2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Joined the bent pony club today

Search this Thread

Old 3/12/06, 12:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

My daughter was coming home from college today and it was the fIrst really good day to take the Stang out of the garage. So we high tailed it to the Milwaukee train station to pick her up. After coming off the highway, I was getting ready to make a left when we heard an ambulance siren coming on the cross street. After the ambulance cleared the intersection, I check both ways, check the oncoming traffic, where there was a long line of cars, the first one also signaling to make a left. As we both start to go, an SUV comes up the parking (or right) lane, passing the stopped cars. I'm already committed at this point. I goosed the gas and almost made it, but she clipped me in the right rear.

Fender is caved in above the right wheel, right door is also damaged and won't open. Rim is scraped to heck and the tire ripped open. There may be damage to the top mechanism as well, as the top is loose on that side.

Drove the car to the nearest dealer on the spare and it felt ok, so hopefully the repairs will be just sheet metal [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crying.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crying.gif[/img] No one was at the body shop on a Saturday, so this will be a long distance repair estimate. Unfortunately the accident occurred about a 100 miles from home. We had to get a rental so we could get home.

Nobody was hurt and the car took the hit as well as could be expected.

What was interesting was the lack of interest by the police. When we called 911, they asked if anyone was hurt. When we said no, they said just exchange information! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] Then a passing squad car stopped by, they took some info, but no-one was issued any citations at the scene. We were pretty much left to our own resources to get the accident cleaned up and get help for towing, etc.
Old 3/12/06, 01:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

When I had my crash the CA police woulnd't come either. I dialed 911 and they asked me if anybody was injured or if any other property was damaged (home, buisness, etc ...). I said no to both. The 911 operator told me that the Police will not be dispatched unless one of those conditions were met. They told me to just exchange info. Good grief !!

Good thing I had a disposable camera in the car at the time.

Here's one shot of the accident

You can view all the crash pics here http://www.deviarts.com/crash.html

Moral of the tale is that make sure you have some device (camera, phone, etc) that can take photos in the car or on you at all times. It might just prove your innocense in an accident and save you a ton of money.

BTW, the other driver was at fault and I think the pictures helped proove it since there was no police report.
Old 3/12/06, 09:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Sorry to hear the bad luck, and Im glad no one was hurt.

I don't think there's any way to avoid a lawyer when he's hot on the trail of an ambulance. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 3/12/06, 10:10 AM
Bullitt Member

sorry to hear about your car!

I have been seeing way to much sloppy driving latley, in just the past few months I have had people make right turns from the left lane forcing me to lock em up, and passing on the right shoulder happens too much anymore
Old 3/12/06, 10:42 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks man. I'm not sure why so many Mustangs are getting caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sure does seem like we're a target though.
Old 3/12/06, 11:46 AM
Cobra Member

Sorry to hear about this. She'll be fine. Glad no one was hurt.
Old 3/12/06, 12:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

darn man im sorry. not that it will make you feel any better but i found a ding in my driver side rear qtr panel yesterday jsut past the door. someone hit me hard. its a shame ppl dont care for others property.
Old 3/12/06, 03:17 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(94tbird @ March 12, 2006, 1:14 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
darn man im sorry. not that it will make you feel any better but i found a ding in my driver side rear qtr panel yesterday jsut past the door. someone hit me hard. its a shame ppl dont care for others property.
[/b][/quote]

I still have the paper dealer tags on my '06 and already got a nasty door ding. I was sick about it until I searched out "door ding repair" on the 'net. I got a website for a business that specializes in this kind of "paintless dent repair" and called them. They fixed it yesterday and it is back to perfect! Like freakin' magic--the crease was gone. Check out their site: http://www.e-mobileworks.com/

I'm in Houston and I'm sure there are companies like this in every big city.
Best $85.00 I ever spent! They came to my house to do the work and it took only twenty minutes.

I wish I had before and after pics--sorry. Hopefully your sent isn't too big to fix this way.
Old 3/13/06, 08:03 AM
V6 Member

When 911 ask’s if anyone is hurt say YES! Shooting pain, numbness WHATEVER. Have PD respond and if need be get checked out. Especially if it is the other guys fault! Twofold, you get the PD to do an investigation AND you have competent ?? Medical assistance at the scene so you can get it on record if you have to go to court and sue the reckless driver! Hate to sound like a lawyer but with today’s class of people, you need to cover you ****! Good luck
Old 3/13/06, 08:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow, where I live, the police respond to every accident, no matter how severe. I don't live in a big city though. In today's society it is too easy to change you story and then its your word against his. A disposable camera is probably the only solution.
Old 3/13/06, 10:02 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it won't take to long to get her back on the street.
Old 4/11/06, 01:21 PM

Advice on accidents from someone in the middle of small claims suit.

Take your car to an independent body shop. No insurance "preferred" shops. they will underquote and underwork. State Farm lies.

Also if it was the other person's fault you can demand Diminished Value. your 'repaired' car will lose value the day it is hit.

u will find this out when u got to trade it in.

good luck collecting. u may have to file a suit against the driver.