2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Interior plastic coloring on arm rests

Search this Thread

Old 8/18/05, 08:14 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be aware that the plastic on the arm rests of both doors that house the windows switches are only painted.
The paint on mine came off very easily when I used rubbing alcohol before I installed cover plates that attach with tape.
On most accessories that utilize the 3M type automotive tape to attach to interior and exterior body parts, one is supposed to use alcohol wipes to remove oil and grease for better surface contact. I used alcohol on the passenger side window switch plate and the color came off. :angry: It looks as if Ford just spray painted the plastic with really cheap dye or paint. Now I have to cover the arm rest switch plates.
So, do not use alcohol or other cleaners. Makes me wonder what I should use when the get dirty. :scratch:
Old 8/18/05, 08:20 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just an FYI, rubbing alcohol will damage interior parts of just about any car I have seen. It will leave streaks in panels and as you found out, remove paint in some cases. I know you were using it because you were applying 3M tape, which then yes, you should use rubbing alcohol but make sure you only use it in the area that will be covered afterwards.

When your car gets dirty just stick to using cleaners made for your car. You can use the old vinegar/water solution as well. That's what I have used for years and never had a problem. I also add a little bit of that "new car smell" stuff into the water while I am cleaning. Just leave the windows rolled down for a few hours after or the smell will kill ya.
Old 8/18/05, 08:22 AM

Sometimes alcohol can melt certain types of plastic. After the paint came off, is it a white or black plastic color but still smooth or is it now a rough texture with color still in it. The later would indicate that the plastic was melting.
Old 8/18/05, 08:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ford used cheap paint, no way!