2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

iPod Peripheral problems...anyone else encounter this?

Old 12/27/06, 09:38 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod Peripheral problems...anyone else encounter this?

I've had the Peripheral (PXDP2) for about three months. I like the function (iPod is controlled via the Shaker's buttons). BUT, a month after it was installed I started receiving some erratic messages on the dash (parking brake on, brake fluid low, DTE error, etc). The first couple of times it happened I disconnected the battery. On the third event I left the messages on and took the car to the dealer (I have an 06 GT Premium Coupe). I completely forgot about the Peripheral so I neglected to tell the service agent that I had one installed. I was told that the entire cluster (gauge) needs to be replaced. The cluster is on back order so I'm still waiting. Meantime, with the Peripheral still installed I'm still getting the erratic message once in a while so I just disconnect/re-connect the battery.

On another forum, I found a fellow Mustang owner with the same exact issue. He turned his vehicle in to the dealer as well; he was told that the Peripheral device was the cause of the erratic message so he disconnected it. He's had no problem since, but he didn't say how long ago it was disconnected. At one point my problem didn't occur for at least one month, I'm just wondering if he just hasn't waited long enough.

He's tried contacting Peripheral for advice but he says that they won't address the issue. I'm probably gonna go ahead and disconnect the Peripheral. I haven't heard this type of problem from any of the boards I visit. I just think that it's too much of a coincidence for us to have the same exact problem with the same mod.
Old 12/27/06, 05:05 PM
Bullitt Member

eeek. I was going to order one of these this week. I guess I am waiting on that one.

Anyone else??
Old 12/27/06, 05:17 PM
V6 Member

I've had the Ipod2Car adapter from Periph since June... only had problems with their version 1 box for a month. After they sent out version 2, i have not had a problem since, love it.

I doubt the adapter is causing your gauge problems because if you go to places like mycarstats.com, there are people who are having same instrument display problems with a stock stang.
Old 12/27/06, 08:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Installed mine yesterday. Before reassembling all the interior panels, I tested it and it worked fine. Once I finished reassembly, pushing the Aux button resulted in a "No Aux Input" display. I somehow got it working but the next time I started the car up, it would not connect again. It has not connected since. Give it a couple more days and I'm ripping it all out and returning it.

BTW, is there a specific sequence to get this thing to work? In other words, must the head unit be powered up/down prior to connecting the Ipod???
Old 12/28/06, 11:11 AM
V6 Member

Can someone explain how these work? Do I need to buy something in order to connect my IPod? I am getting my car in a couple of weeks and would like to use my IPod but am not sure how it works? If you need to buy something, what is it, where can you get it and about how much is it?
Old 12/28/06, 11:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MBStang
Can someone explain how these work? Do I need to buy something in order to connect my IPod? I am getting my car in a couple of weeks and would like to use my IPod but am not sure how it works? If you need to buy something, what is it, where can you get it and about how much is it?
Yes you need to buy an adapter, although I think some of the later 2007 models MIGHT come with one, but Im not sure. This is the one we are talking about...http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1153337432303
Old 12/28/06, 11:30 AM
V6 Member

Thanks for the info. Bummer, I thought it was included. I will have to check with the dealer and see if it is.
Old 12/28/06, 12:38 PM
V6 Member

I was able to get a hold of Peripheral's Tech Support and then Customer Service. They are working with me as far as getting a replacement unit; although I had to do some major convincing so that I didn't have to buy another one from them and then get reimbursed after I sent the defective unit back. I'm happy that they're working with me despite the fact that I didn't buy directly from them, but they really put you through the gauntlet in trying to resolve the issue.

I was told by Tech Support that my issue is inherent with the first run of the product. I guess it's safe to assume that the problem is in fact with the Peripheral unit and not my gauge cluster. All I gave them was the model (PXDP2), not sure how they can tell the manufacture date from that (thought it was on the serial number). Either way, I hope the new one gets rid of my problem.

Willie - One thing I remember is that you have to make sure that the iPod has the latest firmware downloaded from Itunes. Also, I don't think there's a specific sequence that you have to follow to get the iPod to work. I just plug cable onto the iPod (doesn't matter whether iPod is on or off, it turns on automatically; it also doesn't matter whether the radio is on or off or whether the "aux" button is activated). Once the text for the song/track is displayed on the head unit I'm able to control the iPod from the head unit.

Anomalus1 - I must not be looking in the right section, I didn't see anything specific regarding the erratic messages that come on the message board of the dash. I saw bulleting for the erratic fuel level and a couple of other errors but not the same as what I experienced with mine. Is there anyway you can lead me to it? I really would like to get to the bottom of this. My cluster is on back order and right now I'm still not 100% convinced whether it's the cluster or the Peripheral.
Old 12/28/06, 01:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MBStang
If you're getting an '07, you can just plug the ipod in to the jack that's inside the console. It works fine on mine but you can't control the ipod from the car's radio controls and there's no readout on the factory stereo other than "AUX INPUT"; instead you have to select songs from the ipod itself.

I think the Peripheral unit that the others are talking about allow some control of the ipod functions from the car's stereo controls. I myself am waiting for a Ford-engineered solution.
Old 12/28/06, 02:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

ordered the one from Crutchfield.com, the PIE Adapter for $100, had it about a month, no problems.... clear crisp music from my ipod
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-a7em3or...e&i=469FRD4AUX
Old 12/28/06, 02:57 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Flippn
Anomalus1 - I must not be looking in the right section, I didn't see anything specific regarding the erratic messages that come on the message board of the dash. I saw bulleting for the erratic fuel level and a couple of other errors but not the same as what I experienced with mine. Is there anyway you can lead me to it? I really would like to get to the bottom of this. My cluster is on back order and right now I'm still not 100% convinced whether it's the cluster or the Peripheral.
Not really sure how i can help you if you don't let us know what messages you get or explain in depth what errors you experience. Everyone i've talked to and read on different sites have different erratic messages pop up on their intrument cluster which all lead back to a faulty electrical system. If you can explain it further, i can look more indepth into and try to help you out further. It's a really great piece and worth the money since you have basically full control of the ipod through the factory system.
Old 12/28/06, 04:08 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Anomalus1
Not really sure how i can help you if you don't let us know what messages you get or explain in depth what errors you experience. Everyone i've talked to and read on different sites have different erratic messages pop up on their intrument cluster which all lead back to a faulty electrical system. If you can explain it further, i can look more indepth into and try to help you out further. It's a really great piece and worth the money since you have basically full control of the ipod through the factory system.
I listed the messages I was getting in my first post, here it is again; parking brake on, brake fluid low, DTE error. Every time the problem comes back the messages are always the same. I can't explain any further than this (or more in depth) because the car does not exhibit any other symptom.

You mentioned in your previous post that over at mycarstats.com, there are people who are having same instrument display problems with a stock stang. But I couldn't find a bulletin stating the same messages I mentioned (could be that I'm not looking in the right place). I just figured, if you know where these posts where made you can lead me to them and I can see for myself if they are in fact having identical problems.

While I do agree that the piece is a great adapter I want to get to the root cause of the problem; to once and for all identify whether it's the cluster or the Peripheral. Peripheral's Tech Support themself did not deny the fact that the unit is causing the issue. All they said that the first production was causing problems but did not get in to specifics.

Sorry that I can't give more info.
Old 12/28/06, 04:24 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Flippn
I listed the messages I was getting in my first post, here it is again; parking brake on, brake fluid low, DTE error. Every time the problem comes back the messages are always the same. I can't explain any further than this (or more in depth) because the car does not exhibit any other symptom.

You mentioned in your previous post that over at mycarstats.com, there are people who are having same instrument display problems with a stock stang. But I couldn't find a bulletin stating the same messages I mentioned (could be that I'm not looking in the right place). I just figured, if you know where these posts where made you can lead me to them and I can see for myself if they are in fact having identical problems.

While I do agree that the piece is a great adapter I want to get to the root cause of the problem; to once and for all identify whether it's the cluster or the Peripheral. Peripheral's Tech Support themself did not deny the fact that the unit is causing the issue. All they said that the first production was causing problems but did not get in to specifics.

Sorry that I can't give more info.
If you read this post, you will see that the car's PCM seems to be tied to everything, including the Shaker due to its incorporation of speed sensitive volume. Perhaps by connecting the iPod to the Peripheral - and in turn to the Shaker - you are somehow sending a signal through to the PCM that is causing problems with you other display outputs.
Old 12/28/06, 04:43 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
If you read this post, you will see that the car's PCM seems to be tied to everything, including the Shaker due to its incorporation of speed sensitive volume. Perhaps by connecting the iPod to the Peripheral - and in turn to the Shaker - you are somehow sending a signal through to the PCM that is causing problems with you other display outputs.
Yup, just got done reading that post. It most definitely makes sense that the Peripheral can cause some kind of interferance with the PCM. I'm a little more convinced now. The replacement Peripheral is on its way, I hope it solves the problem. Otherwise, I might be looking at an aftermarket head unit. Thanks!
Old 12/28/06, 06:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same problem with the PIE adapter. I installed it, it kept losing power when I was away from the car for a while, then I got the DTE FLI Data error just a week later. I took the thing out and have not had any errors since and it's been well over a year.

I tried to tell the techs at PIE that the radio is tied to the PCM, but I don't think they took me seriously. Here are some quotes I pulled from the service manual:
The medium speed CAN is used for the audio unit, the instrument cluster, and the smart junction box (SJB) communications. The SJB, the instrument cluster and the audio unit use the medium speed CAN to communicate information back and forth such as dimming, fuel level, turn signal indicator on the instrument cluster and vehicle compensated volume.

The instrument cluster behaves as a communications network gateway transferring data from the high speed CAN to the medium speed CAN and from the medium speed CAN to the high speed CAN. Some of the data that the instrument cluster gateways is vehicle speed, fuel level and AC request. The medium speed CAN is not fault tolerant meaning that if one of the circuits are shorted to voltage then the medium speed CAN does not operate and communication is not possible.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Module Communications Network.pdf (293.5 KB, 280 views)
Old 12/29/06, 06:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

yes, the shaker units ARE tied or LINKED to the PCM. I had a major problem yesterday replacing my headunit due to cosmetic defect and I had problems because of the Ford Racing tune I had in the car, since it was linked to the shaker unit, and it would not allow me to replace or change the unit, it locked my ford dealer out from doing anything.

what a nightmare that was, just to replace the headunit.
Old 12/29/06, 07:16 AM
Cobra Member

You know these head units really are crap. Anyway I will just go right ahead and assume that based on maverick's story all the errors with the MP3 player compatibility are coming from 2 things.
1. Shaker and your Tune or MP3 adapter are not compatible
2.Shaker unit is crap
I think one of these two problems is whats giving you the problems your having, of course if they fixed problem # 2 problem this would probably not happen. I really doubt that it's the guage cluster and I would avoid lettting anyone go ripping my dash apart and replacing stuff
Old 12/29/06, 09:21 AM
V6 Member

Thanks for all the help folks. I'll replace the Peripheral with the supposed new version and see if the problems comes back. If it does come back then it'll removed permanently. At this point I'm pretty well convinced it's not the cluster.
Old 1/21/07, 12:29 PM
V6 Member

Update: I received the replacement unit last week and made the swap. It's only been a few days so it may be too early to say that the erratic message issue is gone for good. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 1/27/07, 10:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well I just installed my unit last weekend, and yesterday i got the eratic messages. So it looks like they havent fixed this problem, even with version 2 (which i got from best buy). Im going to take this thing out later today and return, geuss Im gonna have to wait until a unit comes out that actually works before i get to have my Ipod with me in my car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: iPod Peripheral problems...anyone else encounter this?