2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

An interesting question comes to mind...

Search this Thread

Old 8/23/07, 01:10 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An interesting question comes to mind...

I was just reading some of your posts on here from those of you who are ordering and buying new '08's and it got me thinking and reflecting back to my own purchase last year...

I bought my '06 GT New off the lot during model year closeout in Aug. 06.
It had 104 miles on the odometer, since it spent almost 2 months on the lot, and was the last remaining 5 spd in my city when they announced 0% financing. I rushed out and beat several people to it, and snatched it up!

My question is this: What is everyones opinion on what is or isn't excessive milage for a car that is "brand new"? 5 miles? 100 miles?
To me, I thought having 104 was just about the limit I was willing to accept, since, it's not like they give you a price break for that, and that's a lot of "test driving" that probably wasn't completely gentle, on a brand new motor!
-gambi06
Old 8/23/07, 02:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
You made me curious.

My 2005 Mustang had 21 miles on the odometer when I took delivery (just looked up my finance contract) and that's for a car that I ordered from the factory. (interesting that I don't remember what the odo said when I took delivery of the car, I thought it was less?)

My 2002 Mustang had 27 miles on the odometer brand new.

IMO based on the above, your 100+ miles isn't too bad. Enjoy the car.
Old 8/23/07, 02:56 PM
Bullitt Member

I did a search for the car I wanted within 350 miles of me and there was only one like it. I bought my 07 GT off the dealership's used car lot w/ 1112 miles (was told it was a service mgrs. company loaner...it's possible) on the odo and was able to get it for $758 less than list. The car came w/ a new car title and w/ a factory warrantee in hand from the day I bought it, I felt comfortable and have no regrets on the deal. BTW, it was $22516 including the $1500 cash back, plus TTL (no other charges and no trade in to cloud the deal.)

Oh, and I got them to run a Carfax on it and change the oil/filter before I took delivery.
Old 8/23/07, 03:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Aparently, they drive it after assembly to test it...but when I was testing cars for purchase, knowing the one I was test driving wasn't the one I was going to buy, I hammered it.
Old 8/23/07, 03:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

I got my '07 practically as it was backed off the truck. It had 7 miles. I think that's the lowest mileage I'd ever seen on an odometer.

With most cars, even 100 miles worth of test drives wouldn't bother me. With a performance car, I'd be a little, but not overly concerned. I would think that brand new Mustangs, Vettes, etc. should be able to handle a couple of smokey burnouts without damage. Of course, the more miles on it, the more I'd check the body/wheels for chips, nicks, etc.

I'm not sure I'd take a "new" car with over 1,000 miles unless I got a substantial discount.
Old 8/23/07, 03:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took delivery of my car with only 9 miles on the odometer. 5 of which were from my dad driving it back to our house. So mine only had 4 miles on it when we picked it up!
Old 8/23/07, 03:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Mine had less than 5 miles (edit: just checked my records... odo said 3 miles) on it but I picked it up the day after it got delivered and my salesman was real good about parking it in the back away from prying eyes. If it's been in the lot for a few weeks it's probably acceptable to have 20 miles on it since it was probably test driven. I also saw a thread some 2 years ago where one car had an official ford sticker on it that said something like "this car was randomly chosen to perform a quality inspection at the factory blah blah" and had something like 25 miles on it. IMO, 100 miles is a little excessive but I guess not outrageous. I personally wouldn't buy a "new" car with 500-1000 miles on it though.
Old 8/23/07, 03:40 PM
Cobra Member

The car might have been dealer traded. 100 miles is a lot of test drives.
Old 8/23/07, 04:10 PM
GT Member

Bought mine off the showroom floor with 28 miles on it.
Old 8/23/07, 04:34 PM
V6 Member

I just picked up my 08 this week. It had 3 miles on it.
Old 8/23/07, 05:21 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by citizen arcane
I did a search for the car I wanted within 350 miles of me and there was only one like it. I bought my 07 GT off the dealership's used car lot w/ 1112 miles (was told it was a service mgrs. company loaner...it's possible) on the odo and was able to get it for $758 less than list. The car came w/ a new car title and w/ a factory warrantee in hand from the day I bought it, I felt comfortable and have no regrets on the deal. BTW, it was $22516 including the $1500 cash back, plus TTL (no other charges and no trade in to cloud the deal.)

Oh, and I got them to run a Carfax on it and change the oil/filter before I took delivery.
A Ford Quality dealership.
I have worked at places where that car would have been on the new car showroom floor.
Old 8/23/07, 05:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine had 8 miles on it, and was an ordered car. They told me the service guys drove it around the block like they do every car to check everything. They then drove it to the gas station a mile away to fill it up for me before pickup. I am confident they were gentile though, since I ordered it from the Dealership GM himself. (him and my dad are old buddies) I know he oversaw the unload because he was calling me from the parking lot as it was coming off the trailer.
Old 8/23/07, 05:59 PM

I got mine off the lot with only 4 miles on it. It just arrived the night before I test drove it. I put a mile on it test driving it and then told them I wanted it. Picked it up 2 days later with the 5 miles on the odo.
Old 8/23/07, 09:25 PM
V6 Member

Thanks everyone for your responses!
Pretty much what I had guessed about ordered cars, they of course would have almost no miles, since they are coming right from the factory.
I didn't have that option, since I was going model closeout, tho!
Old 8/23/07, 09:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Marc, I wouldn't be too worried about the mileage. In some cases, a dealer may only have 1 GT and thats the car that everyone has to test drive, hence the extra mileage. I know our F350 has over 100 miles on it, as it was the 1st one we got in the new 6.4L diesel, so everyone drove it that came in wanting to see the new Super Duty. Same thing with the Edge. Our 1st one had over 150 miles before it was sold. New vehicle, lots of eager test drives to see if customers like it.

When it comes to test drives in GT's, I go with the customers all the time. No one will "hammer the car" when I'm with them. Customer is welcome to give it some juice (no burnouts or test drive is over) but I always remind them, its our car, but your speeding ticket, and you don't own it yet. I don't want to be a hard***, but I want to be fair to the person who eventually will buy the car.

I tell you a story. I had a customer who wanted a 5-speed Focus, when they 1st came out in 2000. We didn't have one, and they were extremely popular. I found one in upstate Pa, buy the PA/NY border. Once I got the invoice I saw that it was originally from upstate NY. Told the customer it would most likely have over 450 miles on it. She didn't care, she wanted a 5-speed Focus. It came in and had 515 miles. She was thrilled to have one, and loved it after I called her a week later. So if you want a car bad enough, and don't want to pay extra to get the car flatbedded back, be prepared to have some mileage on it, depending on how far out they have to get it. Its really no big deal. Saves you the time of driving out there yourself.
Old 8/24/07, 05:49 AM

3.0 miles here.
Old 8/24/07, 06:56 AM

Do I win???
Attached Thumbnails An interesting question comes to mind...-mvc-002f.jpg   An interesting question comes to mind...-mvc-017f.jpg  
Old 8/24/07, 07:21 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by LurchII

Do I win???
Probably.
In all my years, I don't think I've seen anything lower than that arrive on a dealer lot.
Old 8/24/07, 08:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by LurchII

Do I win???
No...they must have turned it back!

Seriously, that's incredible! One would think just getting it from the end of the production line to the truck would be a mile, let alone unloading, parking, servicing, etc. (Maybe they backed it up all the way? )
Old 8/24/07, 08:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

My '05 GT had 97mi on it, my '07 GT/CS had 2.5mi on it both were ordered ..go figure ??

Quick Reply: An interesting question comes to mind...