2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Just a morning cruise

Search this Thread

Old 8/7/05, 06:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My brain engaged quicker than usual this morning. I was up before the alarm, and outside the sun had just finished crawling over the horizon. I could hear the birds through the open window, and a cool breeze blew through my room. My clock radio read 4:02.

I ran downstairs for a light breakfast; I downed a glass of low-sodium v8 (which I don’t really like, except for the name and the fact it’s good for me) then consumed a half a grapefruit and some cold cereal. I rushed back upstairs, rinsed off in the shower, cleaned up my teeth, pushed back my damp hair and quickly mowed down the past days stubble. Even though it was only 20 after four, I had an important appointment and wanted to look my best. Moments later I was there, unlocking and raising the heavy garage door. The morning light illuminated my Legend Lime Mustang GT.

I had unlocked the door with the fob so I climbed inside, savoring the smell, the feel of the cool, dark interior. I carefully slid the key home, paused, and turned her over.

The starter whined briefly and the engine barked to life, rushing up over 1000 rpms… I closed my door, checked my rear view mirror, and as the revolutions fell disengaged the clutch and snicked the shifter through 4th and into reverse. From overhead one would have seen the sunlight suddenly striking and then enveloping my car as it slowly backed onto the drive. The paint appeared somewhat gold, iridescent.

After quickly hopping out to close the garage door and secure the premises, I headed out onto the empty street and worked my way out of my neighborhood.

I was keeping the revvs down below 2500 and occasionally glancing at the temperature gage. It was my policy not to stress the car until the engine and its fluids warmed. The Mustang still accelerated briskly. I rolled down my window to be greeted by the cool air and the warm sound of the exhaust. I was heading north, towards the freshly paved roads of a newly developing industrial section of the city. As I hit an offramp I finally allowed myself to run the car hard through 2nd and 3rd, its sound echoing off the adjacent concrete, my back pressing into the seat.

I drove several miles at 80, ticking along at 2900 rpms, then took another exit, heading east. I matched revvs down into 3rd and allowed the car to pull me strongly onto the street.

This early in on a Sunday morning one notices the presence of other vehicles. Up ahead, there was something worth noticing. A Dodge Charger R/T, red, waiting at a stop sign to turn onto the 2 lane road down which I was progressing. I watched the drivers eyes follow my car as I went past. Scarcely had I done so and the car launched aggressively, down on its haunches, its nose turned towards my tail…

One block ahead the light was green. Two blocks ahead, it was amber. I released the accelerator, allowing the car to slow as the Dodge blew past me on the left. The hot metal smell of burned fuel hit my nose, then the front of the Charger dropped as the driver slowed for the light. I was coasting now, and came to a stop beside this car. Both of us sat there, idling, the Charger almost silently. I could smell its brakes. I looked ahead; the sun was just above my windshield. As I was adjusting my sunglasses the passenger window on the Dodge slid down.

“So, what brings you out here this morning?” The other driver started our conversation as well as any other way.
“Same as you I suppose. Fresh pavement, cool air, no traffic.”
“Yeah. I’m out here breaking this thing in. Seeing what it will do. I just picked it up on Friday.”
“What do you figure?”
“It’s fast, man.” The driver was grinning at me. He revved his engine, having dropped his transmission into neutral.
“You want to find out how fast?” I checked my mirrors and the adjacent side streets; I had just thrown down the gauntlet, and didn’t want any casual or, more importantly, interested law-type observers around for what was about to take place.

This gave the other driver pause. He lifted a ball cap he was wearing, then set it back on his head. It seemed like ages since we had stopped. Maybe it was, the opposing lights were about to go amber.

“I’m game,” was all he said. I shifted to first gear, and gently brushed the accelerator, the volume of my exhaust increasing as the revvs climbed above 2000… I half expected the Dodge to begin straining against the converter, as many people figure that it helps with a stock setup to strain the transmission up against the brake. It doesn’t help much. Instead I only saw the other driver deactivate his traction control as his window rolled back up. I had done the same, only seconds after I started my car. I counted one second after the opposing lights had gone red, and began to engage the clutch.

Green! I smoothly applied throttle, engaging the clutch fully, as my car surged ahead painting only a few feet of dark black stripes. I had already picked up almost a carlength; the driver of the Dodge must have watched too many Hemi commercials and his rear tires were going up in smoke. I shifted to 2nd hard, laying rubber, and now the other car was dropping back fast, its front bumper fading behind my rear. My engine wound out again and I knew I had this one in the bag. I banged third, receiving a satisfying chirp from the tires, surely audible by the other driver, and several more carlengths stretched out between us. I didn’t need to look down at my instruments to know I was cresting 80 mph. Not sparing the brakes, I slowed quickly as the Mopar came up beside me. I tried to stay expressionless, but a smile crept across my lips as I waved to the driver. He returned his gaze ahead and accelerated, allowing me to see the dealers plate hanging above his back bumper.

I changed lanes right and turned, leaving the immediate area in case some suspicious soul came to investigate. It was time to stop for a coffee, I decided, before heading back out for a few more precious moments of fun before the rest of the world came loafing out onto the roads.
Old 8/7/05, 06:55 PM
GT Member

Great story man. I plan on taking some of those early morning cruises when I get mine.
Old 8/7/05, 06:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Now that is the way to start the day off right ! You have a talent for writing. Nice job !
Old 8/7/05, 08:12 PM
V6 Member

Wow.. that is an awesome story great writer with a great car
Old 8/7/05, 08:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by iCedOuT297@August 7, 2005, 9:15 PM
Wow.. that is an awesome story great writer with a great car

When is chapter 2 coming out?!

hehe
Old 8/7/05, 10:33 PM
GT Member

Old 8/7/05, 11:22 PM
FR500 Member

When can we see the movie?
Old 8/7/05, 11:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Stoenr@August 7, 2005, 9:00 PM

hehe
That was just a chapter???????? hahaha It was long but very well done, looking for chapter 2.
Old 8/7/05, 11:54 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

You are an incredible story teller. Great kill, just made it that much tastier for all of us, I was practially there, in how you told it
Old 8/8/05, 04:04 AM
Bullitt Member

reminds me of schoolwork, journalism/creative writing!
have respect for anyone who is willing to type that long just to say he whipped a charger!
Old 8/8/05, 12:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks folks, we'll see if I can come up with some more
Old 8/8/05, 12:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Would really make a nice commercial! WTG
Old 8/8/05, 01:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by eighty6gt@August 7, 2005, 6:44 PM
I carefully slid the key home, paused, and turned her over.

do you write romance novels??
Old 8/8/05, 02:04 PM
V6 Member

I hate to read, so only two people captivate my interest in reading, John Grisham and now YOU!

Awesome story! :worship:
Old 8/8/05, 03:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Great story.......you really ought to try writing more.......
Old 8/8/05, 03:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Stoenr@August 7, 2005, 8:00 PM

hehe
Forget chapter two . . . when is the book due on the shelves? I hope it weighs in like War and Peace or Moby weiner.
Old 8/8/05, 04:31 PM

Great read...been there on sunday morning...One time out on sunday...pulled up to a good looking trans am...the lady in the passenger side looked over ..and i could very clearly see her mouth the words...thats the new mustang to the driver...windows were up on there car..it was a cold morning ....i will never forget that moment
Old 8/8/05, 05:49 PM
V6 Member

Yeah, great writing. Reminds me a bit of the quality writing one might read in..er..uh...penthouse, or magazines of that nature..so i've been told..by er..uh...friends or acquaintences..

It was so good I'm smoking a cigarette now!!
Old 8/8/05, 06:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by holeshot@August 8, 2005, 1:19 PM
do you write romance novels??

That was a good one Holeshot!

Great story eighty6gt! Feel free to write more.
Old 8/8/05, 08:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's excellent! Kinda reminds me of Sunday morning when I was driving to a Mustang car show. Going down some of these open roads on the way to the highway with a clear sunny sky was awesome.

Quick Reply: Just a morning cruise