Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Jeremy Clarkson is an idiot...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=O9mNzhHp-6s
Old 12/5/06, 03:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We already know that http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...958#post792958

Btw, that's a nice video you found there!
Old 12/5/06, 04:19 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just finished watching the full 59 minutes video last night, and i wish there was a way to mute jeremy clarkson and enjoy the show, because he sure is one annoying ignorant SOB.

"mistaking" the V6 for a GT seriously did **** me off, but what's the point?he still trashed the Roush Mustang and GT500

i'm glad he liked the Ford GT, or i would have probably smashed my monitor
Old 12/5/06, 07:05 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
hahah its gotta be a joke.

I love people who take Clarkson so seriously....
I think they do a lot of what they do..JUST to get people all fired up
hahah

You honestly think he would mistakingly mix up the V6 and the GT
Old 12/5/06, 08:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by G.T
I just finished watching the full 59 minutes video last night, and i wish there was a way to mute jeremy clarkson and enjoy the show, because he sure is one annoying ignorant SOB.

"mistaking" the V6 for a GT seriously did **** me off, but what's the point?he still trashed the Roush Mustang and GT500

i'm glad he liked the Ford GT, or i would have probably smashed my monitor
He hated his Ford GT, Ford bought it back, and he bought it back again.
Old 12/5/06, 09:09 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
He hated how the aftermarket alarm (needed to insure it in the UK) kept going off in the middle of the night.
They couldn't fix it, so he sold it back to them.

He bought it back.

The car he absolutely loves... it was the other BS he hated.

Guys on TGear always bug him about it too because it keeps giving him problems. Running outta gas/breaking down for whatever reason.
Old 12/5/06, 09:38 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
hahah its gotta be a joke.

I love people who take Clarkson so seriously....
I think they do a lot of what they do..JUST to get people all fired up
hahah

You honestly think he would mistakingly mix up the V6 and the GT
It may be all a joke, but to people in other countries who have never driven or likely even seen an American car except on TV, how do they know it is supposed to be a joke when he keeps saying "American cars are crap"?

As for mixing up a V6 and a GT, I`ve noticed on Top Gear, they get a lot of details about American cars wrong anyway and it seems like they really don`t care. I guess they think their main audience (non-US viewers) really won`t know the difference anyway...
Old 12/5/06, 09:59 AM
Cam Tease

Yeah, confusing a GT with a V6 is not only a ****ty joke, but dishonest and misleading journalism.
Old 12/5/06, 10:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Could it have been a pre-production model? How old was this episode?
Remember the GT500 prototype that Shelby and Thang had in a promo video filmed in the winter? It was basically a V6 S-197 that could peel out upon command.
Old 12/5/06, 12:47 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
Could it have been a pre-production model? How old was this episode?
It's not from a TopGear episode, but from JC's latest DVD, "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly". It was released in Europe last month.
Old 12/5/06, 01:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeremy said he had never made a successful round trip in his Ford GT because it breaks down every time he takes it out. Gotta love that kind of free advertising!!
Old 12/5/06, 01:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by shatter
Jeremy said he had never made a successful round trip in his Ford GT because it breaks down every time he takes it out. Gotta love that kind of free advertising!!
"It's not a Lexus, you get what you pay for" oh wait, $150k USD?
Old 12/5/06, 02:37 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Funny how we haven't heard that from anywhere else, just this guy.

OPERATOR ERROR!

In the early computer days we'd call this a RTFM error.

It stands for READ THE *UCKIN MANUAL error.

Old 12/5/06, 03:04 PM
Cobra Member

After living with Brits for some time overseas I came to know Clarkson's type. He pretty much dogs on anything American. Why?

I personally beleive it's just National Elitism... a sort of racist, if you will, view of anyone (or thing) that comes from America.

If it comes from pretty much anywhere other than the US it's cool... but if it's American then it must be crap because America is a thorn in his side for some reason.

I'm really not sure why some Brits are like this... mind you they are in the minority. For the most part the Brits are a great friendly people. But there are always some.

Anyway I still like the Top Gear show but I much prefer the other guy to Clarkson. And I simply can't watch it when he drives anything American because it's just annoying.
Old 12/5/06, 05:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq06eUNlyzI

Here's his GT500 vs. Roush stage 3 bit. Get's it wrong here too. Says the Shelby is a 4.6.
Old 12/5/06, 06:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by rocket88

Here's his GT500 vs. Roush stage 3 bit. Get's it wrong here too. Says the Shelby is a 4.6.

When hes driving the 1968 GT390 he says the owner has had it stroked to 420bhp... implying it was 390hp?

He also says it has 4-wheel drums, so how come my buddys 67 GT390 has front discs? (I know he never upgraded the brakes, and i dont think the previous owner did, since it was sitting in a barn under a few hundred pounds of hay when he bought it).

He was wrong with so many things about the GT500 i dont know where to start.
Old 12/5/06, 06:30 PM
Cobra Member

yeah he really did get a lot of facts wrong, but I still liked watching them all go around the track. Thanks for the videos
Old 12/5/06, 11:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
Funny how we haven't heard that from anywhere else, just this guy.

OPERATOR ERROR!

In the early computer days we'd call this a RTFM error.

It stands for READ THE *UCKIN MANUAL error.

My IT buddies would call it a POAK (pronounced POKE) error aka Problem Originates At Keyboard.
Old 12/6/06, 12:42 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by rocket88

In all fairness, however, he loved the GT390, so we know he doesn't abjectly hate EVERY American car. And he clearly LOVED the Roush. And he loved BOTH GTs, especially the 700 HP version.

However, his engine and engine displacement misquotes with respect to the new Stang are likely going to come back to haunt him.

Overall, however, I think he just expects that American automakers ought to be doing better. As do many others, when you read around this board.

I mean, honestly, who uses live axles in performance cars anymore? That's "beancounter engineering," not state-of-the-art 21st century engineering.

My favorite quote from Clarkson in that video >> "This thing sits an inch lower than the standard Mustang, and it's 35% stiffer...and if I'm honest, so am I."

Old 12/6/06, 04:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I mean, honestly, who uses live axles in performance cars anymore? That's "beancounter engineering," not state-of-the-art 21st century engineering.
I see nothing wrong with live axles. We use them everywhere in the US: trucks, vans, and high performance cars. They are inexpensive, simple, durable but crude. I think people want their cake and eat it too: fancy IRS that can handle 480 ft-lb of torque. It can be done, but at a significant price. Ford Motor Company was started with the idea of having an affordable vehicle in every driveway. The Ford GT, while nice, seemed to go against the grain of Henry Ford's vision. However, the S-197 GT and the Shelby GT500 have this vision in the spirit of the car. 300 hp, 0-60 in under 6 seconds, 1/4 mile in the 13s, bone stock for $24k-$25k new (stripper GT Deluxe). It's quite difficult to find another car with similar factory warrantied performance characteristics that can be bought at that price off the showroom floor. I'm open to either setup (IRS or live-axle) so long as it is durable. Didn't the 1999 Cobra have IRS? I recall reading about someone's 99 Cobra (on Corral) losing the IRS on the highway and having his Cobra wrapped around a telephone pole.

So when are we (Americans) going to make a Top Gear-style show that makes fun of European cars every 5 minutes? "The Mini Cooper's dash looks like someone stole it off a British naval vessel"

Quick Reply: Jeremy Clarkson is an idiot...