2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Insurance put on cheap driver's side mirror

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/09 | 12:52 PM
V6 Member

Insurance put on cheap driver's side mirror

Okay here is my problem, my wife took my 07 Stang to work, because her car wouldn't start due to the sub-zero conditions, and slid off the very icy road in the process. Very little damage, a cracked mirror, and a new front bumper... So I get my car back from the repair shop, beautiful job! Except for one small detail. I explicitly told them to use OEM parts, so they stick on a driver's side mirror with this phony looking mirror! Anyone know where I can get an OEM mirror relatively inexpensive so I can have the body shop re-do their work?
Old 1/5/09 | 12:56 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

If that were possible one would been installed in the first place
Old 1/5/09 | 01:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

fleebay??
Old 1/5/09 | 01:51 PM
Cobra Member

Just the mirror? Let me go look in my box of parts. I believe I still have mine from when I did my Agent 47 mirrors.

I'll get back with you.

-danny
Old 1/5/09 | 02:16 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

I'd just pop for the A47's if your going to go through the expense of replacing them again.
Old 1/5/09 | 02:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

An 07 Stang should have had OEM replacement pieces, not aftermarket junk. Look at your estimate and determine who is at fault, Insurance Adjuster or shop. In any case make notification in writing to both that repairs are not up to standard and you will be filing a claim for a supplement. Specify reason for claim and disatisfaction. YOU should not have to purchase anything...that is why you have insurance in the first place. Now...if the shop was trying to save you some cash on your deductible...then you may be out of luck!
Old 1/5/09 | 02:36 PM
V6 Member

I appreciate all of the help thus far guys! Keep it coming!
Old 1/5/09 | 05:01 PM
I lust for a M24

Your insurance policy is a contract, and whether or not the year of your vehicle has anything to do with the insurance companies 'right' to put a/m parts on your vehicle is stipulated in your policy.* Most states have laws where the insurance company is required to notify you if they're using a/m parts. Look on your estimate. The estimate should either list an OE part number, or state something like "aftermarket, quality replacement part, etc". A few years back, State Farm (the nation's largest insurer) got sued for using inferior a/m parts and since then, most insurance companies require from their vendors that the parts be 'certified' (CAPA, MQVP, etc). The certifications normally indicate that the part is equal to an OE part, and not "aftermarket junk". That said, a/m parts can still have fitment problems, and when they do it's the bodyshop's responsibility to notify the insurance adjuster that the part is not acceptable. When you get your car back, you should not be able to tell if an a/m part was used without looking at the stamping on the part. So, I wonder - how can you tell that the part used is aftermarket (ie - what's wrong with it) and have you notified your bodyshop?

*Individual state insurance laws may supersede the policy.
Old 1/6/09 | 06:15 AM
V6 Member

I can tell it is aftermarket just by looking through the mirror and by comparing it to the still intact passenger side mirror. If any of you have ever looked through a "cheap" mirror, the reflection looks VERY fuzzy and it was not like that before my wife's little mishap. So I looked at my estimate, and it looks as if the mirror came from a fly-by-night place called Smart Parts...? Anybody ever heard of them? Anyway it is definitely not an OEM part, it may be certified, but that doesn't mean that it fits my standards.

Last edited by 07VistaBlueStang; 1/6/09 at 07:41 AM.
Old 1/6/09 | 08:54 AM
GT Member

I got my drivers side mirror replaced from www.monsterautoparts.com As I recall, it was about $70 bucks shipped UPS. Fit and finish is excellent. It even accurately replicates the texture of the OEM plastic. The only piece you need to salvage from the old mirror are the three retaining nuts. PM me if you want pictures or have questions.

If you are really OCD about your car, then just buy through Ford.

Last edited by sook; 1/6/09 at 08:56 AM.
Old 1/6/09 | 02:44 PM
GT Member

As requested by PM, here are pictures of the monsterautoparts.com drivers side mirror
Attached Thumbnails Insurance put on cheap driver's side mirror-drivers-mirror-1.jpg   Insurance put on cheap driver's side mirror-drivers-mirror-2.jpg  
Old 1/6/09 | 04:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

The difference between an aftermarket mirror and an OEM mirror is less than $20. Have the shop redo it or just pay out of pocket if they're gonna be @ssholes. My insurance didn't want to go OEM either but the Ford shop doing the work got me one (I was ready to buy it myself) and ate the difference since it was under $20. Thank you Oasis Ford of Old Bridge!
Attached Thumbnails Insurance put on cheap driver's side mirror-0521071454a-large-.jpg   Insurance put on cheap driver's side mirror-zaino-9.19.08-driver-side-large-.jpg  
Old 1/7/09 | 01:57 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 07VistaBlueStang
I can tell it is aftermarket just by looking through the mirror and by comparing it to the still intact passenger side mirror. If any of you have ever looked through a "cheap" mirror, the reflection looks VERY fuzzy and it was not like that before my wife's little mishap. So I looked at my estimate, and it looks as if the mirror came from a fly-by-night place called Smart Parts...? Anybody ever heard of them? Anyway it is definitely not an OEM part, it may be certified, but that doesn't mean that it fits my standards.
This may sound stupid and please feel free to ignore me if I'm wrong but I had the same thing happen on an older Ford a few years ago...the reflection was a bit cloudy.

I took it back to the body-shop where the young lad there gave me a look and carefully peeled the protective plastic off the glass...
Old 1/7/09 | 05:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

I've been having the same problem with my insurance company since I hit a deer back in November, which took a month to settle! if you didn't see my post, I needed a new hood, bumper, fender and headlight. the problem I ran into was my insurance company tried to get a GT-Take off hood, a refurbished headlight, and a "used" front bumper. the only thing brand spankin new OEM was the fender. after a month, I finally got the insurance company to go all brand new OEM parts.

FYI to everyone who owns a mustang and future reference in the event of an accident, make sure to "READ" the adjuster/estimate papers before submitting the car to a body/repair facility. it will tell you what parts the insurance company is trying to swing at you, (used, refurbished, take off, OEM, or aftermarket)

Last edited by MaverickMLFD371; 1/7/09 at 05:30 AM.
Old 1/7/09 | 11:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Reading this makes me thankful for my insurance company. When a deer hit me last summer, I took it to the adjuster (who happened to be the owner of an 05 Stang). He told me that due to my car's age (less than a year at the time) and perfect condition, only OEM parts would be used. After it was all said and done, I got a letter from the insurance co. telling me that they had reviewed my claim and determined that the damage wasn't sufficient to have long term impact on the value of the car. In other words, if there was significant damage they would have bought me a new car! I'm very satisfied with the way they handled my claim.
Old 1/7/09 | 11:55 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Arkady001
This may sound stupid and please feel free to ignore me if I'm wrong but I had the same thing happen on an older Ford a few years ago...the reflection was a bit cloudy.

I took it back to the body-shop where the young lad there gave me a look and carefully peeled the protective plastic off the glass...
I thought of that, no such luck though. Thanks for the pics Sook, I will be calling that body shop back. They sent me a survey of what I thought about their service... If I don't get anywhere with them it looks like I will go OEM as its just not worth the hassle.
Old 1/7/09 | 02:40 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 07VistaBlueStang
I thought of that, no such luck though. Thanks for the pics Sook, I will be calling that body shop back. They sent me a survey of what I thought about their service... If I don't get anywhere with them it looks like I will go OEM as its just not worth the hassle.
Anytime. When someone changed lanes into my mirror, I didn't even bother looking into OEM assuming the price would have an enormous markup. My replacement mirror exceeded my expectation and the glass was pristine. Though if I had known that OEM wasn't that much more expensive, I would have gone with them
Old 1/8/09 | 07:03 PM
Bullitt Member

women
Old 1/9/09 | 01:32 AM
Cobra Member

Is it just the mirror itself that seems off?
Old 1/9/09 | 06:29 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mas35NYR
The difference between an aftermarket mirror and an OEM mirror is less than $20. Have the shop redo it or just pay out of pocket if they're gonna be @ssholes. My insurance didn't want to go OEM either but the Ford shop doing the work got me one (I was ready to buy it myself) and ate the difference since it was under $20. Thank you Oasis Ford of Old Bridge!

I think Oasis is now Able Ford... at least that is what the sign said yesterday when i passed by. I had good and bad experiences with Oasis with other cars. Let's just say they fixed what their mechanic totally screwed up. I wonder if they have changed owners. When I looked for my car, I got my Mustang from Fullerton in Somerville.
I sure would pay the extra to get OEM - when my car got hit back in the summer I got OEM for replacement parts. I guess it all depends on your insurance and what they stipulate.

Quick Reply: Insurance put on cheap driver's side mirror