2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

January Car and Driver

Search this Thread

Old 12/7/04, 07:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, in a slap of the face to all you people who claim American automotive press, and mainly Car and Driver are poor cheap, rags, etc, they named the 05 to their Ten Best List AND gave it the win over an LS2 GTO.

The Mustang got more praise than anything in the magazine and it was awesome.

Everyone go buy the issue, and those of you who claim the "rag" is in the pocket of foreign cars go bite your tongue.
Old 12/7/04, 07:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Come on!!! Get excited, this is good news!!!!!!!!! 10-Best and it beat the 05 GTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12/7/04, 08:03 AM
mav
GT Member

Old 12/7/04, 08:49 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
It must have pained C & D to offer the praise. Regardless, that French owned POS magazine won't see a nickel of my money.
Old 12/7/04, 09:02 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by mav@December 7, 2004, 9:06 AM
C&D's 10 Best is a joke. These are 2005's 10 Best:

Luxury Sedan: Acura RL
Sports Sedan: Acura TSX
Luxury Sports Sedan: BMW 3 Series/M3
Performance Car: Chevy Corvette
Full Size Sedan: Chrysler 300C
Wagon: Dodge Magnum
Muscle Car: Ford Mustang GT
Family Sedan: Honda Accord
Sports Coupe: Mazda RX-8
Luxury Sports Car: Mercedes SLK350

Comments...

The Acura RL as the best luxury sedan? My vote would have gone to the BMW 5 Series. Acura TSX is the best sports sedan? The TSX is nothing more than the Honda Accord with a slightly different look. In fact, it is the Honda Accord in Europe. My vote would have gone to the Infiniti G35 Sedan. The 3 Series/M3 as the best luxury sports sedan? The M3 is available in couple only! My vote would have gone to the M3's big brother... the almighty M5. The Corvette as the best performance car? Obviously C&D has never heard of Ferrari or Porsche. The RX-8 as the best sports coupe? The RX-8 is not a coupe, it has 4 doors! I would have gone with the 350Z or Corvette. The SLK as the best luxury sports car? The SLK is over-rated. I would have gone with the M3 (although its more of a GT car than a true sports car) or the new Boxster.
dont forget that mercedes builds crap now
they reliability and quality is horrendous
Old 12/7/04, 09:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Comments...

The Acura RL as the best luxury sedan? My vote would have gone to the BMW 5 Series. Acura TSX is the best sports sedan? The TSX is nothing more than the Honda Accord with a slightly different look. In fact, it is the Honda Accord in Europe. My vote would have gone to the Infiniti G35 Sedan. The 3 Series/M3 as the best luxury sports sedan? The M3 is available in couple only! My vote would have gone to the M3's big brother... the almighty M5. The Corvette as the best performance car? Obviously C&D has never heard of Ferrari or Porsche. The RX-8 as the best sports coupe? The RX-8 is not a coupe, it has 4 doors! I would have gone with the 350Z or Corvette. The SLK as the best luxury sports car? The SLK is over-rated. I would have gone with the M3 (although its more of a GT car than a true sports car) or the new Boxster.
Just because you don't agree with C&D doesn't make it a bad publication. I don't even think you understand the ranking system used by C&D to rank the cars (nor does anyone but the mag get it either). Something tells me value, performance, and overall quality get the most points with a bonus for style and uniqueness. You'll find most the cars on that Top 10 have most those bases covered.

I believe the Top 10 lists are geared more for a typical consumer and not someone that can go out and by car with change found in the sofa. The vast majority of consumers make between $30k to $60k a year... In almost every case all the cars in the Top 10 can be had by consumers in this income range.

But more to the point... If you hate the mag why bother?

Not tryin too be a butt about this... But really it's a waste of breath to rant on about how bad a mag is. If you don't like it don't read it or rant on about it.
Old 12/7/04, 09:07 AM
Cobra Member

news TV stations are INCREDIBLY biased against Ford

youl see something like this

"whisper"8 trillion hondas self destruct after having theyre oil change ..honda denies everything

UP NEXT.. FORD RECALLED EVERYTHING!!! IN THE NEXT 4 HOURS WEL DISCUSS EVERY FORD RECALL AND INTERVIEW THE POOR OWNERS! 250K TARUSES HAVE DEFECTIVE SEAT RAILS!!

meanwhile on the side of the road people are getting barbequed by CRV's lol
Old 12/7/04, 09:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Just because you don't agree with C&D doesn't make it a bad publication. I don't even think you understand the ranking system used by C&D to rank the cars (nor does anyone but the mag get it either). Something tells me value, performance, and overall quality get the most points with a bonus for style and uniqueness. You'll find most the cars on that Top 10 have most those bases covered.

I believe the Top 10 lists are geared more for a typical consumer and not someone that can go out and by car with change found in the sofa. The vast majority of consumers make between $30k to $60k a year... In almost every case all the cars in the Top 10 can be had by consumers in this income range.

But more to the point... If you hate the mag why bother?

Not tryin too be a butt about this... But really it's a waste of breath to rant on about how bad a mag is. If you don't like it don't read it or rant on about it.
Finally someone who gets it. Look, just because you read the headline for the 10 best doesn't mean you can assume anything. Stadifer has it right. God Dam dude, they have a sidebar in the 10-Best article claiming just this point. They look for absolute domination of a class of cars, and that means price as well. How else do you explain that the Focue was there for 5 years???? You are an idiot if you think otherwise Mav and 1 Bullitt. If the list were the best performing cars out there it would be a joke list made up of the GT supercar, ferarris, lambos and porsches. There's a reason this magazine is the most read, best written and most talked about out there. Go read "automobile" and think you're a journalist some more.
Old 12/7/04, 09:45 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah its an amazing joke that the corvette is a credible contender at about a quarter of the cost. heck the Ford GT is cheaper than the entry level Ferrarri.

There is a little more parity with Porsche however.

I think the vette is a good choice for 10 best. Can anyone tell me a car that offers the same or better all around performance at an equal or cheaper price.
Old 12/7/04, 11:36 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by jcopin@December 7, 2004, 10:10 AM
news TV stations are INCREDIBLY biased against Ford

youl see something like this

"whisper"8 trillion hondas self destruct after having theyre oil change ..honda denies everything

UP NEXT.. FORD RECALLED EVERYTHING!!! IN THE NEXT 4 HOURS WEL DISCUSS EVERY FORD RECALL AND INTERVIEW THE POOR OWNERS! 250K TARUSES HAVE DEFECTIVE SEAT RAILS!!

meanwhile on the side of the road people are getting barbequed by CRV's lol
I hear ya! Honda is blaming those fires on the people doing the oil changes. However, after reading the posts on a few Honda boards many people have watched their CR-Vs burn to the ground after having the oil changed by an "expert" Honda service dept. as recommended by the big giant "H".

The TSX is the Accord in Europe and I can't believe people here pay nearly $30k for that car. I'll take my Mazda6 over it any day and use the extra thousands of dollars for better things. Like a down payment on a Mustang!

The Mazda6 was on their 10Best list last year and that category seems to be gone now. Would have been nice to see it there again next to it's assembly line-mate.
Old 12/7/04, 11:43 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

yeah dont see the big deal with hondas and acuras. nice cars yeah, but they are sooo bland. they offed me no excitment. cant wait for the mazdaspeed 6 to come out
Old 12/7/04, 11:44 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Luxury Sedan: Acura RL
Sports Sedan: Acura TSX
Luxury Sports Sedan: BMW 3 Series/M3
Performance Car: Chevy Corvette
Full Size Sedan: Chrysler 300C
Wagon: Dodge Magnum
Muscle Car: Ford Mustang GT
Family Sedan: Honda Accord
Sports Coupe: Mazda RX-8
Luxury Sports Car: Mercedes SLK350

Comments...

There is a set of rules that C&D has in order for a car to be eligible to make the Best 10 List, don't have the rules at the moment though.

Found them:
we automatically included last year’s 10Best winners. The balance of the cars are those that had been significantly redesigned or updated for 2004. Carry-over machines have already had a shot at a 10Best award. If they didn’t make it the first time, there are no second chances.
In judging the 10Best cars, Car and Driver writers used three criteria. First, all cars must have a base price no higher than $70,000, which is 2.5 times the average U.S. new-vehicle transaction price as of August, 2004. The cars must be scheduled to go on sale no later than January, 2005. And finally, the automakers must make their vehicles available in time for the writers' evaluation process in September.
Old 12/7/04, 11:55 AM
mav
GT Member

Old 12/7/04, 12:03 PM
GT Member

C&D uses 2.5 times the average auto cost to determine an upper limit on price, too. That is around $70K now, which cuts out all the exotics, which most folks will never be able to consider anyway.
Old 12/7/04, 12:22 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by conv_stang@December 7, 2004, 12:46 PM
yeah dont see the big deal with hondas and acuras. nice cars yeah, but they are sooo bland. they offed me no excitment. cant wait for the mazdaspeed 6 to come out
i call Japanese cars

genericars

like theyre all made form the same generic boring stamp

the corlla look slike the camry which looks like the solara

the sentra looks like the altima which looks like the maxima...

not very much innovation/creativity over in riceland huh?
Old 12/7/04, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by jcopin+December 7, 2004, 1:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jcopin @ December 7, 2004, 1:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-conv_stang@December 7, 2004, 12:46 PM
i call Japanese cars

genericars

like theyre all made form the same generic boring stamp

the corlla look slike the camry which looks like the solara

the sentra looks like the altima which looks like the maxima...

not very much innovation/creativity over in riceland huh? [/b][/quote]
The Solara is a Camry, its a 2 door Camry.
Old 12/7/04, 12:33 PM
Cobra Member

i know that

just further proves my point that theyre cars really dont stray too far from one another
Old 12/7/04, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by jcopin@December 7, 2004, 1:36 PM
i know that

just further proves my point that theyre cars really dont stray too far from one another
Why would the 2 door and 4 door version a car look different?
Old 12/7/04, 12:40 PM
Cobra Member

we need a 2 door 500 convertible!

w00t
Old 12/7/04, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by jcopin@December 7, 2004, 1:43 PM
we need a 2 door 500 convertible!

w00t
Why, we already have the Mustang and Thunderbird.

Quick Reply: January Car and Driver