2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interested in 2005 Mustang But need to know

Search this Thread

Old 11/21/04, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I currently own a Lexus IS300. I've had it for almost 4 yrs now and its dog slow .. Anyways I been to the dealership seen the new Mustang and I love it. I would just curious about reliability when it comes to this car. Any one has any major problems with the car. I know its only been out for a couple of months but just curious.I've been trouble free with the Lexus and would like to stay that way. I would just like to know the pro and cons for this car.

Thanks alot
Old 11/21/04, 10:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

We have several threads on this. Might be worth a search.

And welcome to the forums!
Old 11/21/04, 10:31 PM

Thanks.. I tried the search but did not get the info i was lookin for.
Old 11/21/04, 11:40 PM
V6 Member

its a new car and you can buy an extended warrenty if you wish for 5 years.... so consider it reliable for at least that long
Old 11/21/04, 11:47 PM
FR500 Member

No one on the planet can truthfully answer your question at this time.
Ask again in 2010!
Good luck!
Old 11/22/04, 01:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Try this thread for some information.
Old 11/22/04, 01:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Expecting Lexus quality will be asking for a lot (too much?), but it doesn't seem to be any general faults on it....so far....
Old 11/22/04, 02:03 PM
Cobra Member

Arnold, about the only isues that have been mentioned is a noise in the rear end on deceleration, which sounds like a ring and pinion gear backlash setting problem, and then some problems with the stereo system not playing CDs/MP3s/CD-R/RWs. Both are issues that I would suggest that people address with their dealers immediately, especially the rear end issue; but it doesn't happen on all cars and we haven't heard any offical word of what the problem may be, if any. The rear end is the same that's been tested for decades, just redesigned to compliment the suspension and hadling capabilities of the car, so I'm sure any issues will be simple to resolve and won't be a major problem issue. However, I'm sure you're aware that this is a complete redesign and of course there are going to be bugs that need to be worked out. It does seem to be very well engineered and very well constructed, so I don't foresee these cars being problematic.
Old 11/22/04, 02:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

IMO - The pluses of a Lexus versus the Mustang seem different. Sounds like you want to do some "spirited driving". As stated previously by others, while it is too early to tell, you gonna get alot of bang for your bucks ....!
Old 11/24/04, 01:43 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't have a Lexus, but I've driven Toyota Camrys for twelve years. I may very well find the Mustang doesn't have the reliability of the Toyota, but there are a lot of other issues - like feeling your car is a sloth!

Knowing your car is reliable doesn't mean as much when you feel no pride or pleasure driving it.

B)
Old 11/24/04, 03:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by Nazgul@November 24, 2004, 12:46 AM

Knowing your car is reliable doesn't mean as much when you feel no pride or pleasure driving it.

B)
I couldn't have said it better myself.....'nuff said. B)
Old 11/24/04, 04:04 AM
GT Member

IS300 is a tough act to follow on quality, but I must admit to being very impressed with my '05 GT's build quality. Better than any Ford I ever met before.

I may be a bit premature here, but I think we are finally starting to get new cars from the advanced computer developement programs of recent years. Manufacturers can test all sorts of designs now in cyberdom before they ever bend a piece of sheet metal.
Old 11/24/04, 06:10 AM
GT Member

The responses above are well considered. What we are feeling is an improved build quality, and believe it will take the car towards the lexus type reliability.

Drive the '04 and '05, and you will get a feel for the track we think the Mustang is on. I like the '04, yet the '05 has made leaps in quality feel. This way you can judge the changes yourself, and make your own opinions of where the car might be, in terms of quality. Only time will tell, however.

You can search to see forum member's opinions on the car. There are posts on problems, threads on overall impressions. But, for long term quality, we will need a long term.

Good luck.
Old 11/24/04, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the replys guys.. My car is a 2001 and a first YR built and i know I had alot of problems with this car.I was kind of doubtfull of buying a first yr production car again because of my experience. Thankfully Lexus fixed them under warranty.
I will probably wait till the 2006 Mustang comes out and then go from there.
I've read the reviews on the Mustang and the car is incredible I cant wait. For the money u cant go wrong

Thanks again for all the replys
Old 11/24/04, 09:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Lex2525@November 24, 2004, 9:34 AM
Thanks for the replys guys.. My car is a 2001 and a first YR built and i know I had alot of problems with this car.I was kind of doubtfull of buying a first yr production car again because of my experience. Thankfully Lexus fixed them under warranty.
I will probably wait till the 2006 Mustang comes out and then go from there.
I've read the reviews on the Mustang and the car is incredible I cant wait. For the money u cant go wrong

Thanks again for all the replys
didn't you say you were "trouble free" with the Lexus in the first post?
Old 11/24/04, 09:31 AM

Well there were little things like Head light Condensation and moonroof problems. The CD deck also died out on me.I also got 4 brand new tires because of a tire recall. Little things but nothing major like engine or transmission problems. I have 41k miles on the car
Old 11/24/04, 10:02 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Lex2525@November 24, 2004, 11:34 AM
Well there were little things like Head light Condensation and moonroof problems. The CD deck also died out on me.I also got 4 brand new tires because of a tire recall. Little things but nothing major like engine or transmission problems. I have 41k miles on the car
As said before, we can't predict the future.

Typically you will see the little things like that in all cars. Overall, most mustang owners are pretty satisfied with the quality. Both of my previous mustangs were very reliable. One was a first year prodx, the other was a last year of prodx.

The interior parts are more plastic than a lexus, but, in a Mustang it is the "fun to drive" and "pride of ownership" that really hooks us.

Once you are bitten by the sound/feel of an american V8 engine, it is hard to want anything else. I looked at an M3. nice car, but, it didn't sound/feel like a V8, so I am waiting on the Cobra. I'll look at the next M3, which is supposed to get a V8, but, doubt I will spend the expectantly high price tag.

Notice how you act/feel when you are looking at the Mustang. If start looking for them on the road everywhere you go, start pointing them out to your family, can't wait to go see one at the dealership and grin from ear to ear when you finally get that test drive, then it is too late. You are already a Mustang fan. Might as well go buy it. You will enjoy it.
Old 11/24/04, 01:48 PM

Thanks for your input. I myself was holding out for the Next Generation Lexus IS350 supposedly 300hp from what I've heard..But after seeing the Mustang plus like u said the American V8 I feel thats the way to go. Plus save some cash...LOL
Old 11/24/04, 03:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Lexus has great fit and finish, inside and outside. The new Mustang has improved fit and finish from the previous generation. As one of the other posters mentioned, more computer design before building prototypes would seem to be a big reason. Another would be the precision with which the unit body is constructed. Having toured the AAI plant, I can attest to it. The Mustang body shop is highly automated and precision checking is done with very small tolerances. It was amazing to watch Mustang bodies coming together by robots. The Mazda manufacturing influence has greatly helped the new car.

Parts reliability, like the little things you mentioned on your IS300, is what is definitely an unknown at this point. As another person said, we will need a "long term" before seeing what things fail.

Good luck!
Old 11/24/04, 03:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by crazyhorse@November 24, 2004, 9:05 AM

Notice how you act/feel when you are looking at the Mustang. If start looking for them on the road everywhere you go, start pointing them out to your family, can't wait to go see one at the dealership and grin from ear to ear when you finally get that test drive, then it is too late. You are already a Mustang fan. Might as well go buy it. You will enjoy it.
Great analogy....I Love It! It sounds like you're referring to me, 'cuz that's just how I felt to a tee!

Quick Reply: Interested in 2005 Mustang But need to know