2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IUP fiasco attempt 2

Search this Thread

Old 12/30/04, 08:00 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me try again with a more eloquent expression of the displeasure over the 18g fiasco, since my last topic was locked out. It is absolutely inappropriate to lock out a topic that is key and vital and fundamental as a topic to many hundreds of forum members who either ordered a 2005 mustang with the 18g Interior upgrade package or had plans to based on advertising from a variety of sources including ford's own web site. The heights and depths of this fiasco are not understood fully by forum members. After speaking to a manager at a Ford dealership who was particularly well versed with the 18g fiasco, the dealers received a letter NOT ONLY telling them that 18G orders were to be cancelled starting the end of december but also that IF they continued to keep or order any new 18G's, those orders would be changed to v6 mustang allocations for the dealer. Essentially, they were blackmailing them. Now in my last try at this topic, we had 2 explanations from 2 people, one said the reason was a lawsuit, the 2nd said with the SAME CERTAINITY that it was a supply issue. So which is it? And now the ford manager i talked to said in no uncertain terms that he thought that 18G was permanently DEAD. Why do u think Ford would create an 18R and tell dealers to make all 18gs 18rs if they ever planned to bring back the 18G. IRREGARDLESS OF ALL THIS MESS, this is NOT a topic that should be locked. And if the IUP is gone, my mustang sale is OVER.
Old 12/30/04, 08:03 PM
GT Member

And by the way, if the issue is a lawsuit regarding the my color guages, why then does the new 18R REMOVE the chrome dash as well? Any explanations to that?
Old 12/30/04, 08:04 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
First of all, this topic has been covered exhaustively. Your previous thread was closed because frankly, I'm tired of hearing about people complaining about the IUP shortage, and because the manner in which you posted does not reflect the reputation this site maintains.

Ford anticipated that 50% of 2005 Mustangs would be ordered with IUP, but it was closer to 80%. They ran out, so IUP orders were put on hold. Then some guy who allegedly invented MyColor and pitched it to Ford in the mid-1990s only to have Ford reject it, sued Ford for using his patented product without permission. Therefore, IUP remains on hold for the lawsuit.

As far as the dash trim not being included in "IUP Lite," maybe they're still short on supply, maybe they're saving that as an incentive to pay the extra cash when IUP does become available.
Old 12/30/04, 08:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes we understand you are upset but going crazy about is not going to solve anything. I am not happy as well but it is what it is, period. I think if you carry on this way you might get yourself booted out of here, so just a word or warning. Plus Ford does not care about you being upset because they will more than likely sell all of the apporx 185K they will build '05MY. With or Without 18G. So make your decision and move on. If Ford cancels 18G then I have plenty of plan b's, or c's, or d's when it comes to mustangs. Anyone of them I will be happy owning.
Old 12/30/04, 08:08 PM

It sounds like you already made up you mind. Why are you so mad, just don't buy it, its not like they sold you a car with the wrong options.

BTW, I think it stinks also but its just a car, take a pill man.
Old 12/30/04, 08:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

it was likely locked because there has been a long thread on this subject already, with no sure answer... last I checked the most likely answer was that it was a supply issue at this point. The lawsuit does loom, but if the plaintiff had had an injunction issued against Ford it likely wouldv'e been in newspapers, etc.

For future reference there is a search tool at the top right of the screen.

here is the thread I referred to: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....opic=11571&hl=

(fast moving thread, 7 replies since I starting typing my reply!!)
Old 12/30/04, 08:11 PM
GT Member

So essentially, because the demand on a new car is higher than anticipated, a company is allowed to introduce an interior, heavily advertise it, highlight the my color guages and chrome trim on their website and advertising, and then take orders for it and after ALL THAT to subsequently TAKE IT AWAY including to people like myself who already have orders? Sounds like writing to a government agency about false advertising is in order. It's not just a car, a car is the single biggest investment you'll make in your life other than real estate. You dont drop 30K on something and NOT GET what you ordered.
Old 12/30/04, 08:11 PM
Bullitt Member

It's almost a non issue frankly. Outside of my color, there are already tons of different options for interior enhancements. Take a look at the interior upgrade forum at the top. Panel inserts, chrome/aluminum ***** and all sorts of other stuff. All cheaper than IUP anyway. Some of the SEMA cars ditched IUP altogether and went with a total custom job that looked awesome.

Take a look at the car locator thing on the ford website. If you really want to buy a car you should be able to find something within a few hundred miles that meets your wants. If not, then complain!
Old 12/30/04, 08:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Oh, you can probably go to a dealer too, and have them contact other dealers to do a swap for a car that has IUP... if they still have one. That's another option.

check out:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=12539
Old 12/30/04, 08:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Also, there are, or at least will be if Ford no longer produces the IUP (not likely), aftermarket companies producing very similar products.
Old 12/30/04, 08:15 PM
GT Member

It is NOT a non-issue. Super-gluing after market chrome to my dash is NOT the 18g IUP package, it is not what we ordered, and it sure as heck is NOT going to cost the $400 the 18G IUP package cost to add aftermarket color changing guages. And quite frankly aftermarket is not what I want to do. It might not be a big issue to YOU but when a company doesn't deliver what they advertised and sold thats a problem to a lot of us
Old 12/30/04, 08:16 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by futurestang@December 30, 2004, 9:14 PM
So essentially, because the demand on a new car is higher than anticipated, a company is allowed to introduce an interior, heavily advertise it, highlight the my color guages and chrome trim on their website and advertising, and then take orders for it and after ALL THAT to subsequently TAKE IT AWAY including to people like myself who already have orders? Sounds like writing to a government agency about false advertising is in order. It's not just a car, a car is the single biggest investment you'll make in your life other than real estate. You dont drop 30K on something and NOT GET what you ordered.
It is Ford's hope/plan to take IUP/MyColor orders again in the near future. If Wal-Mart advertised Christmas trees for sale, and you went on December 23 only to find they were sold out, would you pitch a fit and write to Headquarters? Truth is, you're pretty late in the game. Many of the '05 owners out there placed their order in May--seven months ago. Write to whomever you want; it won't do anyone but the US Postal Service a bit of good. If you don't want a Mustang, go find another 300-hp car for $25,000 and spend your money there.
Old 12/30/04, 08:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Take it to the front door of Ford and ask to speak to Bill. Listen, companies do this all the time and killing yourself over it will not help you. Somethings in life you have no control over and this is one of them. Move on and buy something else then.
Old 12/30/04, 08:18 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the lack of IUP upsets you that much, buy another car. Maybe a GTO or SSR. I hear GM has a bunch of them.
Old 12/30/04, 08:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Besides, the IUP is practically slapped on with glue at the factory anyway. It's not chrome either, just plain aluminum, with plastic air vents.

Have you even put money down on a car? If you have and they can't deliver, talk to your dealer and see if they can work some magic for you. I put money down 2 months before they came out, and sealed me the first car into the lot. Well, the first GT into the lot at least.

/me loves to rub his red leather interior w/ IUP in peoples faces.
Old 12/30/04, 08:22 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by futurestang@December 30, 2004, 9:03 PM
Let me try again with a more eloquent expression of the displeasure over the 18g fiasco, since my last topic was locked out. It is absolutely inappropriate to lock out a topic that is key and vital and fundamental as a topic to many hundreds of forum members who either ordered a 2005 mustang with the 18g Interior upgrade package or had plans to based on advertising from a variety of sources including ford's own web site. The heights and depths of this fiasco are not understood fully by forum members. After speaking to a manager at a Ford dealership who was particularly well versed with the 18g fiasco, the dealers received a letter NOT ONLY telling them that 18G orders were to be cancelled starting the end of december but also that IF they continued to keep or order any new 18G's, those orders would be changed to v6 mustang allocations for the dealer. Essentially, they were blackmailing them. Now in my last try at this topic, we had 2 explanations from 2 people, one said the reason was a lawsuit, the 2nd said with the SAME CERTAINITY that it was a supply issue. So which is it? And now the ford manager i talked to said in no uncertain terms that he thought that 18G was permanently DEAD. Why do u think Ford would create an 18R and tell dealers to make all 18gs 18rs if they ever planned to bring back the 18G. IRREGARDLESS OF ALL THIS MESS, this is NOT a topic that should be locked. And if the IUP is gone, my mustang sale is OVER.
What's the point in restarting a thread when you have absolutely no new information to add to the IUP issue. There are a lot of people that have inside information that come to this site, once they find stuff out, they post it, by just throwing around the same rumors does not answer anyone's questions or concerns.
Old 12/30/04, 08:24 PM

A car is an investment

Did you actually buy the car? If so did they hold a gun to your head when you paid for it?

I have to tell you, your sounding like a baby who didn't get his bottle
Old 12/30/04, 08:24 PM

Hi Brad,

As the person whose opinion I most value in the short time I've been on the boards, I would like to ask your opinion...

My Mustang is on order, with the IUP. Initially I was really into the MyColor, but all things said and done, I'd do without it and be happy with the rest. In your opinion, would it better to ask my dealer to remove IUP, and just purchase the aftermarket upgrade package that I've seen posted on other threads?

Thanks for any info and help you can offer. I know you have lots of requests.
Old 12/30/04, 08:25 PM
GT Member

I honestly can't stand GM, don't want an SSR, or a GTO. It sure adds a level of resentment and a bad taste in your mouth when you find out that the interior you'd been waiting for since you saw the first production pictures was discontinued under shady circumstances in the middle of a production year with a gag order placed on people inside the company doesnt it? And the solution certaintly isn't to say buy another car, or look for one on a lot, it's to hold the company responsible for it's actions IRREGARDLESS of how nice the new mustang is. do you think I would feel this angry or hurt if I didnt REALLY want this car? But you HAVE to hold corporations responsible when they do clearly unethical things. The christmas tree anaology is bogus. It isn't december 25th in the car game, its 1/3rd thru the model year and cars are advertised for the ENTIRE YEAR. if they cannot deliver a product they SHOULD NOT take orders for it period and they shouldnt highlight it on their website. If they IUP is BROUGHT BACK, which is the main purpose of this message because it is INCUMBANT upon them to bring back the promise they made to their customers, u will hear NOT A PEEP out of me
Old 12/30/04, 08:25 PM
Bullitt Member

On topic/Off topic somewhat ----

Brad, does the IUP "light" really come w/ only 2 of the smaller gauges (i.e. oil, temp, ect) in the center of the dash instead of the four w/ the true IUP? What other items are missing? I could care less about MYCOLOR. Sorry too lazy to do search the original big IUP thread started a week or so ago. Any help you can offer. Thanks.

CALM DOWN DUDE!!! I am getting sick of you ranting worse then my 2 year old child. Ford did not do this on purpose and just to only YOU in the world. Do you know that over 120,000 people just lost their lives in seconds and you are carrying on like you not getting your IUP like it is the end of the world. GET OVER IT!!! If you have the money file suit and see where that takes you. jeez!!!

Quick Reply: IUP fiasco attempt 2