2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Journalist Drives the 05

Search this Thread

Old 7/16/04, 01:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I pulled this peice out of an article in the Charlotte Observer 7/15 written by Don Hudson.

I looped Interstate 277 in a red Mustang GT and it's a little like a Nextel Cup car -- the faster you go, the better it gets. What's more, it lives up to its rococo looks. It's built like a Lexus, handles like a Ferrari and the V-8 sounds like, well... vintage Detroit.

For the whole article http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/liv.../9162937.htm?1c

FULL STORY POSTED BELOW AS WELL. B)

I'm totally beside myself "handles like a ferrari" I've never driven a ferrari but if the 05 is that good, we will here more of this from motortrend, autoweek etc. :drive:
Old 7/16/04, 01:10 AM
Cobra R Member

dude, can you post the rest of the article? its a local newspaper and requires you to become a member what with a password and full address and everything... it'd be much easier for all of us if you could just post the entire article.
not that i have anything against The Charlotte Observer... i just don't think much of the local news will help me out a lot
Old 7/16/04, 01:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

Hey iceman, you'll need to copy and post, this is a subscribers site and we can't read the article...

-Darth
Old 7/16/04, 01:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

I did not have to register to read it, but here it nevertheless...

New 'Stang is killer, the soul of U.S. cars

DON HUDSON

The Guy Journal

Most everybody has that certain car they will never forget, the gang's ride, the one everybody piled in for a road trip or the drive-in. Ours was a green 1967 Mustang convertible, owned by my friend, Mike Lopez.

We were college students in Atlanta in the late '70s, and used Mike's Mustang for every road trip we took. One weekend, four of us took off for Tallahassee to see a girl.

She blew us off.

But the next day, with the top down, within an hour we had three Florida State coeds on board. They took us to a party with a band, food, more coeds (it was FSU, after all) and free beer. It wasn't us, either. We were as geeky as they come.

It was that car, a babe magnet.

So when Ford invited me to see the 2005 Mustang, I bit. I'd seen press photos of it, and thought it was the best-looking 'Stang since Ford's pony car was birthed in 1964.

Seeing a pre-production model earlier this week felt like a road trip back to Tallahassee, Auburn, Athens and all the other college towns we visited in Mike's drop top.

While those original Mustangs had a hint of Italy in them (think Sophia Loren in sheet metal), the new car is even curvier. The photos don't do it justice -- Observer photographer Wendy Yang thought it was a European exotic.

The dash and big circular gauges have real metal details. The exterior skin, from Ford designer J. Mays' studios, has the futuristic retro look that the Ford T-bird started a few years back.

But style isn't everything. You've got to have horses and handling to have street cred.

Auto journalists haven't been allowed to pen driving impressions of the Mustang because Ford is being secretive. But since I am not an auto writer, here's the 411:

This car is very cool.

I looped Interstate 277 in a red Mustang GT and it's a little like a Nextel Cup car -- the faster you go, the better it gets. What's more, it lives up to its rococo looks. It's built like a Lexus, handles like a Ferrari and the V-8 sounds like, well... vintage Detroit.

This car roars back to the days when pony cars ruled the Earth. Back then, nobody interested in performance wanted a BMW or Mercedes. Back then, a Shelby Mustang or a Camaro SS or Hemi 'Cuda were among the coolest cars in the world.

Those were great cars, and the hefty price tags they bring today reflects that.

To me, Detroit hasn't mass-produced cars that stir the emotions since the muscle car era ended. Sure, there have been some Z-28s and the occasional Viper, but not a lot else in a era dominated by SUVs and pickups.

The Big Three have been turning out uninspired copycats since the '70s oil crisis, which is why most anyone would rather have a Z-car or Lexus. If you can't afford one of those, a Toyota or Honda feels more solid than most domestics.

This Mustang addresses a lot of that.

Ford says the frame is 31 percent stiffer than the previous generation, and it feels it. This new Mustang is so tight, fast and sleek, some Europeans might want to swap their Carreras for a Ford. Sure, that's unheard of, like a guy in Munich dumping Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest for Miller Lite.

But this car is that good. It couldn't happen to a better icon.

To me, the Mustang is the most important American car since Henry Ford built the Model T. Sure, the Corvette is legendary, and Chrysler made those minivans. But the Mustang, and the pony cars it spawned, are the soul of American cars.

Granted, I am biased.

I grew up in a Ford family, and the Mustang was the first car I ever fell in love with.

A lot of other people did, too. Ford says 8 million have been sold, half to women. Even the chief executive of womanizers, Bill Clinton, had the ultimate chick magnet -- a baby-blue 1967 Mustang convertible.

But my favorite is Mike's car.

Mike died 18 years ago, and I haven't seen our car since.

I called his mom a couple months ago. I asked about his car. It's sitting in her garage, waiting for her granddaughter to restore and drive it.

When I fired the engine on the red 2005 Mustang the other day, I grinned, glad Detroit is turning out thoroughbreds again.
Old 7/16/04, 04:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

This new Mustang is so tight, fast and sleek, some Europeans might want to swap their Carreras for a Ford. Sure, that's unheard of, like a guy in Munich dumping Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest for Miller Lite.
haha ^^ I'm from Munich, and the only beer I ever drink is Augustiner.

Great Article tho, thank you man!

-edit-

never viewed the Augustiner Website before... it's nice, just check out the English Flash Version
Old 7/16/04, 05:06 AM
GT Member

Great article!

I will be starting a new job as a salesman at the local FORD dealership next month...really excited about selling the new Mustangs...can't wait for all the test drives
Old 7/16/04, 05:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well, it SOUNDS terrific.

Still, forgive me for being cynical, but I wonder if this writer has ever driven a Ferrari or sat in a Lexus.

Sounds like a wee bit of a stretch to me...
Old 7/16/04, 05:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Nice review. I also think that the Ferrari reference is a stretch, but hey I can't blame him since he went into it liking Mustangs (just like many of us). His review makes me think it will out-perform other cars in it's price range, and be really fun to drive - cool !!!. Thanks for finding and posting the article
Old 7/16/04, 05:36 AM
GT Member

Nice article, maybe a bit exagerated, but I like !
Old 7/16/04, 05:39 AM
Bullitt Member

This says it all :

The Mustang is the most important American car since Henry Ford built the Model T. Sure, the Corvette is legendary, and Chrysler made those minivans. But the Mustang, and the pony cars it spawned, are the soul of American cars
BTW ..of course the references to Nextel car, Ferrari, etc are a stretch, but when have any car reviews never stretched a little bit ?

Good find ...
Old 7/16/04, 05:40 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by snkbtn99@July 16, 2004, 5:42 AM
This says it all :

The Mustang is the most important American car since Henry Ford built the Model T. Sure, the Corvette is legendary, and Chrysler made those minivans. But the Mustang, and the pony cars it spawned, are the soul of American cars
No comment here The truth is out HERE !!
Old 7/16/04, 06:12 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great read... just makes the wait harder.
Old 7/16/04, 06:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

great article.

:worship:

i can't wait. B)
Old 7/16/04, 08:15 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Good read. Makes me anxious for more writeups and especially test drives of the new stang!
Old 7/16/04, 08:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for posting the article. That was a great read. I know the guy's a bit biased in favor of Mustangs, but it sounds optimistic that the new car is a great drive. I'm looking forward to the car mag reviews of the '05. Hopefully they'll start appearing in the next month or two.
Old 7/16/04, 08:29 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dude! Awesome! Charlotte is like two hours away from me! I'm going to pick up the Observer in a little bit so I'll see if there are any pictures!

EDIT: Just saw the date. 7/15 Darn. Oh well.
Old 7/16/04, 09:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by os121@July 16, 2004, 6:35 AM
Nice review. I also think that the Ferrari reference is a stretch, but hey I can't blame him since he went into it liking Mustangs (just like many of us). His review makes me think it will out-perform other cars in it's price range, and be really fun to drive - cool !!!. Thanks for finding and posting the article
Sounds like a human review to me, Instead of shrewd Saab fanatic C&D review.

Hes from the era where real Ferraris have the V12 up front.
Old 7/16/04, 10:47 AM
Cobra Member

It reads as though the author just finished high school. He certainly has no experience in a Nextel cup car, probably has never driven a Lexus, and might not be able to list three Ferrari models. I'm sure the 05 is an improvement over the current model, but geez, it's still a Ford.

Note: I like Fords, but I just don't get disillusioned by the hype.
Old 7/16/04, 10:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Mberglo@July 16, 2004, 10:50 AM
It reads as though the author just finished high school. He certainly has no experience in a Nextel cup car, probably has never driven a Lexus, and might not be able to list three Ferrari models. I'm sure the 05 is an improvement over the current model, but geez, it's still a Ford.

Note: I like Fords, but I just don't get disillusioned by the hype.
Freakin Killjoy ..... It's still a Ford
This reads like any other C&D, R&T, Auto magaznie out there. It just go on and on about, Bimmers, Mercs, etc ....

It's nice to see the enthusiasm. Hopefully you do not tak eeverything that you read so literally.
Old 7/16/04, 11:01 AM
Bullitt Member

The only articles stretched more than that are the articles about imports in those car magazines.

Quick Reply: Journalist Drives the 05