2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Insurance question

Search this Thread

Old 8/28/05, 07:34 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forgive me, but this will be my first new car purchase. I've noticed a lot of buyers say that they have to have proof of insurance on their mustang before their dealer will let them drive it off the lot. Is this true for all, or is it on a state by state basis? I remember my friend just bought a new car and never had to do this. I figured as long as you were insured, it would be ok to drive off and settle the policy change the next day. I just want to make sure I get everything done prior so I don't have to go through the agony of waiting while my car is on the lot! If I have to find out my VIN and arrange the policy in advance then I better get on it. Thanks
Old 8/28/05, 07:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

It's state by state.

In Michigan, you do need proof of insurance before you can leave with the car.
Old 8/28/05, 07:49 PM

that's why you pick up your car on the weekend.

I think it's law in IL, but I've never had a problem. As long as my insurance from my previous car is good, they let me drive away, as long as I call the insurance on monday.

If your insurance company is one of the bigger ones, they usually have people there on the weekends and they'll either switch it over immediately or just fax you the proper papers to get you insured until you can actually switch everything over.

jason
Old 8/28/05, 07:50 PM
GT Member

You need to call about insurance either way. In NJ, it took 10 buisiness days for me to insurance. When my car finally arrived, it sat in the parking lot for a few days.

Call about insurance and find out what you need. Your salesman can tell you, but getting quotes is probably a good idea. The quotes I got ranged from over $6,000 a year to the $2200 I'm paying now.

Good luck.
Old 8/28/05, 09:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm in GA, bought my car in Alabama, and had to show my insurance card so the dealership could notify them of the purchase. Bought the car on a Thurs. evening and on Fri, the ins. co. already knew about the purchase by the time I got there that afternoon.
Old 8/28/05, 09:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by teddybear1255@August 28, 2005, 10:27 PM
I'm in GA, bought my car in Alabama, and had to show my insurance card so the dealership could notify them of the purchase. Bought the car on a Thurs. evening and on Fri, the ins. co. already knew about the purchase by the time I got there that afternoon.
Same here......Live in MS, bought in TN. When I got to the insurance office the next day, they already had my new cards waiting on me.