2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Journalist Drives the 05

Search this Thread

Old 7/16/04, 04:41 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by TomServo92@July 16, 2004, 1:17 PM
Let's not forget the ever-popular hp/liter argument! At least the import crowd can't brag anymore about how variable cam timing makes their Civics superior.
shhhhh!...don't tell anyone! VTEC stickers are good for at least 35 HP!!
Old 7/16/04, 10:11 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Piston NV@July 16, 2004, 4:36 PM
get ready Ponyboys & girls...

Motor Trend's Car of the Year -- 2005 Ford Mustang
We've already had this discussion. I hope you're right, but I'll bet you a dollar that it will be the 300C.
Old 7/16/04, 10:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Wombert@July 16, 2004, 4:33 AM
This new Mustang is so tight, fast and sleek, some Europeans might want to swap their Carreras for a Ford. Sure, that's unheard of, like a guy in Munich dumping Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest for Miller Lite.
haha ^^ I'm from Munich, and the only beer I ever drink is Augustiner.

Great Article tho, thank you man!

-edit-

never viewed the Augustiner Website before... it's nice, just check out the English Flash Version
This new Mustang is so tight, fast and sleek, some Europeans might want to swap their Carreras for a Ford. Sure, that's unheard of, like a guy in Munich dumping Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest for Miller Lite.

I was going to say that was the best line in the article..

I love Munich... and beer too!
Old 7/16/04, 10:52 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Lets not be too hard on the guy. Even if he is imbellishing the truth, he obviously loves the new stang. I mean, he's one of us. Lets look after our own and instead, pick on guys who put down a mustang because its not a BMW such as Brock Yates.
Old 7/17/04, 12:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Galaxie@July 16, 2004, 1:06 PM
Kev I agree...

who better to review a Mustang than someone who actually likes them.
I would answer that rhetorical question by saying: someone who has no bias one way OR the other towards Mustangs is the best person to review the car. More objectivity means a better review overall for the majority of the public.

OF COURSE we fans are going to give thumbs up more often than not.

On that note, lemmie give the new 'Stang a thumbs-up:
Old 7/17/04, 12:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Mberglo@July 16, 2004, 10:50 AM
It reads as though the author just finished high school. He certainly has no experience in a Nextel cup car, probably has never driven a Lexus, and might not be able to list three Ferrari models. I'm sure the 05 is an improvement over the current model, but geez, it's still a Ford.

Note: I like Fords, but I just don't get disillusioned by the hype.
I don't get that "he just finished high school." I think it's just his stylistic choice. If he'd just finished high school, he wouldn't be writing a column for that paper. His style is actually quite specific - targeted to young, male car fans.

On the other hand, clearly he hasn't driven a Nextel Cup car or a Ferrari, and I question if he's ever closely inspected a Lexus. :scratch: Though the review gets me fired up too, it's kind of a worthless piece of journalism...objectivity-wise.

Now, if a concensus of the car mags start saying similar things - THEN we've got something to cheer about.

Fingers crossed.
Old 7/17/04, 04:03 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well Seeing as how I got to sit in an 05 for 20 Minutes, Uninterupted due to Rain yesterday, I must admit, the 05 might not be a lexus, but it's far from unrefined! This Car looks better and feels more comfortable and solid inisde than the Infinity G35 Coupe, No B.S.! The Side Windows Drop 1/4" automaticaly to ensure a proper seal, like most of your fine European cars, The Materials inside are also Light Years Ahead of anything I have Seen Made in America and Nearly as Nice as Most Euro or Japanese Imports. Even the Leather on the Seats is Closer to BMW grade than anything I have seen, Lexus and Infinity included! This car is going to set GM and Chrysler on their Ears!

As for his Coments such as, It's Like a Nextel Cup Car, and Handles Like a Ferrari, Hello? Most People have no real experience in either of these fields but if you are a car enthusiast you have a pretty good Idea what he is talking about, Or at least your own Idea how both of these would feel to you. These are mearly Metaphores, used to give you a sense of how he felt. Lighten up people, at least this guy was excited about this car and decided to express it colorfully. He could have just as easily have ripped it to shreds.

Honestly though, go look at an Infinity G35 Coupe and then at an 05 Mustang, I'll take an 05 GT any Day over the Infinity. It doesn't hurt that it's A Lot More Roomy Inside Too!
Old 7/17/04, 08:19 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

yeah you tell em tampabear! i was considering getting a G35 coupe until we got the production photos and info on the 05 stang. i think the infinity is a great car for its class but its not a musclecar which is what i love. i do like the infinity styling. it has the classic fastback lines IMO. but thats just my 2 cents worth. but i hope the 300doesnt win the COY it might be a good car and all but its still a chrysler and only the 300C w/ the hemi is worth noting.
Old 7/17/04, 08:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by hdwrench+July 17, 2004, 6:31 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hdwrench @ July 17, 2004, 6:31 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Wombert@July 16, 2004, 4:33 AM

-edit-

never viewed the Augustiner Website before... it's nice, just check out the English Flash Version

I love Munich... and beer too! [/b][/quote]
Nice to hear that. How often have you been here? Munich is the only place in the world I could ever live in... I won't ever go away from here. But... well, okay, I really love London, and I have yet to see a lot of places on this planet (including Australia and the USA)
Old 7/17/04, 08:57 AM
GT Member

Remember, we are talking about getting a replacement for a car that was designed while Mustang II's were roaming the earth. Modern, cad deigned and FEA modeled. This think is going to kick hiney.
Old 7/17/04, 10:46 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Dan@July 16, 2004, 10:55 PM
Lets look after our own and instead, pick on guys who put down a mustang because its not a BMW such as Brock Yates.
Yates is a tool, but he serves his purpose - among the CD crew, he's kind of like that lunatic uncle in your family that no one wants to talk about, who's always showing up at Thanksgiving.

Having driven BMWs for the last 8 years, I can say they're great cars in many ways, however Ford has me wanting a Mustang because it's exactly what a BMW isn't: simple, affordable, and V-8 powered.
Old 7/17/04, 12:54 PM
Cobra Member

I think the 05 Mustang has a serious advantage on the 300C in that it is an American icon and is way more important to the automotive industry than a rehashed sedan (that many people think is hideous, by the way).
Old 7/17/04, 08:06 PM
Cobra Member

Maybe, but a couple of the major mags have already called it the car that will save DC. We'll see.

As for Yates, I've been reading him fo close to 40 years. Sometimes I love him, sometimes I hate him, but lately I just find him pompous. David E. Davis from Automobile is in the same category. Yep, I subscribe to both of them.
Old 7/17/04, 08:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Wombert+July 17, 2004, 8:50 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Wombert @ July 17, 2004, 8:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by hdwrench@July 17, 2004, 6:31 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Wombert
@July 16, 2004, 4:33 AM

-edit-

I love Munich... and beer too!
Nice to hear that. How often have you been here? Munich is the only place in the world I could ever live in... I won't ever go away from here. But... well, okay, I really love London, and I have yet to see a lot of places on this planet (including Australia and the USA) [/b][/quote]
Ive been there 3 times i think. It was all during a 3 month trip to europe when i had a eurail pass. It was a while ago...1990.
Old 7/17/04, 08:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dr Iven@July 17, 2004, 12:57 PM
I think the 05 Mustang has a serious advantage on the 300C in that it is an American icon and is way more important to the automotive industry than a rehashed sedan (that many people think is hideous, by the way).
The 300 was and still is, WAAAY before the Mustang. It just got killed then brought back like the GTO. Except it was way more, well, better.
Old 7/17/04, 08:42 PM
Cobra Member

Ok, I've driven a Rolls-Royce, sat in an S55 and I sat in the Mustang mule...let me just say that the quality of the Mustang might not be Rolls level, but it is darn near close, and is definetly on par with the Benz.

The '05 is going to be lightyears beyond the SN95, as it was basically a hashed together car on a 25 year old chassis...

Looking at the whole process going into the S197, it was designed by a guy who designed for European car companies, engineered by certified car nuts, and, well, its Bill Ford's baby...of course this car is gonna rock! :headbang:

I'd place my '05 against a 5-series anyday
Old 7/17/04, 09:30 PM
Bullitt Member

"Let's not forget the ever-popular hp/liter argument!"

guess i missed that one. all i know is yamaha can get 180hp outta their liter bike (998cc)... THAT is a bad SOB.
Old 7/17/04, 10:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by scottie1113+July 16, 2004, 11:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (scottie1113 @ July 16, 2004, 11:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Piston NV@July 16, 2004, 4:36 PM
get ready Ponyboys & girls...

Motor Trend's Car of the Year -- 2005 Ford Mustang
We've already had this discussion. I hope you're right, but I'll bet you a dollar that it will be the 300C. [/b][/quote]
I'll take that bet
Old 7/17/04, 10:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Robert+July 17, 2004, 1:03 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robert @ July 17, 2004, 1:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Galaxie@July 16, 2004, 1:06 PM
Kev I agree...

who better to review a Mustang than someone who actually likes them.
I would answer that rhetorical question by saying: someone who has no bias one way OR the other towards Mustangs is the best person to review the car. More objectivity means a better review overall for the majority of the public.

OF COURSE we fans are going to give thumbs up more often than not.

On that note, lemmie give the new 'Stang a thumbs-up: [/b][/quote]
I will take a MM&FF review of the car over MT or C&D ANY DAY
Old 7/17/04, 10:30 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the article - I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Journalistic Hyperbole aside, it looks and soudns really good.

-B

Quick Reply: Journalist Drives the 05