip-waders in there.
The good part is Ford finally has a bright spot.
Old 5/4/05, 05:27 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally posted by moze@May 4, 2005, 4:35 PM
... So far we have a handful of TSBs and no recalls...
The sun can't be blocked by a thumb, over 20 TSBS is a bit more than a handful, and car salesmen are not exactly the most knowledgeable people in the auto industry.

It's irreverent. I would still buy it regardless, even if it had 50 TSBs. The point is we are more tolerant and forgiving because we like it.
Old 5/4/05, 05:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@May 4, 2005, 4:17 PM
So, I called my dealer to talk about the TSBs, and set up a time and date to get my car in...

He of course asked how my car is, and we chatted for a bit. The key things he had to say:

With all the orders they have currently, they are on track to be ordering 07's IN 30 DAYS! Thats just insane.

If youre looking for a GT on a lot, be prepared to pay markup, or you are not getting one. He has got people coming to order 06s at this point.

Its his opinion that 05 GTs are going to be worth some coin. Going by historical data on it, the first model year of the Mustang, a GT, early production shut down, IUPs, etc, he strongly feels that in about 10 years they will be worth a LOT more than 06s.

They have 6 V6s on the lot right now. All Coupes, and they ARE ACCEPTING XPLAN on the lot V6s. If you want a V6, I would talk to Daniel Hernandez at RSM Ford. Other Ford dealerships may have GTs on the lots, but I know for a fact they are marking up, and defintely are not accepting plans. RSM doesnt mark up, at all, but only plans are accepted on ordered GTs, and at this point you are ordering an 06, an 07 if you wait too long.

Thought I would let you all know....
Well I wish that was true about the GT's but unfortunately its not when it comes to what they will be worth. This is coming from the owner (and friend) of a local dealship in Chattanooga, TN. They expect the roads to be pact with GT's and V6's by 2007 which by his opinion will not help the value of the GT nor the V6. In about 30 years maybe. He also believes that Ford is holding up on letting these cars on the dealerships so the demand will increase and people will think that its a car hard to get (which of course right now it is but thats the whole idea). He mentioned that chrysler did the same thing when they came out with the PT cruiser which is true. You could not find one for nothing. He said its all a marketing scam which is working well. He said the smart purchase will be the Shelby. Thats the car that will gain and hold its value like the old cars have done from thr 60's

He also said that the reason V6's are on the lot is not because there is no demand for them but because Ford knows they will sale with no problem. Again he said the marketing scam is on the GT's.

Regarding X-plan he said by policy they must accept it rather its a V6 or a GT.

I asked him which car does he think was a better and smarter buy. By my dissapointment he said the V6 because its as good as the GT has everything the GT has with the exception of 90 extra HP. He also said that the GT will not hold its value no better than the V6. He siad yes there has been a big deal with the new Mustangs and there should be because its one the best Mustangs Ford has ever bought. However in a couple of years they will be no different than the previuous models.

It sounds to me that I waisted 5 grand just to get 90 extra HP. Wish I had went with my first plan being the purchase of a a V6. I test drove the V6 prior to my GT purchase and that thing was slick and fast.
Old 5/4/05, 06:03 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by dtdebuty+May 4, 2005, 7:47 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dtdebuty @ May 4, 2005, 7:47 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-JessicaRabbitt@May 4, 2005, 4:17 PM
So, I called my dealer to talk about the TSBs, and set up a time and date to get my car in...

He of course asked how my car is, and we chatted for a bit. The key things he had to say:

With all the orders they have currently, they are on track to be ordering 07's IN 30 DAYS! Thats just insane.

If youre looking for a GT on a lot, be prepared to pay markup, or you are not getting one. He has got people coming to order 06s at this point.

Its his opinion that 05 GTs are going to be worth some coin. Going by historical data on it, the first model year of the Mustang, a GT, early production shut down, IUPs, etc, he strongly feels that in about 10 years they will be worth a LOT more than 06s.

They have 6 V6s on the lot right now. All Coupes, and they ARE ACCEPTING XPLAN on the lot V6s. If you want a V6, I would talk to Daniel Hernandez at RSM Ford. Other Ford dealerships may have GTs on the lots, but I know for a fact they are marking up, and defintely are not accepting plans. RSM doesnt mark up, at all, but only plans are accepted on ordered GTs, and at this point you are ordering an 06, an 07 if you wait too long.

Well I wish that was true about the GT's but unfortunately its not when it comes to what they will be worth. This is coming from the owner (and friend) of a local dealship in Chattanooga, TN. They expect the roads to be pact with GT's and V6's by 2007 which by his opinion will not help the value of the GT nor the V6. In about 30 years maybe. He also believes that Ford is holding up on letting these cars on the dealerships so the demand will increase and people will think that its a car hard to get (which of course right now it is but thats the whole idea). He mentioned that chrysler did the same thing when they came out with the PT cruiser which is true. You could not find one for nothing. He said its all a marketing scam which is working well. He said the smart purchase will be the Shelby. Thats the car that will gain and hold its value like the old cars have done from thr 60's

He also said that the reason V6's are on the lot is not because there is no demand for them but because Ford knows they will sale with no problem. Again he said the marketing scam is on the GT's.

I asked him which car does he think was a better and smarter buy. By my dissapointment he said the V6 because its as good as the GT has everything the GT has with the exception of 90 extra HP. He also said that the GT will not hold its value no better than the V6. He siad yes there has been a big deal with the new Mustangs and there should be because its one the best Mustangs Ford has ever bought. However in a couple of years they will be no different than the previuous models.

It sounds to me that I waisted 5 grand just to get 90 extra HP. Wish I had went with my first plan being the purchase of a a V6. I test drove the V6 prior to my GT purchase and that thing was slick and fast.
[/b][/quote]
Interesting. I drove both too. Better to have wasted the 5 grand than wish you had the 90 HP. You have it, now you get to use it! Like everything else, if you use it it will lose value, plus there are better "investments". On the other hand you could always sell it and pick up a V6 and get your 5 grand back.
Old 5/4/05, 06:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by hunter+May 4, 2005, 8:06 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hunter @ May 4, 2005, 8:06 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by dtdebuty@May 4, 2005, 7:47 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-JessicaRabbitt
@May 4, 2005, 4:17 PM

Interesting. I drove both too. Better to have wasted the 5 grand than wish you had the 90 HP. You have it, now you get to use it! Like everything else, if you use it it will lose value, plus there are better "investments". On the other hand you could always sell it and pick up a V6 and get your 5 grand back.
[/b][/quote]

You may have a point.
Old 5/4/05, 06:19 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Well, David, I wholeheartedly disagree with a lot of what your dealer said.

As for mine, I always take what they say with a grain of salt, however, he is not a sales man. He is a Fleet guy, they dont pitch the same thing.

I really honestly thought the most interesting thing about all he said was the orders.

As for "policy" and plans, we all know the policy, that doesnt mean that dealers are following policies. Just the same as dealers will tell you that they cant accept plans because they lose money. Its BS of the worst kind, because they get cash from Ford for accepting plans.

I am not a fan of V6s,(HP, bodystyle, etc) so, I am perfectly happy with my purchase. My dealer knows that there is nothing he could say or do to sway me. There is no point in trying to sell me on anything.

Again, I never said anything about appreciation. I do agree though that the 05 GTs will hold thier value better than the V6. Simply due to the fact that V6s are much easier to obtain.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

EDIT: Adding, please, no one read into this that I am bashing sixes. I am not. I prefer GTs, for the reasons I stated, but, I dont think the V6 is a BAD car, or a bad by, or that they are less of a car. I also dont want this to be another V6 vs GT thread, please gods, DONT do it!
Old 5/4/05, 06:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Interesting reading in this topic. 25 years from now, how many of these cars will have been dinged, wrecked or modded? It's really just a car to me, and I will drive it every day, but I also like it just the way it is: 'Stock'. With all the frenzy over this car, and continuing to grow each and every day.......I'm just glad I got mine when I did, and at MSRP.
Old 5/4/05, 08:27 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the new stangs will probably be worth decent money 40-50 years from now..just like the classics..i thought the 06 pricing info was coming out on may 15 and ordering would be on the 16th?thats my plan anyway.i will take the day off and be there first thing mon 16th ordering titanium(tungsten)vert with almost all upgrades.a salesman told me about a month ago he would gladly take x-plan.cant freakin wait!!!!
Old 5/4/05, 10:21 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm just glad I got mine ... at MSRP.
May I never utter these words.

Jessica, I think you are wrong. These cars won't appreciate. And I don't appreciate (pun intended) you bashing the V6 :angry:

Old 5/4/05, 10:39 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Mark, I think you and I need to go outside....

I cant say what I wanna say here.. :P
Old 5/5/05, 01:30 AM
Cobra R Member

I find it pretty hard to believe that they are looking at 07 orders for the GT.Think about it.Fords market share is lowest level since 1927,and there not gonna build as many 06 GT as they can per demand? Fords hurting big time right now,and if the mustang is as big of hit as there claiming (GT that is) im sure the white shirts will find a way to build way more 06 GT's....
Old 5/5/05, 06:07 AM
Cobra Member

According to the A/X Plan rules, a Dealer has the OPTION whether to accept it or not. Ford can not dictate to a dealer how much he sells a car for.
Old 5/5/05, 06:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

My opinion is that someone if the fleet guy or someone else is just trying put out that the GT is a better car than the V6. Not true. The GT ONLY has a bigger engine than the V6and thats it. That does nothing to hold or increase its value in comparison to the V6 or any other car. I wish it would it but it will loose its value like any other car. As a matter of fact if Ford produces more then the previous years (which appears they will) it will have less value than any other Mustang built. The only cars that hold their value are limited additions.

I LOVE my car but I am not going to make more than it is.

Thanks for that info though Jessica. I sure do hope it comes true.
Old 5/5/05, 06:41 AM
Bullitt Member

I have an instinct about this car that it will be regarded as something special in the future, whether it holds value or not is beside the point. I really wanted an 05 for some reasons I can't even explain, this car just has something about it. Future Mustangs (06s, 07s, etc.) will be awesome, no doubt, they will have all the same great features, and probably more to offer than the 05s, but I choose to have an 05.
Old 5/5/05, 07:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by moc1976+May 4, 2005, 2:41 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moc1976 @ May 4, 2005, 2:41 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Xader Vartec@May 4, 2005, 2:33 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-JessicaRabbitt
@May 4, 2005, 3:26 PM
No guarantees on it of course, but thats his opinion...

No offense but I don't think that will happen. The biggest reason is that I personally don't believe that any modern cars can become classics the way classics have become classics. My main reasoning for this is the technology that is used in modern cars cannot stand the test of time that older cars can (i.e. eventually circuitry will go out and due to the cost to create facilities for this circuitry, eventually the circuitry will stop being made).

But I'm not a car expert so I'm sure I could be wrong.

EDIT:

I also don't understand this 07 order thing. So.....since I haven't ordered an 06 from Ford, because I'm waiting to see if my 05 order will be filled, I'm out of luck for an 06? Ford's 06 orders are all filled up already? I didn't think they were even taking 06 orders yet.
No offense either, but I have to disagree with you about today's cars becoming classics. Let's face it, if there's money to be made, parts and products will be available. So while you may not be able to replace the exact 05 parts in 20 years, there will be parts that you will be able to use to restore 05s. People will always love cars, and I think that today's cars will be classics, just like cars have for the last 100 years.
[/b][/quote]

hmm...Ok...let me put my .02 in..

In 1981 I bought a pristine 65 coupe 6cyl /auto/air/ pony/ ss wheels and NO rust for $1200. In 1982 I sold it for $1500 and purchased a 66 289-4v / Air / Power Steering /auto/BENCH SEAT Pony Interior for $2200...again...pristine and no rust. I could kick myself for getting rid of the 66'....very rare 2 tone pony and bench seats..<sigh> What was I thinking?

Ok...let's face it...any car from the 60's are beasts...no brakes...power steering was a joke (can you say zero road feel)...no suspension...weight vs power was low (in most)..and MPG?(yeah..it got about 12)..and the ergonomics...well...anyone who has a 64-67 know about the door handle / door pad bruises you aquire.

Do you wanna guess what a zero rust, low milage highland green 66' coupe with bench seat....yada...yada... is worth? :bang:

Ok...new cars...let's use 05 Mustangs...nice interior....good brakes...good suspension...good ergonomics (no leg bruises)....power to weight is incredible...and I recently got almost 25 mpg on a highway trip...Add to that the limited number (I mean...they are basically sold out). The cars that are "one year" colors such as mine (legend lime).

I think the 05's will eventually be a nice collectable...in 10 years?....heck..I know people who collect the 74-77 Mustang Ghia.....!!!!.....

But like several have said....I bought this car for me...not an investment.... :drive:

Jay
Old 5/5/05, 07:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@May 4, 2005, 2:17 PM
That is scary. I remember all the problems people had when they tried to order the 05 a few months early. Much less the problem/confusion there would be if they even tried to take an 07 order in 05.

I guess they try to say anything to justify jacking the price up as much as they can.
Old 5/5/05, 07:35 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by dtdebuty@May 5, 2005, 6:23 AM. [b
The GT ONLY has a bigger engine than the V6and thats it.
[/b]
Really :bang:
I thought I paid more money and got:
V8 (aluminum block), Dual Exhaust, TR3650 5-speed manual transmission, 17" Wheels, Upright lower front fascia with air dam; grille-mounted fog lamps, Body-color rocker panel moldings; rear fascia wraparound rocker panel extension, Rear Suspension Stabilizer Bar, 3.55 Gears!
And there is more, but these are some of the things I got, that NO V6 can get from Ford, STOCK!

Dave...
Old 5/5/05, 05:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

If I remember correctly while looking at the Barret-Jackston auctions, things can change real quick for cars. Mustangs that were going for the 20's and 30's a few years ago, are now above 50 and some of the Shelby stuff over 100. I would imagine that if this series of Mustang in 25 years or so is determined to be special, then the first year model would indeed might be rare. Of course, in 30 years, the only thing I will be driving, if still kicking, will probably be two wheeled.

Quick Reply: Just Spoke To My Dealer